Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 01-11-2003, 06:33 PM   #1
Piestrider
Zhentarim Guard

Right now I have just cleaned out the Chulp and have all the parts to awaken the dragon. What i need to know now is... HOW CAN I KILL HIM BEFORE HE KILLS ME? please help... I really need to beat this guy.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:32 PM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

do you have the spell " disintegrate " ? use it and bam! dragon is gone.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 11:46 PM   #3
Piestrider
Zhentarim Guard

I tried it... nothing happened. Then all my guys died. Maybe there was a casting failure or something, i'll have to try it again. Wish me luck.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:34 AM   #4
Piestrider
Zhentarim Guard

I DID IT! I DID IT! I used an ultra cheesy method too!
First I tanked all my guys up with the usual pre-combat spells, then i summoned in two greater drowned deads, a shadowed cyclops, and two earth elementals. Then I flipped the switch and ran for it while the summonings kept the dragon busy. Then i cast Otiluke's Resilient Sphere on one of my characters and positioned them at the base of the stairs. The dragon couldnt get through so I lowered his resistance, emptied my spell book on him and then hit him with about 20 or so necklace of missiles. IT WORKED! Kinda feel let down though... No Carsomyr treasure on the dragon
Old 01-14-2003, 06:07 AM   #5
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
do you have the spell " disintegrate " ? use it and bam! dragon is gone.
...Though you'd have to be very lucky to pull it off that way. My sorcerer was able to cast 7 disintegrates, and none of them killed the Guardian Dragon instantly, only did some damage to him.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:10 AM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I've tested why so many people have trouble with disintegrate, looks like the success of the spell works is really really small. you have to be really lucky for it to kill that dragon outright.

though, just save before using it and reload if it doesn't works.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 12:24 PM   #7
Magness
Quintesson

The best way to improve the chance of Disintegrate succeeding would seem to be casting some of the savings throw lowering spells first, such as Greater Mailison, Doom, Prayer, or Chant.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 12:27 PM   #8
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Casting successive "Lower spell resistance" can also be effective. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 10:53 PM   #9
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Piestrider:
Kinda feel let down though... No Carsomyr treasure on the dragon
Hmmm...still haven't found one yet? there is one there around for the taking..one handed even.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

edit: btw, improved invisibility works here too...invis your fighters and bash away while your mage(s) pound with spells.

[ 01-15-2003, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Mitro Jellywadder ]
Mitro Jellywadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 06:09 AM   #10
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
I've tested why so many people have trouble with disintegrate, looks like the success of the spell works is really really small. you have to be really lucky for it to kill that dragon outright.

though, just save before using it and reload if it doesn't works.
Ah, but I'm not interested in cheesing my way through a dragon by constantly reloading the game every time a spell doesn't work.
And Magnus, thanks for the tips, but I'd used those as well. It's still mostly a luck-thing to kill a dragon with a simple disintegrate. And if it doesn't work that way, there's always other tactics to explore in order to defeat him. It's not that you just *have* to kill him in one blow...

[ 01-16-2003, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]