Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2002, 05:40 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Notice of reference...All the posts that I have following this notice was copied off of Planet Baulders' Gate main page...which contains excerpts from the BIOWARE message forums, and the answers to questions straight from the designers and producers of the game.

quote:

Number of undead and an undead city:

Don't worry, there'll be plenty of undead in IWD2, so Turn Undead will come in handy from time to time. Keep in mind, too, that higher level enemy clerics will summon in undead from time to time as well.

================================================== ==================

Scimitars, random drops and other items:

As with all random drop weapons in IWD2, scimitars have been shown extra love to make them better. You can expect ot see some very effective scimitars in IWD2.

No, we don't make them up as soon as we see a post.

The random drop items were designed quite a while ago (I know, I designed them). They are currently being implemented into the game as I type this. Being as there are so many of them, it takes some time to create them in the item editor (someone else is doing this part). EVERY item has been implemented in the game according to its power level relative to an area. This includes all the weapons, armor, rings, wands, ammo, cloaks, etc. It was very important from the start to make sure that items were balanced according to the relative character level and game area. This way, every character type should be able to find useful items to help them in their current areas/quests and be able to use them effectively even further in the game if they so choose.

Better darts: No worries, darts have been improved along with all the other items in IWD2. Darts are part of the Random Drop Table, so we needed to make a variety of interesting darts to keep up with the other goodies. In fact, one dart you may find early in the game (I say "may" because of that whole random drop thing) is:

Returning Frost Dart

Damage: 1D3
Damage Type: Missile (piercing)
Special:
Frost: 25% chance +1D6 cold damage
Returning: Returns to user
Weight: 0
Speed Factor: 1
Proficiency Type: Missile Weapons
Type: 1-handed

Keep in mind this is a dart that can be found fairly early in the game, so the odds are better than good you will find some really kick-butt darts later in the game. Believe me when I say there is a weapon that should please just about everyone. All weapons were made with the mindset, "What would be kick-ass in a battle for (fill in the class)."
Chad Nicholas (Scriptor)
Enemies referring to others you have already killed: You shouldn't see anything like that in IWD2. If there is a NPC that refers to his allies in dialog, then they'll be alive when he refers to them.

Randomization for replay ability: Well, remember that you had already played through the area and remembered that there were traps there. Other people playing with HoW may not have known about the traps their first time through. Save and Load are sometimes a bane to game design when you're trying to keep an encounter feeling fresh. In IWD2, we use as much randomization as possible so that when you save and reload, the AI does things a bit differently - just enough to keep you on your toes.

Game balance: Yes, I believe it is better balanced. You'll have to decide for yourself once you play the game if it truly is or not.

Multiplayer performance:

I just checked with Josh Grant, the Project Supervisor of IWD II, and he said the multiplayer performance is currently the same as the IWD series. We are of course still trying to improve this.

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]

Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 10:14 PM   #2
Durwyn
Elminster

Everything sounds quite exciting but the graphic engine part . Ahh I so wished that they would improve the graphics on IWD 2. Personally I really dont see their point of making a sequel, and as I think a big sequel such as IWD II, and not even tweak the graphics... Well lets just hope the game brings something new, because just some new levels wont cut it for me .
Old 03-03-2002, 10:34 PM   #3
Gyruss
Elite Waterdeep Guard

" Personally I really dont see their point of making a sequel, and as I think a big sequel such as IWD II, and not even tweak the graphics..."

Its simple, money. IWD was financially successful. Interplay is really hurting and needs revenues bad. BIS seems to be doing the best with the limited time they have been allowed. How its turns out only time will tell.

I don't mind them keeping the IE engine for one last time(I assume), though I'm sure it was kept mostly for financial reasons allow a fast devolpment time fir IWD2. I personally like it though allot and BIS has great artists.
Gyruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 08:15 AM   #4
Irongrinder

I just hope they won't make it a low-quality quicky
Irongrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 09:22 AM   #5
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The comment about multiplayer performance is a little worrisome. After HOW was added, multiplayer performance went into the tank for our group. It improved with ToL but never got back to the point where it was with ONLY IWD installed. I hope the comment about mplayer performance means that it will be as good as IWD only was.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 11:46 AM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Improved Heart of Fury Mode:

There's more rewards for taking the Heart of Fury difficulty challenge in Icewind Dale II - aside from the greater monsters and danger, you'll get greater rewards, including hundreds of new items that can only be found in the Heart of Fury mode - many of which are the most powerful items any AD&D character has ever seen.

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]

Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 12:11 PM   #7
Epona
Zartan

Thanks for that juicy info Larry!! It was similar tidbits from Memnoch when we were waiting for TOB that kept me going....

To everyone else: I wish you would all stop blooming whinging about this game. If you don't think you'll like it, don't flipping well buy it - no one is forcing you with a gun to your head. Think of those of us who prefer tried and tested formulae to having to master a shiny new games engine that may not be as easy to use! I really don't give a flying whatnot about the graphics - graphics do not make a good game! IWD rocked, I *want* more of the same. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 03-04-2002, 12:42 PM   #8
J'aran
Mephistopheles

I agree completely with Epona. Smooth gameplay, replayability, good storyline, character development; those are all factors that contriblute to a making great game, graphics are but a minor factor IMHO. Plus, I don't own a supersonic, kick@$$ computer, so from my point of view, less is better when it comes to memory-gobbling features like graphics. The Infinity Engine may be slightly out of date, but if IWD would employ a state-of-the-art 3D engine, I, and many with me, might even be forced to buy a brand new gamesmachine just to be able to play the game. So all hail the Infinity Engine.
Infinity for eternity!
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 01:05 PM   #9
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Epona,

I don't understand the negative comments about the graphics in IWD either. I thought they were awesome. I agree with you about the engine changes as well.

But, I stand by my comment about the multiplayer peformance before ToL was released. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And I STILL plan on buying IWD2 anyway!

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 01:27 PM   #10
Rolper
Dungeon Master

I also liked the IWD series and felt that HoW was a little short BUT they corrected that with TotLM. Hopefully, they have some understanding of what gamers want and what sells. They want to make a profit and we should also want them to make a profit so they keep making more games... basic economic principal. A short poorly developed game wouldn't work. Give them a chance, the TotLM proves that they can learn!
I gots my money in my hand just waitin' for delivery.
Rolper is offline   Reply With Quote