Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dragon Age™ Origins

Old 11-12-2009, 05:41 AM   #41
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Laughing Out Loud Re: First Impressions

Icing + shattering IS indeed one of the spell comboes ( though the most simple one I might add ) - there are others but I will not spoil thy fun
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #42
dplax
Jack Burton

Default Re: First Impressions

Got my game on Monday and have played a few hours. Started out as a city elf and the origin story was definitely fun. I quite like how the game is controlled and find the dialogue and story so far is top notch.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #43
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I found another spell combo quite by accident, and it was quite painful. Needless to say, I am now looking for ways to find more.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #44
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion

I have played about 3 hours now and my first impression is that I love it. It is incredibly beautiful; I actually really like the cinematic cut scenes and dialogue. I have just got up to the battle where you go up the tower - the cut scene for that was great. I also am really looking forward to playing the other races/classes for their stories. I'm playing a female city elf - it was immediately apparent why there is an MA rating... I really like that replayability will be enhanced by exploring different characters and their stories. Am still bumbling about with fighting tactics and optimising my party members etc.

Two questions: what is the second CD for? It wasn't used for installation so what the hell? Also, when I first clicked on the icon to play, I got this message box to say that it couldn't find "ffdshow" and did I want to play without this - which I did, without any obvious problems. What is ffdshow and why can't it find it?
Old 11-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #45
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Update your DirectX via the Windows Update options in your start menu, usually the fixes it. If you still get this mssg it means there's a corruption in your current DX, which is fixable just can be annoying.

Try running the CD see what it is lol. I am assuming you got the CE for version or a CD-rom verion as opppsed to DVD.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:49 PM   #46
Captain Obvious
Elminster

Penguin Bashing Champion Simon Champion Snakeman Champion

Spent a fair chunk of the weekend running about with my Human Noble Warrior. Loving it so far! I really like the cut-scenes.

Was also hugely impressed at how customisable (is that even a word?) the look of characters were - I spent a good half hour playing around with that.

I am only playing on normal but havent found the battles that hard at all - although I have had to use a few injury kits to fix the odd broken skull or crushed arm.

I am also finally getting the hang of the tactics thing, but am finding that whenever someone gets a new ability i need to re look at it again.

Overall, really great game. If it wasnt for stupid work I would be playing right now!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #47
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Well it really depends what you consider difficult. For me any time one of my character "die" I consider it a failure and reload. So yes there are difficult fights if we go by that.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #48
Davros
Takhisis Follower

It sure looks interesting, and great to see all the old faces discussing a new game. I held it in my little hands today and looked at the specs. Then went back and checked what my PC was . I bought it for Guild Wars 4 years ago, and poop it's only a single core.

Oh my daughter or my ducats - what is a guy to do? Do I buy a new puter now, or wait a little closer to GW2 release date (2011).

Decisions decisions - oh well, at least I know now why Tim has been inactive for a while in guild.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #49
uk_john
Dungeon Master

... If you thought the battle or Orangaar was 'Monumental', wait until the battle of Redcliffe as tense a battle as Orangaar was monumental. I will say no more.

As to spell mixing, I think something else is also being mentioned and the two confused. For example, if in the gameworld something is on fire, your Mage can put it out with a freeze spell. That's not really mixing spells, that's how spells can work with th environment!

Also, for those who cannot afford the Warden's Keep DLC, read the review thread on this site and go and get the free storage chest mod made by one of the Bioware developers instead!

Oh and top down view is not just so you can play it like NWN, it's also totally needed in indoor battles, where, if your not careful, every combatant is in one big mass and you can barely see what your avatars are doing and who they're attacking!

I am playing normal. But I have temporarily turned it down to easy, just because some battles are unwinnable. Not just because of the enemy strength, but because of the lack of health potions, etc. If you buy up all the health potions from a merchant, don't expect them to be replenished quickly! It borders on unfair, as you can be in a building with monsters in every room and constant battles just wear your team down as they cannot replenish.
uk_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #50
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_john View Post
... If you thought the battle or Orangaar was 'Monumental', wait until the battle of Redcliffe as tense a battle as Orangaar was monumental. I will say no more.
Redcliffe was challenging, to say the least.

Quote:
As to spell mixing, I think something else is also being mentioned and the two confused. For example, if in the gameworld something is on fire, your Mage can put it out with a freeze spell. That's not really mixing spells, that's how spells can work with th environment!
No, there are spell combinations that have unexpected, or perhaps you might say expected results. There are two glyphs that produce interesting if painful results if mixed. I will say no more about that, however, but it's not hard to see.

Quote:
Also, for those who cannot afford the Warden's Keep DLC, read the review thread on this site and go and get the free storage chest mod made by one of the Bioware developers instead!
Bioware devs are usually pretty good about coming up with things like this.

Quote:
Oh and top down view is not just so you can play it like NWN, it's also totally needed in indoor battles, where, if your not careful, every combatant is in one big mass and you can barely see what your avatars are doing and who they're attacking!

I am playing normal. But I have temporarily turned it down to easy, just because some battles are unwinnable. Not just because of the enemy strength, but because of the lack of health potions, etc. If you buy up all the health potions from a merchant, don't expect them to be replenished quickly! It borders on unfair, as you can be in a building with monsters in every room and constant battles just wear your team down as they cannot replenish.
The nice thing about this game is that you can craft your own potions, if you have one char with Herbalism. You even start out with basic recipies, and the ingredients early aren't hard to come by either.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote