Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-16-2001, 06:09 AM   #21
Sir_Tainly

Just bought three Joe Satriani albums last week in a box set for £15, I already had Surfing with the Alien, but for the price I wasnt gonna argue

------------------
Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 07-16-2001, 07:24 AM   #22
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

I have a huge collection of blues music - and most of the guitarists in it appeal to me more than Clapton. His playing has always seemed to me to be detatched and lacking in punch - too critical.

btw - a bassist IS a guitarist!!!! try and tell my bass palying frineds they dont play guitar and you will take your nose home in a doggy bag.

Gotta love Stevie Ray Vaughan as well - much more fire than clapped out.

Love most of the bluegrass guitarists I hav eheard - even tho I cant remember their names. *shame*

And if Rory Gallgher can play " a bit" I am off to amputate my hands. :9

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
www.judyhope.co.uk
Old 07-16-2001, 08:52 AM   #23
Guyan Sethe
Dungeon Master

Pantera´s Dimebag Darrell is God!!!!! End discussion.

------------------
Might makes right.
Old 07-16-2001, 04:03 PM   #24
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Quote:
Originally posted by kiwidoc:
I have a huge collection of blues music - and most of the guitarists in it appeal to me more than Clapton. His playing has always seemed to me to be detatched and lacking in punch - too critical.

btw - a bassist IS a guitarist!!!! try and tell my bass palying frineds they dont play guitar and you will take your nose home in a doggy bag.

Gotta love Stevie Ray Vaughan as well - much more fire than clapped out.

Love most of the bluegrass guitarists I hav eheard - even tho I cant remember their names. *shame*

And if Rory Gallgher can play " a bit" I am off to amputate my hands. :9

Well I am no bass expert. But when I think "bass" I think Les Claypool and Cliff Burton. And when I lesson to there styles and see how the play it just dosent seem guitar. Thats just me though I have alot of twisted views on things...so they say

And yes Dimbag is AWSOME one of my all time favorits. Not the best though

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be
Old 07-16-2001, 04:24 PM   #25
Redblueflare
Galvatron

To be honest I don't know many guitarists, but I do like Jimi Hendrix, and Dave Matthews.

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Old 07-16-2001, 04:48 PM   #26
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Johnny Bravo rocks
Old 07-16-2001, 10:05 PM   #27
Conan

"Assembled in the ashes of the Yardbirds' collapse,Zeppelin was heir to the great group's rampant experimentalism, its Oriental inclinations, its rude, guitar-charged aggression."
"English guitar hotshots scurring off to their rooms to flail away for hours.Trying to work out how Buddy Holly made those chord leads ring, how cliff Gallup kept cool pop going again behind Gene Vincent, how James Burton endeavored to make Ricky Nelson records intresting."

------------------
Power perceived is power acheived..Conan

[This message has been edited by Conan (edited 07-16-2001).]

Old 07-16-2001, 11:52 PM   #28
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by sylent:
So Earthdog my fellow Melbournian,
Do you play guitar yourself?
You certainly know your stuff! I haven't actually heard Joe Satriani, what band is he from (if he was ever in one). Sounds like I need to hear some of his shite.
I pretty much like all guitarists, though I would rather hear a polished really good piece of music, than something that has been reworked and stuff, even though that often sounds really cool.
I want to have a play around with some funky pedals and stuff, because they sound like magic!
I played around in a band at school, and did some lead guitar. Nothing complex, just basic improvisation. I have an idea of what it takes though, and I appreciate a good performance more now.

If I just led ye off on a completely false trail... bugger it!

I do play a little. Nothing major. Mostly rythem.

If you have a program for downloading music like WinMX or anything, do a search for Joe Satriani. Two of my favourite titles are "satch Boogie" and "Mystical Potatohead Groove Thing". "Summer Song" is another good one but with Satch its hard to go wrong. Hes a great bass player as well and he did all his own stuff until his 4th or 5th album. Lots of nice little bass solos on all his albums. The guy is truly amazing.

If youve ever listened to Metallica the opening riff on Master of Puppets (title tune) was simply a fingering excersize that Satriani taught Kirk Hammet to warm up with. Hammet went back to the band and said " Hey check this out" they took it and ran with it.

Steve Vai being Satrianis #1 student has some awesome stuff as well. Look for "The Audience is Listening" and "Theres a Fire in the House". The former has one of the most awesome wicked shredding lead breaks youll ever hear. The Latter has a great lead break as well but is more of a typical metal tune. Very cool stuff. Also look for " The Love of God" and "attitude song" which can be found live as well as studio versions. Live are better.

If you want to Hear some good remakes, look for Joe Satriani Steve Vai and Eric Johnson. This from the tour they did together. Great tunes they remade were "My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama" by Frank Zappa, and "Redhouse" by Jimi Hendrix.
Ones metal and the other is blues, but both are great.

Ohe yeah, Satch was never in a band. The only reason he started a recording career was Students like Vai and Hammet kept telling him he was too good just to be an instructor. His music and theories should be recorded for future generations, and they were the ones that were rich and he was far more talented then they were so why shouldnt he do it to??? Afteryears of this he finally gave in and recorded his first album which wasnt all the great because he programmed the drum machines himself and didnt use a real drummer. The bass parts on the album were great though.

Speaking of Bass, Satrianis bass player in concert and now on his albums is Stu Hamm. This guy is probably the best bass player Ive ever heard.

If you search for Stu Hamm look for "Linus and Lucy" yes its the theme from Peanuts. But he plays the piano parts on his bass. Its amazing to see because one had is doing one thing completely independant from the other hand which is doing something totally different. AMAZING

I could go on for hours
If you have MSN add me (look up my email in my profile).

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2001, 05:54 AM   #29
sylent
Emerald Dragon

I am getting some Satriani right now, so it should be good to listen to.
Its always a bit of fun to play around on a guitar though, I love it.
My guitarist collection is not very extensive, I have a greatest hits of Hendrix, and also a CD of Led zeppelins greatest hits, which has some cool guitar on it, from Jimmy Page.

------------------
"Watch your back"
Old 07-17-2001, 06:14 AM   #30
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

I would have to say that the best one that I've seen live is Robin Trower. I saw him in Germany in 1975 or 1976 when I was stationed there.