Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 11-20-2004, 03:10 PM   #1
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

In every type of game, whether it be RPGs, shooters, fighting, we all either take down the main bosses with ease or have a tough time with them. So, I ask you, out of all the fights, what was your closest call where you brought down the enemy and just barely slid by defeat?

Mine both revolve around the FF games.

Final Fantasy VII:
This game drove me up a wall for a long time a few years ago, around 4-5 I think. Couldn't figure out how to defeat Ruby or Emerald and was never strong enough to beat Sephiroth (oh, how times have changed). In my party, I had Cloud, Cait Sith, and Vincent. In my last fight with Sephiroth, he kept bombarding me with the Pale Horse, Super Nova and I was nearly was to be beaten again, until one of my characters hit their limit break. I beat FF7 for the first time thanks to Cait Sith's Limit Break, Game Over.

Final Fantasy IX:
Final Boss battle (again), I have Eiko, Zidane, and Dagger in my party. Zidane and Dagger are both dead, with Eiko suffering heavy damage from poison and soon to be petrification. Just before she hit 0 hit points, I let go one last Holy spell, defeating the final boss.
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 03:23 PM   #2
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Just curious, what happened to your fourth member in that party, Gangrell?

My close moment probably just came from FFX-2, against the literal toughest boss of the game. Not the final guy, mind, the actual toughest. Anyways,lets just say, we're going at it like crazy, and this guy is super fast. I have all three people alive, and I choose to have Yuna do trigger happy on him. Well, while I'm waiting for it to start, he kills both Rikku and Paine. Yuna is at Critical hp, and any one of his moves can easily kill her. So, I'm thinking "Great, another reload." But, alas, i assault him, and he's running towards me, about to end it. My last hit kills him! Sweetness.
Dron_Cah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 07:48 PM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Well in Freespace there's a quite hard mission where you have to protect your flagship against waves of fighters, bombers and kamikazees untill the ship enters a jumpgate. Mine entered with 1% health. I was chasing down a torpedo heading for the ship and it entered the gate just seconds before the warhead hit. And that's how I saved the GTA Galatea [img]smile.gif[/img]
There are more, but this one seems to best fit the topic.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:40 PM   #4
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

In Earth and Beyond I once had my sheild blasted away from my starship(Crimson Force Barrier0best sheild there was) and hull down to 66 (out of 80,000). We called it my stealth hull because there was absolutly nothing left showing on group screen. A friend later beat that, she lived with 4 left (also out of an 80k hull). Mighty gaming moments we all understand [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2004, 09:11 PM   #5
Legolas
Jack Burton

As I tend not to use expendables even when I should, I've had more than I could count. It all adds to the thrill, doesn't it?
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 09:42 AM   #6
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

weeeeeeeeeell, there was that one time in Baldur's Gate... and that other time, and so many other times, and all those other times... you know 1hp vs... whatever creature, usually a boss .
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:08 AM   #7
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Dron_Cah:
Just curious, what happened to your fourth member in that party, Gangrell?
Maybe I should've mentioned it's been awhile since I've played it, keep thinking there were three character like in FF7 & 8. Vivi was my fourth member I believe.
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 02:34 AM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Should be in Legend of Mori Motonori. It was 3rd last mission. I head my army to attack Tokugawa Ilyasu son's army. The battle was initially easy, I swept aside any resistance that came to me.When I reach the enemy's town. Suddenly out of no where the enemies get a 2 full battalion reinforcement and they keep on respawning. One by one my samurai lost but I kept on the attack ( my samurais was 42 down to 14 now ). Few turns later, the enemy got 1 more battalion reinforcement and they appear just behind my main camp. I have to repel them or else they'll cut my food supply. So I have to sent my ninjas ( as they can move fast ) to defend my main camp while my remaining unit move as fast as they can to follow the ninjas. It was a hard fought battle, after eliminating the reinforment army. I was only down to 5 samurais. I stubbornly went on assaulting the town ( where Tokugawa son's is defending ), Somehow I manage to break through the defense and manage to land a killing blow to Tokugawa son's. The battle was finally over! I was really relieved as I was down to my last samurai and he only got 10 hp left. phew!
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:44 PM   #9
Lucern
Quintesson

In BG 1 (before Tales of the Sword Coast came out) I was battling Sarevok at the end. All of Sarevok's henchmen were down, he was badly wounded, and all of my characters were down save one - the halfling thief, and he had already been struck once. Sarevok was about to catch me, so I ran around a pillar, dodging all the little traps on the ground and gained enough distance to fire my little +1 shortbow one last time. Hit! 3 damage. Sarevok fell. Game over.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 09:34 PM   #10
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Damn Gangrell, that was lucky, I have only ever gotten Cait Sith's "Game over" limit break once, and that was vs some crapy enemy..That I like to call Weapon [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote