Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2003, 02:14 PM   #1
breadbin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am going to play nwn as a monk and I have never played nwn before. Should I choose recommended for the stats? Or do I need to buy more Dex than normal. I remember in BG2 I was rerolling the stats for ages and got a fairly good score in the end but it is different here. As I level up can I buy more stats? Thanks

[ 10-05-2003, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: breadbin ]
Old 10-05-2003, 03:42 PM   #2
Stratos
Vampire

Some tips:

Strenght: Used for Attack bonus and damage as well as carrying capacity. You can't go wrong with adding some points here, 14 or so should be adequate to begin with unless you're a powergamer.

Dexterity: Adds to Armor Class and reflex saves. Important for a Monk and should be raised whenever you can. Should be, at least, around 14 from start.

Constitution: Determines bonus HP when leveling up and fort. saves. The Monk is a d8 class so you get a decent amount of Hp. You will also gain immunity to poison and disease eventually, which fort. saves protect against, so there no real reason to raise Con. above 14. If you want some extra Hp there's always the Toughness feat.

Wisdom: The Monk can get an AC bonus from Wisdom and it also helps some abilities like Stunning Fist and Quivering Palm so a few points here wont hurt. 14 or so from the go should be a good start. It also boosts Will saves.

Intelligence: The only real reason to put points here is to get some more skill points. The 4/level-up you get as a Monk, 5 if you're a Human, is enough but if you want some more here is the place to spend some points.

Charisma: Not important either for the Monk. It helps skills such as Persuasion but really isn't essential for a Monk.

You get one additional ability point at every fourth level and raising a stat with those points only takes one point. In other words raising your Dex from 16 to 17 only takes one point in the game, while doing the same at character creation takes 3. You get a total of 5 extra points in the game assuming you reach lv. 20.

Also note that you only get a stat modifier ( bonus to skills, abilities etc.) at even numbers, so a Dex of 14 would give you a +2 modifier to, say, Stunning Fist while a Dex of 15 would still only give you +2. You would have to raise your Dex to 16 before you got a +3 modifier.

Hope this sheds some light on things.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:14 PM   #3
breadbin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks Stratos that is what I needed. I looked all over but there does not seem to be any other info about it. I will try that then
Old 10-06-2003, 01:24 PM   #4
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Check out my reply here:

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/no...c;f=7;t=002176

For something a little different check out my post here:

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/no...;f=26;t=000080

(the monk sorceror post in the SOU forum)

[ 10-06-2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: ScottG ]
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 01:31 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

For a monk, wisdom is your best friend.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:13 PM   #6
breadbin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks I will have a look through them. I have not started playing yet because my computer is too slow. I was struggling through, it was not too bad unitl I went out to Neverwinter and it just crawled along, jerking everywhere. I don't want to ruin it so will get new mobo soon. I was playing as Sorceror though until then. I thought back to BG2 where I played as solo monk and it ruined it because it was no challenge. I have never played mage so I might try with that.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:31 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

What are you specs? Speed, Ram, Video card, Soundcard? What OS are you running? NWN's can be played below minimum with the right tweaking.
I remember you said you had a gefoce 2 before your radeon.
I played NWN's on a geforce 2 for months and it works great with most of the settings on medium or down, you know I saw one in Gamezone for 30 euro.

[ 10-08-2003, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 10-09-2003, 05:42 PM   #8
breadbin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi, I have a P3 666 256MB, Win98 for games, and a Radeon 7000. It is going back a few years since I put it together. It is time I upgraded. I think Quake 2 was only out when I bought all that stuff. Thats a long time ago. The RAM kept me going this long. I am playing Icewind Dale 2 now so by the time I am finished I will have all the requirements to play NWN. I had a look at the suggestion of Sorceror Monk combo. It sounds a little too complicated, might have another look thouhg. I am always interested in something differnt. I usually play bashing.

EDIT: sorry that was ScottGs monk/sorceror thing.

[ 10-09-2003, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: breadbin ]
Old 10-11-2003, 01:30 AM   #9
ScottG
Drow Warrior

For most of SOU it is a melee character. For NWN's however you get to 9th level near the end of chp. 1, and at char. level 8 the character starts becoming "more" magically offensive. Still though, its a LOT of fun firing off 30 points worth of damage from one casting of magic missiles or obliterating everything in a wide area with 2 castings of ice storm. Also nice to have the support from summons (especially a skeleton chieftan who typically does 14+ damage each hit).
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 12:44 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by breadbin:
Hi, I have a P3 666 256MB, Win98 for games, and a Radeon 7000. It is going back a few years since I put it together. It is time I upgraded. I think Quake 2 was only out when I bought all that stuff. Thats a long time ago. The RAM kept me going this long. I am playing Icewind Dale 2 now so by the time I am finished I will have all the requirements to play NWN. I had a look at the suggestion of Sorceror Monk combo. It sounds a little too complicated, might have another look thouhg. I am always interested in something differnt. I usually play bashing.

EDIT: sorry that was ScottGs monk/sorceror thing.
NWN's should play fine on your system right now. Any trouble you're having is just that: trouble, and not the result of a low end system not making the sys req's. Do try a fresh installation just to make sure.

Good luck with IWD2, I loved the IWD series which is weird cuz many didn't.

[ 10-11-2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]