Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2003, 05:44 AM   #11
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Madman-Rogovich:
quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
The Ramones!!!!
Yeah man i Just saw Marky Ramone playing live with the misfits last thursday he gave me a high 5 it was wild, im also noticing there are a few mentions of hair metal but no mentions of Nuclear Assault. however greatest rock band?

id say: 3 - Creedence Clearwater Revival
2 - Van Halen
1 - Anthrax

With Blue Oyster Cult and Zeppelin comin in closely behind
[/QUOTE]Thats right! Good show, aye? I am uterlly jelous!!! O-well, can I live vicariously through you? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2003, 06:22 AM   #12
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
I have respect for the Beatles, but would never classify them as my "favourite" - too many infantile straightforward songs along the lines of "All you need is Love" and "Obladi Oblada" which were influential just the same in later decades, but not really something to be particularly glad or proud about. Or perhaps it's a little too easy to blame the Beatles for the terrible bands in later decades as well.
But the question is who are the greatest not who are your favourite.

The Beatles broke up over 40 years ago but everyone has heard of them, their albums still sell and their music is still being played. No other group has been as innovative, they had the first concept album and the first music video. They were extremely innovative in the instruiments they used. They had an enourmous influence on popular music and continue to do so today.

No offence to anyone's taste in music but some of the names being put forward as the greatest here are just laughable. Ask yourself if your favourite group will be talked about in 40 years time.

Groj, you need to revisit Obladi Oblada. It isn't infantile or straightforward.

"Desmond stays at home and does his pretty face
And in the evening she's a singer with the band"

Transvestites in the 60's!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-03-2003, 06:50 AM   #13
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
But the question is who are the greatest not who are your favourite.
Indeed, in which case I've pretty much made clear already that my vote goes the Beatles. I merely expanded my post with what I consider to be my personal favourites, as I hadn't posted about that this week yet ( ). But you could disregard that part, if you like.

Quote:

The Beatles broke up over 40 years ago but everyone has heard of them, their albums still sell and their music is still being played. No other group has been as innovative, they had the first concept album and the first music video. They were extremely innovative in the instruiments they used. They had an enourmous influence on popular music and continue to do so today.

No offence to anyone's taste in music but some of the names being put forward as the greatest here are just laughable. Ask yourself if your favourite group will be talked about in 40 years time.
Oh, probably not. Some of my favourite bands are hardly ever even talked about nowadays, but I'm not complaining. But popularity doesn't automatically equal quality - while the question whether they'll still be talked about in 40 years is a sum of both, and several other as-of-yet unpredictable factors and contexts. And it's one of the sad consequences that many very influential and decent bands will never get the acknowledgement and respect they deserve. But I suppose we're going off topic now.

Quote:

Groj, you need to revisit Obladi Oblada. It isn't infantile or straightforward.

"Desmond stays at home and does his pretty face
And in the evening she's a singer with the band"

Transvestites in the 60's!
I will; you're right, was actually thinking of another song. But what I was trying to hint at, was the extraordinary talent of the Beatles to turn the most simple of melodies into catchy, not too deep songs - something I deeply respect, but not all of those songs will be played regularly in Grojlach Mansion. I prefer most of their later, more psychedelic work.

[ 06-03-2003, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 06-03-2003, 08:31 AM   #14
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Well, Greatest musician(s), although not a rock star, would have to be Eric Clapton. If you want a "Rock" star though, then I'd have to say Steven Tyler. Not only does he put on a kick arse show, but he's lived the stereotypical rock star life and lived to tell about it.
Number one Rock Band would be the Beatles, no question.

[ 06-03-2003, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: harleyquinn ]
Old 06-03-2003, 08:48 AM   #15
Epona
Zartan

I agree that the Beatles have to be one of the greatest (if not the greatest) band of all time.

They may not have been the most innovative group of the time, either musically or lyrically, but they popularised a certain style of music that has influenced pop and chart music ever since.

In terms of influencing the direction of popular music, there are plenty of artists that should be considered.

Carl Perkins - one of the first artists to popularise black music amongst a white audience through rockabilly - writer of Blue Suede Shoes, and several songs performed by the Beatles. Didn't achieve overwhelming success as a performer in his own right, but played an important role in the development of rock and roll.

Elvis Presley - again in his early years popularised black music amongst white youth. Don't underestimate the importance of that in modern music! At the time, black artists simply could not get played on white radio stations, and were largely unheard of. Without Presley, the audience for black music would have been far smaller, and would maybe not have the same impact it has today, or would have taken longer to be acheived.

I'll try to think of some more later.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:14 AM   #16
Epona
Zartan

And if we're talking about influences in rock music how about:

Adolph Rickenbacker - musician, and inventor of the first commercially viable electric guitar (the frying pan).

Les Paul - musician and inventor of the first solid bodied electric guitar (the log).

None of it would have been possible without these guys
Old 06-03-2003, 09:16 AM   #17
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Boy... in terms of impact, I'll go for Elvis, the Beatles, Queen, and KISS.

Elvis, because he opened the door for motion in a musician and introduced rhythm and blues to the "established" world.

Beatles because they expanded the realm. Do you realize how few years they actually played and recorded? And decades later they're still viable.

Queen because of musical approaches and musical investigation. Who else could get airplay for a mini-opera (Bohemian Rhapsody)? Look at their music and instrumentation, and it's always unique.

And KISS for bringing life to the stage. All real stage presence stems from KISS... all the theatrics and grandiose actions. Alice Cooper followed shortly after, but KISS fired the opening round... and continues to fire.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:42 AM   #18
Rokenn
Galvatron

Led Zepplin, they can still kick the ass of any band out there [img]smile.gif[/img]

Elvis, because he IS the King.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:51 AM   #19
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
They may not have been the most innovative group of the time, either musically or lyrically, .
Arrgh!

"I don't really want to stop the show
But I thought you'd all like to know"

Do you take the hint young whippersnapper!!! The first ever concept album. The use of the sitar, huge numbers of unusual instruments, inclusion of classical music, psychedelia, multi tracking! The first ever album to have the words on the sleeve.

"The impact of the Beatles - not only on rock & roll but on Western culture - is simply incalculable. As musicians, they proved that rock & roll could embrace a limitless variety of harmonies, structures and sounds; virtually every rock experiment has some precedent on Beatle records."

"Although many of their sales and attendance records have since been surpassed, no group has so radically transformed the sound and meaning of rock & roll."

- Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock and Roll

I'm going to have my afternoon nap now!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-03-2003, 09:56 AM   #20
MagiK

For sheer longevity and $$$$ I would think Beatles and Stones have to be tops...My personal faves include (not necessarily in order)
Def Leppard
Ozzy
KISS
Kansas
Styx
Alice Cooper
Led Zepplin
Joan Jett
and oh so very many others [img]smile.gif[/img]