Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-08-2001, 02:04 PM   #1
Charlie
Lord Ao

Long story but I had all my BG2 stuff moved to another PC in the same house (they're linked.) BG2 won't work and I was told "install over it". Fair enough. Began installing then........ It asked for disc 2 and I promptly snapped it in half. I've heard about gamecopy world etc for getting games top run without discs but I can't make out hide nor hair of what I'm supposed to do. Can anyone run me through any possible fixes, cheats for this problem?.....Thanks.

Also, because BG2 is now knackered I thought I'd like to look back at IWD. How can I get my saves folder from PC 1 across and in the game on PC2?

Baffled and slightly pissed off.......from London.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 06-08-2001, 02:06 PM   #2
Leagle
Manshoon

You could add it to your store!

But seriously, do you not still have the cd? You did not quite explain yourself.
Old 06-08-2001, 02:10 PM   #3
Charlie
Lord Ao

I have the CD yes. But CD 2 has a crack running from the centre hole to the edge of the disc, it is devoid of use, it is a late disc, it is no more.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 06-08-2001, 02:21 PM   #4
Melusine
Dracolisk

Pining for the fjords, is it?

Sorry to hear that Charlie...but I have no idea what Gamecopy is...all I can think of is, maybe someone on the forum could make a copy of disc 2 for you and send it by mail. My b/f's cd burner is broken, but if we get a new one, I could do it for you... not sure how long it will take though....so I hope there are any other forum members who can help......anyone?

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 06-08-2001, 02:34 PM   #5
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

if youve already gotten it installed you can put in disk 3 to play
but if not then thats kind of screwed up

------------------

Lord of the Screen Shot
Get My IronWorks Winamp skin
Old 06-08-2001, 02:43 PM   #6
Charlie
Lord Ao

I have it installed on PC#1 but the drive thingy bust. My bro' copied everything across from PC#1 to PC#2 but every time I tried to load it, it said an "assertion" had failed. I've tried to install over the top of the copied game on PC#2 but have now broken the disc. Disc 2 is still asked for upon entering certain areas if a full install wasn't done so I'm stuffed there anyway. Gamecopy world allows or gives instructions as to how to run a game with no disc (I think) but my computer literacy is so poor I don't know what I'm doing of. Thanks anyway, anyone else?

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 06-08-2001, 04:12 PM   #7
koz-ivan
Manshoon

if you read your warranty info that came w/ the game you'd prob notice a paragraph that says something to the effect of if you break your disks, you can send them back, along w/ $5 (us) and they'll send you a replacement.
Old 06-08-2001, 04:42 PM   #8
Charlie
Lord Ao

Thanks Koz-ivan.

What actually happened was that I "flicked" CD2 out of the drive when changing it. My dog caught the disc before it hit the floor and put a tiny crack in it near the centre hole. The disc still worked ok with no problems. Anyway, my mate (the mystery Sniffer) and myself have been at this address (visiting) for the last week and between us (through drunken antics) have managed to break the CD reading drive thingy from "my" PC. This is my fault entirely and I accept that, my bro' has copied the stuff over to his PC to allow me to play BG2 while I look after the house for the weekend but now I've bust the disc completely just to pour salt on the wound. I'm not looking for a warranty claim up or anything of that ilk, but I heard that http://www.gamecopyworld.com/ gives instruction or assistance to blokes like me who have lost/broken discs. I'm just trying to get the game running for the weekend but I can't make head nor tail of what I'm supposed to do if that is the case.

The other thing I wouldn't mind doing but again I can't figure out is this. My PC is not 20 feet away from the one I'm using now. How on Earth can I send my complete Icewind Dale "saves" folder over to THIS PC from the other one so that I can put my original saves into this freshly installed game?

Many thanks. Gettindrunkerbytheminute.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 06-08-2001, 05:26 PM   #9
koz-ivan
Manshoon

oh, i have no idea how gamecopy works.

and to move the savegame files, are they too big to put onto floppy?
or could you in effect e-mail the files to yourself and grab them that way?
Old 06-08-2001, 05:36 PM   #10
Charlie
Lord Ao

Thanks, err, I have absolutely no idea. I am a PC thicko, happy to admit it. I tried to send myself the files but it seems like it only lets me choose one file from the folder, and even then I wouldn't know how to move it from my mail into my IWD folder. I'd like to just get the "complete saves folder" from "my PC" , send it to this PC and then put it in my (empty) IWD saves folder on this machine. Thanks for taking the time anyway koz-ivan.

------------------
One love, peace.