Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-22-2002, 02:23 AM   #21
Tanoch Thas'ala
Banned User

My most memorable multiplayer exp was back when Kingpin came out. This was a fps where you played a thug working your way up..It was pretty cheesy but the graphics were great and the multi was good.

Anyway, I was playing with two guys who were friends, but I didn't know them. I had them completly turned around and confused and scared. On one level there is a ledge where you can see down three halls. So I sneak up behind them all the while watching them chat back and forth: Where is she? I hear footsteps see her?? So I get to the right corner which I know they are around and send off a grenade rhicocheting off the wall and at their feet. I see one type "You Hear that???" right before they go splat!

One good/bad thing about that game was the grenade launcher, you could run and coming up to a corner fire at the wall in front of you then turn right or left depending and the grenade would bounce at the opponents feet and blamo.

That was fun
Old 07-22-2002, 10:58 AM   #22
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Hmmm.. so many.. living in a boarding house means 24/7 LAN and opponents to play with

Beating someone 50-2 at Jedi Knight 2 comes to mind. As does our multiplayer AVP2 games, which tend to get funny as hell because my roommate and I betray each other whenever we ally up to kill aliens (we're both marine players). I've never laughed as much as when my roommate went in with a flamethrower and toasted me while yelling "I'LL GET THE DAMN FACEHUGGER! I'LL GET IT! DON'T WORRY I'LL GET IT!"
And maybe our Empire Earth games as well, because I'm always the one that gets rushed first and my roommate once again my ally decided to nuke the invading army within my base. He did more harm than good, needless to say. My roommate is the ultimate stupid turtle player. He just surrounds himself with walls and defensive structures, and then he sends his horde of nuclear bombers to "assist" my defence.
Basically I got rushed by a combined force of both our opponents, and my entire base got destroyed by an army of nuclear bombers. Rushing my precious civilians to my ally's base to preserve my civilisation while attempting to fend off the invaders, my roommate sends his nuclear bombers, nukes the invaders fighting amongst my buildings, and takes out my buildings while laughing maniacally. Then he backstabs me by turning hostile and slaughtering my civilians while they walk through his gates of death.

And our starcraft games.. when everyone gangs up on the computer, then on each other when the computer finally falls. Its ridiculous really. Everyone just sets themselves up for a big attack on each other while pretending to fight off the computers at the same time ("Whats that? You're mind controlling my carriers? To defend your base you say?")
Old 07-22-2002, 05:05 PM   #23
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathbringer:
Hhhmmm, you sound like someone I once knew for a brief time. Say, do you live in Australia?
I don't live there, but I kinda didm (2 months). I travel A LOT. You may have known me. Can you be more specific?
Old 07-23-2002, 05:24 AM   #24
Deathbringer

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
quote:
Originally posted by Deathbringer:
Hhhmmm, you sound like someone I once knew for a brief time. Say, do you live in Australia?
I don't live there, but I kinda didm (2 months). I travel A LOT. You may have known me. Can you be more specific?[/QUOTE]ok.. did you go to College?

Old 07-23-2002, 10:43 AM   #25
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Not in Oz, but I knew a few people who did. Oh, and if it helps, my name's Rob. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2002, 01:03 PM   #26
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Ah, I got one, but it's not as long as yours, I don't think, mostly cause it's cold in here. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyways, this is another Brood War game from about a year ago, and it stuck out in my head for some reason. Enjoy the narration!

It had so far been a pretty typical multiplayer game for me. I had nuked the other guy's workers a lot, taken out his infrastructure a few times, but since it was a money map (which I don't play anymore) he rebuilt each and every time. I decided to give him a short reprieve before nuking him again and following up with my small fleet of battlecruisers, and for some reason hadn't expanded yet. Money maps tend to stifle skills... anyways, I decided to go over and nuke him again, but much to my horror my dropship was intercepted by at least 17 Carriers, throwing me into a panic. Well, not really, I still knew what to do...

To respond to this I quickly researched Lockdown and built some Ghosts and Valkyries. I already had about 6 Battlecruisers, but didn't think they'd be doing much. My total forces were about this: 12 Ghosts, 8 Valkyries, 6 Battlecruisers, and 2 Science Vessels versus 17 Carriers, 4 Arbiters, and an unknown number of Observers. Obviously, attacking me on the side facing him would be the obvious way to go, and I knew this, so I built some turrets on either side and put my forces in the middle since I didn't want to commit to either side yet. But as expected he came from the left side, the one he wasn't on, and I let him make some headway. The big blurs and interceptors obviously came from carriers, and some scans just a bit behind them showed Arbiters. So, in order to relieve that thread I cloaked a ghost and locked down two with one, and did the same with another. Then I moved my Valkyries in to engage with my Battlecruisers using the Yamato Cannon on a carrier each after my EMP shockwaves hit. The remaining Carriers were hit with a Lockdown from my ghosts while my Valkyries and Battlecruisers mopped up.

Now, I had never done anything like this. I didn't think that I could have done an Alamo defense like this, but apparantly my opponent was quite disheartened by his loss. He quit the game after telling me how good I was, even though at that time I was sure it was a fluke (I could do it again now). Little did he know that if he had come back in just a few minutes he probably could have got me.

He didn't play Starcraft again. Well that wasn't nearly as short as I thought, and much longer than I had intended! Oh well...