Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2004, 01:30 AM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

As you may have noticed, I've built up a new machine. Running XP, all sorts of new stuff, and I've been playing W&W on it.

Now, all this new stuff has been fun. The joys of playing under XP, which works fine, except when I go into town or try to exit. Gotta follow Mama Hissy's rules: Save Before (entering town, that is).

There's been some hardware fun in the new environment, too. When I try to run forward using the right shift key, I can only turn right -- I can't turn left. Stop going forward and I can turn just fine. Use the right shift key, and it goes just fine.

Well, tonight I made a couple more hardware changes. I installed a KVM switch to share my Keyboard, Video, and Mouse between my new box and my Linux server. I also decided to swap out the keyboard for another one to try to take care of that turning left problem.

Lemmetellya, it took care of it all right! I'm in the middle of combat with three mountain spiders, and all of a sudden, the keyboard doesn't work any more! Unfortunately, it stopped working when I was walking forward, AND IT'S STILL WALKING FORWARD! I'm in the middle of battle trying to run through these spiders... not fun at all [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

I managed to use the mouse to turn around, so I kept turning into the spiders, but man... was it a nasty battle. Moments after it completed, two more spiders showed up!

Needless to say, the old keyboard came back in a hurry. Funny left turns are far more preferable to constant intermittent running...

Just thought I'd share that bit with you all, and hopefully brighten your day (or night).
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 05:06 AM   #2
Radek
Red Dragon

And have you tried left shift, Bungleau? Perhaps, you will be able to turn left instead of right now [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

The OS/2 community is spreading the following joke:

- Do you know why they call it Microsoft?
- ? ? ?
- It's the evaluation of Big Bill by his bride after the wedding night

Therefore, what do you expect from Microsoft? It's useless [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2004, 09:04 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

The new keyboard was completely misbehaving... I suspect it didn't like the KVM switch too much. Left-shift movement works just fine... it's only the right shift. Which makes gaming a challenge, naturally, since while hunting for salads, I ned to be able to move and cast those *storm spells at the same time...

Guess that's what I get for buying those "free after rebate" keyboards

I may have to spend a couple of buck for another decent keyboard. We'll see....
-+-+-+
Old 09-10-2004, 09:49 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Sounds like you really had a time of it! [img]smile.gif[/img]

But it really should be the game that is the challenge - not the hardware. After all the times you have replayed this game, I suppose hardware induced difficulties are the only variation left! hehehehe

Thanks for sharing!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:09 AM   #5
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Left-shift movement works just fine... it's only the right shift. Which makes gaming a challenge, naturally, since while hunting for salads, I ned to be able to move and cast those *storm spells at the same time...
In W&W I've mapped any useful keys (as in any game I play) to the left hand -- WASD + keys for the pinky & thumb + quickies for the index finger. Some of them work like bucky bits, i.e. W is run: I've got no forward key, just use right mouse button. The rest you can strike a chord with the bass hand while using the mouse to do the artsy treble stuff.

It just makes the game much easier -- I've also mapped the function keys to within easy reach of the left hand, to make task switching painless.
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 10:55 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm? I thought I posted a response to this last night... must be the boogre brew talking [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]

Anyway, I tried remapping it last night. Unfortunately, the same problem happened. I'm going to try another keyboard tonight... the "good" one from my now old computer.
-+-+-+
Old 09-12-2004, 10:15 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

And the good news is that the "good" keyboard fixed the problem! Fortunately, Office Max has them on sale this week, so I'll be picking up another one.

That's what I get for buying free keyboards...
-+-+-+