Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #11
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Default Re: Court considers paralysis punishment

Just execute him. He tried to commit murder so I'd say that sentence is justified. Turning him into a long-term burden won't help anyone.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #12
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
Of course, I've always said one sure way to reduce crime dramatically is to invoke the death penalty for any felony level offense, to be imposed no longer than a month after sentencing. But this creates a rule by terror system that the greater majority (if not all) of humanity wouldn't like very much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
Firestorm, I think you may have little clue as to how easy it can be for a normal person to mistakenly stumble into a felony, so you may want to reconsider. For instance, I know a kid, early 20's college student, who just got sentenced to 55 years because he made the mistake of giving the car ride to another dude who had a huge brick of cocaine in his backpack.
Read carefully, I only said it would reduce crime levels. When the punishment is the loss of your life, you're less inclined to do it.

However I don't advocate this standard as it tends to create a rule by terror. (and by saying 'tends to' I am grossly understating it.)

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #13
Hindsight
The Magister

Quote:
When the punishment is the loss of your life, you're less inclined to do it.
I have a feeling that none of us here have a clue about how desperate people in other parts of the world are, and what they will do out of desperation. It's easy to pass judgment.
Hindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 PM   #14
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
I have a feeling that none of us here have a clue about how desperate people in other parts of the world are, and what they will do out of desperation. It's easy to pass judgment.

And i have a clue they are therefore better off dead. Yea it easy to pass judgement, and even in my dire finacial straits (yea this economy sucks) I will not be going robbing. Sometimes you really are better off dead.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #15
Chewbacca
Zartan

Light Bulb Re: Court considers paralysis punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post

Chewie, how merciful would you be in this case? Imprison the guy? Let him skate free? Fine him? Minimal fine or high fine? Etc. It's all just different version of the same system. You say Hammurabi, I say Himmurabi.
Yes I agree, the punishment system in general across all human cultures is what's flawed to various degrees and will remain that way until the root cause of violence is recognized and addressed rather reacting to it's effects.

How does one teach another the respect the life and liberty of each and every other? That is the challenge. The human conscience is not something that can be just pointed out. It is an individual expirience and self-evident.

Helping a person find their conscience, so that they are inspired to provide restitution, rather than have it forced upon them by the State. However we discover that can be done, I find that approach quite merciful indeed. Also quite idealistic, but everything is born from dreams and visions.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #16
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sever View Post
I don't go for capital punishment, as a rule. Not that i don't think there are people who deserve to die. There certainly is. It's just that i don't believe there's a single person on the Earth who's righteous enough to be justified in delivering that sentence.
That's why it is left up to a government or court system to deliver the sentence. It isn't an individual that is deciding the fate of the criminal, it is the chosen representative system of the society in question.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #17
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
Read carefully, I only said it would reduce crime levels. When the punishment is the loss of your life, you're less inclined to do it.

However I don't advocate this standard as it tends to create a rule by terror. (and by saying 'tends to' I am grossly understating it.)
Research actually shows the opposite. States and countries with sever capital punishment laws tend to have the highest crime rates. Yes, I know it is counter-intuitive, but that is what history tends to show us.

England implemented one of the most severe "No Tolerance" policies in the 1700's (IIRC). Executions were swift and plentiful. The crime rate increased dramatically during this time, forcing Parliament to rethink their position and make changes in the system.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:11 AM   #18
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion

Remind me again why people hate Iran but not the Saudis?

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #19
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

They don't come round for bbq and beers, but they do play ball.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #20
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

There hasnt been squabbling in two days wtf? Will I have to scold?