Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 01-29-2001, 11:49 AM   #41
Melusine
Dracolisk

Moiraine, do all movies in France have dubbed voices? That must be horrible! Well, I guess if you never knew better then you're used to it, but I cannot imagine that for example all german people think of say, Sean Connery, or Jeremy Irons, or whoever, as GERMAN SPEAKING!! I for one have never understood the concept of dubbing movies, in Holland all movies are in the original language and have subtitles. Also, all the accents Charlie and I discussed are part of what makes the language so interesting and how can you convey that in a translation. Take the movie Braveheart for example, how do they do the Scots accent?
I understand exactly what you mean when you say how glad you are to have made the effort, reading books is of course the best way to learn because you simply have to know how the book will end (well apart from going to live abroad or speaking with native speakers). I also think that, hadn't I read foreign books as a child as fervently as I did, I would never have learned my languages so well. French however, remains a problem Like you have with English, I can write and read it (although not as well as I would wish), but actually speaking French...I think you would be horrified to hear my sorry attempts!
Old 01-29-2001, 01:01 PM   #42
turbovee
Elminster

Wow! I feel like the complete foreigner! I'm just another slug from San Diego, California. Everone else seems like they are from Europe or the West Pacific (Australia included here). How do you guys in Europe feel about classic VW's?(now you can probably figure out why I call myself turbovee.) I collect them here and the really old ones are getting hard to find. What other hobbies do you have? I was reading another post where a couple of the ladies liked collecting dragon statuettes.
Old 01-29-2001, 01:08 PM   #43
Blink182

Lucre needs computers 'cause ee's a sad twat

Old 01-29-2001, 01:13 PM   #44
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Virginia U.S.A. here. Turbovee, I'm one of those collecting dragons. Mostly lead ones from Citadel or Ral Partha that you glue together and paint. They are mainly used for table D&Ding, but I just like displaying them! Heard on the news that somewhere this past week in California there were a lot of brown outs. Did that affect you in San Diego?
Old 01-29-2001, 01:30 PM   #45
turbovee
Elminster

YES!! and it's pissing us off. They deregulated the electricity funding thinking that it would bring down power costs by bringing in new competition from more power companies and all it did was raise them. I'm lucky that I haven't experienced any brown outs yet, but I'm sure my time will come and then I will miss all of you. It'll be like being grounded to my room with no one to play with. I can't even go work on my cars when my computer's down cause I need power tools. IT SUCKS!!! Small businesses left and right are closing because they can't afford the power bill. It increased something like 400%! I guess I'll go find a bar and drown myself in alcohol when the power is out in my area. Right Lord of Alcohol? I tried collecting dragon statuettes a long time ago, but then I couldn't pay the money for some of them when my cars needed something equally frivoless. I truly need psychiatric help for my car obsession.
Old 01-29-2001, 01:55 PM   #46
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi turbovee.

I actually served my apprenticeship with VW/M.A.N. A 5 yr apprenticeship, from beetles through to juggernauts. Sorry, detest beetles etc but there you go. Lucky enough now days to work exclusively on some pretty nice very high performance stuff so the time served at VW was well spent. Oddly enough I used to collect and paint miniatures too, dragons, trolls etc, then went on to high quality military (mainly Samurai) models, some of which I still have somewhere. I still have a passion for the Samurai/Japanese way of things. Honesty and loyalty are two things that I hold truly dear and that has also stood me in good stead. Small world.....funny how the worm turns eh.

Lucre, Blink 182. You started a good topic........don't flush it away with silly comments. Join in and be part of the community.
Old 01-29-2001, 02:00 PM   #47
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Good God Turbovee that sounds absolutely insane! 400%? I bet whoever came up with that idea is hiding somewhere with his head in a hole! Sheesh! Well I hope the brown outs stay away from your area so you can continue visiting this board and working on your car obsession. I'm assuming these are actual cars rather than models? If so, whatcha workin on? Myself, I'm workin on another bottle of transmission fluid for my car! Ha!
Old 01-29-2001, 02:22 PM   #48
Falk

Not French - Irish - but in France. Strasbourg, which is almost in Germany (and was on a number of occasions). Played BGI and Torment in French, but playing BGII in English. Kind of wonder if the cheery French dialogue might was an improvement ??? Do you play in French or English Moiraine?

Old 01-29-2001, 02:25 PM   #49
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

WOW you are Goning WAY offtopic
BTW i got a lot of family members living in Italy (eventhough i'm chinese) so can i join the "We are south european" party?

And Javi
Don't worry
i don't really know what exactly happend
(wait i remember a certain frech girl....)
Old 01-29-2001, 02:29 PM   #50
Ertai, Wizard Adept

DONT SAY A WORD RIKARD ITS TOO EMBARRASING !!!!
(hmm this reminds me of Jerome caps lock, has he left the board or what ??)

And yes, join if you want !! You´re so international you know ??