Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 07:53 AM   #11
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty4:
On the issue of summons, you can't summon before the square starts, but you CAN summon after the rest of your party are off screwing around . I beat the squares with a fighter4/cleric, and having 6 greater drowned ones really helped (great strength on them, and even better resistences)

If you have a good warrior/cleric, I'd recomend them over a paladin for summons and the Heal spell, and since they can re-buff themselves. It is your choice what you want to do.
With the patch installed, anyn monsters you summon will join the rest of the party outside after a round or two.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:54 AM   #12
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

thanks guys!

i am on the 9th lever when it dawned on me that i need to fight 25 battles for each rank. does the comp remember that i have done the previous levels if i return to do the previous ranks? i hope so or else i may have to take a break from the dale to get the frustration out.

when BoB mentioned 250+ battles i thought that i was an approximation.

Spoiler!
I don't seem to be needing that patch to keep my party in the chamber. I just position them in the far corner - out of sight grom the golem - and use them to bombard the monster with ranged weapons. Only thing, if you keep the monster on the central square (and within the golem's field of view) the other party members do not get transported away. If you allow the monster to mave away and the golem sees your friends, they get teleported away to that waiting room. Also if the golem leaves the doorway (obviously since you tried to fight away from the field of view of the golem) there is a chance that the monster may flee and then you may not be able to kill it within the stipulated 60 seconds.
end spoiler!

this is my strategy but then i'm still to devise a method to deal with galugons, elementals, glabrezus and the like. I prefer shadows, werewolves feyrs etc. so as of now i quick save and reload till the monster of my choice appears. Also between monsters, I sometimes wait for the periapt of healing to heal my fighter's 140-odd HP. Life is crawling along...
Either learn or leave
Serak Moonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:26 AM   #13
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Serak Moonblade:
does the comp remember that i have done the previous levels if i return to do the previous ranks? i hope so or else i may have to take a break from the dale to get the frustration out.

Yes!! The computer will remember whatever you completed!

Quote:
I don't seem to be needing that patch to keep my party in the chamber. I just position them in the far corner - out of sight grom the golem - and use them to bombard the monster with ranged weapons.
You misunderstood me. The patch fixes this problem, in the sense if you have the patch the party should be always teleported away (AFAIK). Your party members are not supposed to stay in the chamber.

Quote:
this is my strategy but then i'm still to devise a method to deal with galugons, elementals, glabrezus and the like.
One of the rewards for one of the levers (5 IIRC) is something that will help you very very much against those. The fights will become much easier after that.

btw, if you go outside there is that gnome who was eaten by the Remorhaz... he can cast some cool protections on you (for a price, but money shouldnt be a problem; selling the ammo you get from the battle squares gives you tons of gp), including improved invisibility, and both fireshields (improved invis is very helpful here)... It would be good if only the fastest guy goes to him (monk or barbarian if you have one) while rest wait at the door because duration of those is limited

[ 02-18-2005, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 02-18-2005, 11:15 PM   #14
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Your dwarf barbarian should hav plenty of hit points to last for until the end of each rank and be fast enough to take out the monsters quickly. Use barbarian rage.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:09 AM   #15
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

AAAHH! If only it were that simple. By the time my dwarf fighter has eliminated a feyr (anything more, even a werewolf, is too much for him) he has about 10-20 HP left. After finishing IWD on Insane, I fancied myself quite a good fighter but even with the rest of the party shooting arrows at the monster, the situation is nearly the same. I have a few interviews coming up in the next few days so will take some time off from the dale. Hope when I return, things will be brighter...
Either learn or leave
Old 02-23-2005, 05:33 PM   #16
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Try having a wepaon that has greater reach, ie two-handed sword and stand outside the northern door way. The bigger cretaures can't get out, but the sword can hit in. Halberds also works, as do rnaged weapons, but these lend to take longer to kill the monsters.
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:53 AM   #17
Magness
Quintesson

That's a good idea, Aragorn. It also helps to have a variety of weapon types, since different monsters are vulnerable to different types of damage. For example, if a bone golem appears, you should switch to a blunt weapon.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:06 AM   #18
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

well hi again!

thanks for all the posts.

I have my paladin who wields a two-handed sword so i guess she should be my next choice.

but another thing...
to complete one rank we need to finish 3,4,5,6,7 squares. i.e. we need to do the same lever 5 times securing one of each of the above each time. right? at least i think that is the objective. but when i played the first lever i got 3 squares once, then 4, then 3 again, and 3 again. so how do i finish the rank. After that i tried the second lever and a similar thing happened. what do i do?
Either learn or leave
Old 02-25-2005, 11:07 AM   #19
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Ranks finish when you get 3 squares in a row. To avoid it, do the squares in a different pattern.

Also, you will want to eventually switch your paladin over to long swords.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 05:28 AM   #20
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Magness:
That's a good idea, Aragorn. It also helps to have a variety of weapon types, since different monsters are vulnerable to different types of damage. For example, if a bone golem appears, you should switch to a blunt weapon.
I can't claim the credit myself, I read it somewhere else, can't remember where.
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote