Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2001, 08:54 AM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

Ok, here's what I'm trying to figure out. I'd like to play with all the NPCs in a game and I think it figured out how. Basically, I want to design a party of 5 characters, and then let the 6th slot be filled with an extra. Here's what I'm thinking would work.

Party A
Minsc -> Keldorn
Jahiera -> Mazzy
Me (wild mage)
Jan -> Imoen
Viconia

I hear it's good to have a full cleric in the game. But I also hear that Keldorn and Viconia won't work together. So then I thought of this one...

Party B
Keldorn
Anomen
Me (wild mage)
Jan -> Imoen
Aerie

The thing about this one is that I don't have a full cleric, but two halfs, which may be good, but they'll both level up rather slow anyway. Besides, this leaves my only romance to be Aerie, and she kinda annoys me.

Party C
Minsc
Jahiera
Me (wild mage)
Jan -> Imoen
Viconia

I figure that even though I lose Keldorn, I have a full cleric, a good Tank (gotta love Minsc), I can do a romance with either Vic or Jah. And then I can pick up Mazzy later as a good sniper. I was also thinking of keeping mazzy as my 6th after I'm done with the other NPCs.

One more thing though, because I'm a good party, do I have to worry about Vic leaving if my rep gets too high? Also, what's the soonest possible chapter to rescue Imoen, and what level should my chars be to do so? I want to get her as soon as possible and then do the rest of the NPC quests so I can level Imoen up more. But try not to spoil too much, if anything, as I'm only up to chapter 2. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2001, 09:03 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

*cough* *cough*

Anomen is a fighter dualled to Cleric. Believe it or not, he is actually a full Cleric, capable of attaining until level 39. Only a one level difference.

What is the difference between a Lvl 40 Cleric and a Lvl 39 Cleric? 2 Hp, 1 Weapon Proficiency and 1 Turn Undead Level... ...

Trust me on this... Anomen is a much, much, much, much, better Cleric than Viconia. She is sexier though.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Paladin meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a bard and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 09-28-2001, 10:45 AM   #3
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
[B She is sexier though.
[/B]
...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay sexier...

------------------
The malt beer lord has come!
Ruby Skald of the ALSB
Old 09-28-2001, 11:22 AM   #4
Kitty
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
*cough* *cough*

Anomen is a fighter dualled to Cleric. Believe it or not, he is actually a full Cleric, capable of attaining until level 39. Only a one level difference.

What is the difference between a Lvl 40 Cleric and a Lvl 39 Cleric? 2 Hp, 1 Weapon Proficiency and 1 Turn Undead Level... ...

Trust me on this... Anomen is a much, much, much, much, better Cleric than Viconia. She is sexier though.

Viconia may be 1 level higher than Anomen, but who wants someone who turns undead into allies when you want them destroyed? This is one of Anomen's best features: turn undead!
Old 09-28-2001, 11:54 AM   #5
Ed
Manshoon

Try to duel calss as little as poss. I find the purer your party, the better it tends to be (a mon avis....)

------------------

The REAL Minsc/Boo double act .....

Platinum Fighter of ALSB
Old 09-28-2001, 06:53 PM   #6
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Well from a ROLEPLAYING perspective there is nothing worse than dual class (I mean it makes little to no sense that a fighter forgets how to fight then starts casting spells then a while later, after becoming even more of a book worm, suddenly remembers how to fight again hehe) but from a power perspective dual class is head and shoulders beyond 1 class! I mean you get all of the abilities of your first class but for all intents and purposes you are a full member of your new class. How can that be worse than playing just that regular class from the start (well aside from the time spent activiting your original classes abilities of course). Even if you dual right at the start of the game its better than than playing alot of single class characters (unless of course you want to play a kit with your 2nd class. Then you are out of luck.
Old 09-28-2001, 07:12 PM   #7
Tuor
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed:
Try to duel calss as little as poss. I find the purer your party, the better it tends to be (a mon avis....)

I completely disagree with you there, you point your single class fighter, mage, cleric, thief whatever and I'll produce a dual class character that can beat it 90 p[er cent of the time. (with possibly the exception of mage)

I agree there are realignment issues when you dual class i.e going from a fighter to a mage you have to horde all your gear, you lose a fighter for ages etc etc and you may have to change your combat tactics but dual class characters are definitely more powerful.

My example is this my toughest party ever and we're talking one that wipes out dragions usually within 1-2 rounds with no cheesy tactics and mostly no injuries to the characters is this.

3 fighter/mage dual classes. two dualled at 9th level and one dual classed at 12th level.
A cleric/mage dual classed at 10th level
a fighter/cleric dual classed at 12th level
a kensai thief dual classed at 12th level

They can all look after themselves if they are in hand to hand combat and they will take out anyone very very quickly. It is an extreme example of a party but a single class party won't get close to being as powerful once they regain their abilities from their first class.
Old 09-28-2001, 07:41 PM   #8
deathknight
Drow Warrior

I agree totaly tuor. When you make a party of characters all of your own the effects of dual classing is magnified. Even 1 dual classed character can make a huge difference in a fight but 6 eek hehe. I am currently going through BG II with a party of my own and I didn't go with 6 dual classed characters (mainly because I wanted to play a monk and a sorcerer just to play them not for power reasons). My own party of dual classed characters is truley insane though. my poor single class characters are wondering what the hell is going on now that they are just mere peons watching the awesome versatility of the kensai/mage or ranger/cleric or whatever.

Now I may get some debating from other people on this belief but I think anomen is the most powerful npc in the game. and the reason is that he is a fighter dualed to a spellcaster which is a VERY good thing to do. The same can be said really of any class. Fighter to anything else is fantastic.
Old 09-28-2001, 08:14 PM   #9
Tuor
Elminster

Exactly, except anomen dualled at the wrong time and chose the wrong proficiencies, he should have gone at 9th level to get the extra hps and weapon proficiency.

Incidently if you dual class a fighter at 9th level into any other class and you're starting as a first level mage/thief/cleric with 100+hit points it makes life a little bit easier.