Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dragon Age™ Origins

View Poll Results: How are you (micro)managing your party?
No micromanagement - I control my toon, I don't pause and they can sort themselves out 2 10.00%
I mainly control my own toon and rely on the preprogrammed tactics to control them once I set them 6 30.00%
I spend a lot of time developing and sequencing the tactics and in battle I only rarely intervene 4 20.00%
I micromanage everything, pause often, I don't trust the computer to manage my party! 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Default How much micromanagement are you guys doing?

I'm curious as to how you guys are playing this in terms of party management. I guess on one end of the scale you would have the FPS types who basically just control their own character in real time, to people who use tactics/behaviour to manage their party members, to those who are doing in BG-style where you micromanage all your actions and pause every few seconds.

I suspect that it's probably easier to do the BG-style micromanagement with a PC and a mouse than it is with the PS3 where it is a bit of a pain using the controller. I'm personally leaving it to the programmed tactics/behaviour and will only intervene if someone's dying or if someone needs to be nuked.

So what are you guys doing?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: How much micromanagement are you guys doing?

I'm mostly controlling my own character and occasionally going in and doing something with the others in the party. Problem is, I am so used to playing the mages I don't know all the ins and outs of battling with a meatwall.... so I know there are better things I COULD do with them, I just don't know exactly what tactics/skills to set up.

PS, I'm LOVING this game! Tons or replayability and the best thing since B2 for me!
Old 11-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

Did you keep default L2 action? ( the one where you hold L2 and the radial menu stays open til you let go of L2)

Default L2 action on the PS3 is clutch IMO.
Hold down L2, scroll to each char to select actions, let go of L2,- repeat.

I got fairly smooth with it after some practice. Its a method, holding L2 all while scrolling Characters with R1 and choosing from the menu/ selecting targets/ Rotating view with thumbs.

Changing L2 so the toggle stays open only allows you to direct one character's actions because it unpauses whenever you select an action. I dunno if it's a bug, but I quickly got used to the default L2 trigger.

Oh yeah, I love to micromanage and I do have tactics set up so I have the luxory of hopping from mage to rogue letting the warriors go through the motions on the best targets during vanilla battles. I sometimes start battles pausing each action and then cleaning up "on auto" at the end.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 11-27-2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: oh yeah...
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Did you keep default L2 action? ( the one where you hold L2 and the radial menu stays open til you let go of L2)

Default L2 action on the PS3 is clutch IMO.
Hold down L2, scroll to each char to select actions, let go of L2,- repeat.

I got fairly smooth with it after some practice. Its a method, holding L2 all while scrolling Characters with R1 and choosing from the menu/ selecting targets/ Rotating view with thumbs.

Changing L2 so the toggle stays open only allows you to direct one character's actions because it unpauses whenever you select an action. I dunno if it's a bug, but I quickly got used to the default L2 trigger.

Oh yeah, I love to micromanage and I do have tactics set up so I have the luxory of hopping from mage to rogue letting the warriors go through the motions on the best targets during vanilla battles. I sometimes start battles pausing each action and then cleaning up "on auto" at the end.
I changed it to the toggle one. I am having that problem with using that damn radial menu with the toggle btw - because as soon as I select an action (eg spell or something) the menu disappears and I have to pick it again to go to the next character. I 'll change it back.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

I've been messing with the Tactics system a *lot* lately. Pretty much getting as many tactics bars as soon as I can. Early game requires micromanagement- which is to be expected. But I just hit middle game, and I can really sit back and watch my scripts(?) work out wonderfully. Great fun.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: How much micromanagement are you guys doing?

I simply ADORE tweaking their AI behaviour, so I spend a lot of time fine-tuning their Tactics. I am just waiting for a mod that will allow me to get into the nuts and bolts of their AI behaviour. I gain a lot of satisfaction from having the NPCs win the battles on their own.

Generally speaking, I will only control my PC during battles. I only switch to another character if I need to perform a chicken run.

Cheers.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
Sparhawk
Quintesson

For me it depends sooo much on who or what I am fighting - a bunch of darkspawn I just run my mage in front and kill everything in sight. ( cone of cold is your best friend ever! ) - if its a bit more challenging I go BG style with commands - space - execute - space - commands - execute - etc.

I find that particular Alistair is annoying as he will often run to the enemy furthest away ( is that correct english? ) and then leave my weak party standing with melee fighting - I am using Wynne, myself and Leliana so you can see its a squishy party as I am mage myself.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
I changed it to the toggle one. I am having that problem with using that damn radial menu with the toggle btw - because as soon as I select an action (eg spell or something) the menu disappears and I have to pick it again to go to the next character. I 'll change it back.
Yeah, That's what I mentioned might be a bug. It doesn't make sense that choosing an action would unpause. Pressing L2 should be what causes gameplay to resume after Queing the entire party's actions.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Spoil included...don't read below this ( unless you want spoil ofc )
I just got my butt handed to me by Flemeth - "&¤(%&() she was tough cookies...and no I still have not beaten her - any suggestions here?
I am trying with Alistair tanking.
Me ( mage ) DPSing from a distance
Wynne Healing
Zevram standing behind dragon - dying in 2 seconds.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: How much micromanagement are you guys doing?

What's your level? Do you have fire resistance gear?

Cheers.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote