Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2002, 03:57 PM   #21
Obsidian the Black
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum Kerr:
Selleth has now turned to the moon goddess, Selune, and has found that her power, when applied to good, is tenfold what it used to be as a priestess of Lloth.
Yay, praise to the moon goddess Selūne!!
Obsidian the Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 08:38 PM   #22
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

HAHAHA
A party of 6 level 30 characters? LOL
Why dont you just get a god to stroll through this game.

IIRC, Elminster was level 29 or 30.
Drizzt was a 16th level ranger with old 2nd edition rules, Twinkle a +5 and hhis +3 (+6) frost scimitar.
Wulfgar for all his strength was only 8 or 9th level.
Bruenor was 11th or 12th.
Even the Queen of evermeet, one of the most powerful elven mages ever was only 24th level!

Hold on while i whip out a single character ive been working on:
She is a 30th fighter/30th cleric of imater/30th mage/30th paladin/30th sorceror/18th druid hexuple classed character dual wielding two holy avengers with some 600+HP.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:37 PM   #23
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Funny you should say that. Just for kicks I made a level 30 (1pal/29fighter) Dual weilding two (HoF)holy avengers just to see what it looked like... Funny as hell! Impressive damage and you cant beat a "to hit" of 58! hahahah!
Old 11-19-2002, 10:14 PM   #24
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Madrigal Five:
And with the level distribution like that (Fighter10/Barbarian1/Ranger5), I guess that means Drizzt suffers a 20% XP penalty.
Wouldn't he be suffering 40% exp penalty? Or 60% exp penalty? I believe it is an additional 20% penalty for each class that is not within 1 level of the highest level class (or is that the favored class?). Since Drow favored class is socerer, and Drizzt doesn't have it, that would mean 60% if it is favored class or 40% if it is highest level class.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 10:08 AM   #25
Madrigal Five
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
I didn't say it was the cap, but the game was balanced taking into account that level 20 chars where the best. How many first or second edition book/quest do you know that where made for level 20+ characters, or even had a place for them? All handbooks and quests where made for characters lower in level than that.
Ah, ok. I misunderstood you when you said "level 20 was the max level in D&D pen and paper game".

Quote:

You don't know why Drizzt has a barbarian level!? Don't you remember when he was in the underdark for years in the first trilogy, and he kept saying how he was starting to turn into the "slayer", a mindless killing machine. Oh, and Drizzt didn't read the player's handbook before triple clasing, so he didn't know he would have an xp penalty.
I guess I still have a stereotyped view of all Barbarians as "Conans-in-Fur-Loincloths," but I guess Drizzt's mushroom-eating days in the Underdark would explain his having the Barbarian Rage ability.

Out of curiousity, what's Elminster's levels in 3E? He used to be a 22(not sure) mage.
Madrigal Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 10:56 AM   #26
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I'll type it exactly as it is typed in the book:

Male Human (Chosen of Mystra) Fighter 1/Rogue 2/Cleric 3/Wizard 24 /Archmage 5

As you can see, they remade his stats based on the novel describing his youth. Did you read it? His classes make more sense if you did.

Here are his base attributes: hp 369; Al:CG; SV Fort +29, Ref +25, Will +29; Str 13, Dex 18, Con 24, Int 27, Wis 18, Cha 17, Height 6ft. 2in.

[ 11-20-2002, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 11-20-2002, 02:03 PM   #27
Madrigal Five
Dungeon Master

Thanks!

Didn't read the novel on Elminster, though. What I read was the "Hall of Heroes" Forgotten Realms supplement (now collecting dust somewhere around here), and that's in 1st Edition rules. So while they mention that Elminster has taken up different classes in his past, due to the rules they could only list him as a Magic-user of 26th level (I think I got his level right this time). Looks like it's hooray for the 3E rules once again.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:30 PM   #28
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

Actually if you get a character fast and powerful enough its better NOT dualwielding holy avengers...
As the max number of attacksis 5 its better just having 1 avenger hitting 5 times, rather than 4 + 1 and the to hit reduction that dualwielding penalises the player.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:11 AM   #29
Madrigal Five
Dungeon Master

I agree with the PooBa. Once you reach the 5 attacks/round limit, the only use I see for dual-wielding is if it's with weapons that provide different equipped abilities -- like, say, Light of Cera Sumat + Golden Heart of (+30 Spell Resistance, Unlimited Dispel Magic + Strength & Dexterity bonus, Haste, Freedom of Action).
Old 11-22-2002, 05:04 AM   #30
DrakenKorin
The Magister

Elminster having 300+ HP is ridiculous.

Thats all.
DrakenKorin is offline   Reply With Quote