Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-23-2001, 05:42 PM   #1
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Here we go again.

I suppose that at least this means the insane "War on Drugs" might be finally running out of steam.

But now we have the "War on Terrorism," in which case we are using the full might of our military strength.

Whoaaahhhh there, Mr. Bush, and my fellow Americans.

The War analogy is a FALSE one. It is only going to confuse our thinking on the proper response.

It would be more accurate to view what happened not as a WAR between the US and some foreign gov't -- especially not against Afghanistan.

It would be better to treat it for what it was, as CRIMES against various individuals, some american, some foreign, and property owners, including the US government.

Everything the terrorists did can be accounted for by routine principles of New York state and Federal criminal laws. (The same in the other jurisdicitions)

Plainly, they are guilty (assuming once again that we really know who did it) of over 6,000 counts of Murder, among thousands of other criminal offenses, which would certainly warrant the death penalty, if anything ever does. That includes Bin Laden (assuming he was really the one behind it) and all his co-conspiritors.

We are giving Bin Laden too much credit on the international scene by declaring this a war. Or are we recognizing Bin Laden as a legitimate government in his own right? If so, where is his land? Who are his people?

Why the quick rhetoric from Bush and so many others about this being a War?

What does he have to gain by insisting on War terminology?

If you ask me, he seems overeager to use his military toys, like his daddy before him in Kuwait. (Supposedly the very reason Ben Laden turned against the US in the first place!)

Old 09-23-2001, 05:46 PM   #2
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

when you have a bigger car, you would want to drive it, right?
Old 09-23-2001, 05:52 PM   #3
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Here we go again.

I suppose that at least this means the insane "War on Drugs" might be finally running out of steam.

But now we have the "War on Terrorism," in which case we are using the full might of our military strength.

Whoaaahhhh there, Mr. Bush, and my fellow Americans.

The War analogy is a FALSE one. It is only going to confuse our thinking on the proper response.

It would be more accurate to view what happened not as a WAR between the US and some foreign gov't -- especially not against Afghanistan.

It would be better to treat it for what it was, as CRIMES against various individuals, some american, some foreign, and property owners, including the US government.

Everything the terrorists did can be accounted for by routine principles of New York state and Federal criminal laws. (The same in the other jurisdicitions)

Plainly, they are guilty (assuming once again that we really know who did it) of over 6,000 counts of Murder, among thousands of other criminal offenses, which would certainly warrant the death penalty, if anything ever does. That includes Bin Laden (assuming he was really the one behind it) and all his co-conspiritors.

We are giving Bin Laden too much credit on the international scene by declaring this a war. Or are we recognizing Bin Laden as a legitimate government in his own right? If so, where is his land? Who are his people?

What does he have to gain by insisting on War terminology?

If you ask me, he seems overeager to use his military toys, like his daddy before him in Kuwait. (Supposedly the very reason Ben Laden turned against the US in the first place!)

Diogones, you are brilliant and I totally applaud you.

------------------
Old 09-23-2001, 06:04 PM   #4
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:

Because 6,500 people died in a single co-ordinated attack from three planes captured by members of a foreign organisation hostile to the United States.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 09-23-2001).]
Old 09-23-2001, 06:08 PM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

1 a (1) : a state of usually open and declared armed hostile conflict between states or nations (2) : a period of such armed conflict (3) : STATE OF WAR b : the art or science of warfare c (1) obsolete : weapons and equipment for war (2) archaic : soldiers armed and equipped for war

2 a : a state of hostility, conflict, or antagonism b : a struggle or competition between opposing forces or for a particular end

------------------

Old 09-23-2001, 06:09 PM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Number two does it for me Diogenes

------------------

Old 09-23-2001, 06:11 PM   #7
tracey
Manshoon

diogenes of pumpkintown is the voice of reason and i vote he/she/it should be ruler of the world.
Old 09-23-2001, 06:16 PM   #8
Tancred
White Dragon

The 'War' thing isn't just Bush sounding off and wanting to ride his charger to battle. The concept of a 'War' is the Last Resort. You can't fight the drug cartels using Law - it has already been tried. These people live outside the system - they have the power to resist the normal rules of law and order. You can't just 'arrest' a drug baron. Likewise a terrorist not on American soil. They can't be touched by the law. So, here comes the attempt to shift the terrorists from their cover by uprooting the government they are protected under. It's extreme and brutal and an exceptionally vast display of force - overkill - but it's better than trying to arrest someone who is, in effect, a supervillain.
Old 09-23-2001, 06:17 PM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:
diogenes of pumpkintown is the voice of reason and i vote he/she/it should be ruler of the world.
Except that that voice is ignoring the English Language Tracey.

Also, Mr. Bin Laden is not a citizen of the United States, nor is he a resident. If we're going to start trying foreign nationals all over the world for this sort of thing should Japan start sueing/prosecuting the Pilots who droppd the bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima? What about the President and all in the chain of command?

Give me a break.

"War" is a perfect description under the English definition and under the circumstances.

------------------

Old 09-23-2001, 06:18 PM   #10
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:

LOL. Cool! I appoint you Minion #1ai1.b