Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2006, 04:50 PM   #51
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Did you guys even bother to patch?
Old 11-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #52
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Alright, so I read up on the net and managed to configure the game and my system to a point where I think the game is playable.

First the camera. In nwplayer.ini in my documents, I changed this value to this.
CameraFollowAlways=1

Now on chase camera, the camera turn the instant I press A or D to turn my around, instead of waiting for when I'm moving, so I can use A and D to look around and when I put the mouse cursor on the top or bottom of the screen I can move the camera up or down, so it goes ok.

Then for performances. I went in the nwn.ini in my documents and put those values as follow:

SEFCacheTimeout=500
SEFCacheSize=50

This is the cache for special script effects or something like that. It was recommended to raise it to that.

And one of the more important. In the game options, turn off Object Fade, I don't know about you, but this one is hell on my computer. Turning it off really help.

I also lowered the draw distance to 100, this seem more than enough, it doesn't restrict my vision inside and even outside it seem like a realistic distance and I can see where I'm going just fine. You really need to drop it a lot to even notice a difference, in my opinion.

Then I have an NVIDA card, so I used coolbits to change "Max frames to render ahead" to 1.

Now I'm playing the game in 1280x1024, High textures, bloom enabled, low shadow, medium in the advanced settings etc. The game still look ugly as far as I'm concerned, probably less beatifull than NWN 1, but it's decent, and I actually have decent framerate. I can finally actually play the game now.

Edit: Of course I removed the water reflection as was said earlier, that goes without saying.

[ 11-05-2006, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:20 PM   #53
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Uglier than NWN1?
Old 11-06-2006, 01:46 AM   #54
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Not the rolling eyes again!
Old 11-06-2006, 03:21 AM   #55
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Someone posted a graphic comparison of NWN 1 and NWN 2, and I to=hought it was interesting. What exactly are the updated reqs used for?

NWN1: http://www.freewebs.com/thiefsrpgs/Camthalion.JPG
NWN2: http://www.freewebs.com/thiefsrpgs/Camthalion2.JPG
LOL at that first pic. Dexterity 45? [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #56
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Alright, so I read up on the net and managed to configure the game and my system to a point where I think the game is playable.

First the camera. In nwplayer.ini in my documents, I changed this value to this.
CameraFollowAlways=1

Now on chase camera, the camera turn the instant I press A or D to turn my around, instead of waiting for when I'm moving, so I can use A and D to look around and when I put the mouse cursor on the top or bottom of the screen I can move the camera up or down, so it goes ok.

Then for performances. I went in the nwn.ini in my documents and put those values as follow:

SEFCacheTimeout=500
SEFCacheSize=50

This is the cache for special script effects or something like that. It was recommended to raise it to that.

And one of the more important. In the game options, turn off Object Fade, I don't know about you, but this one is hell on my computer. Turning it off really help.

I also lowered the draw distance to 100, this seem more than enough, it doesn't restrict my vision inside and even outside it seem like a realistic distance and I can see where I'm going just fine. You really need to drop it a lot to even notice a difference, in my opinion.

Then I have an NVIDA card, so I used coolbits to change "Max frames to render ahead" to 1.

Now I'm playing the game in 1280x1024, High textures, bloom enabled, low shadow, medium in the advanced settings etc. The game still look ugly as far as I'm concerned, probably less beatifull than NWN 1, but it's decent, and I actually have decent framerate. I can finally actually play the game now.

Edit: Of course I removed the water reflection as was said earlier, that goes without saying.
I had tried most of these beforehand and I get okay frames but as said before the game just runs badly. I can put all settings on low and there is still a struggle at regular intervals. I look around and I can't see the graphical justification for the slowdown.

The camera follow tweak is useful but can also be a curse when you want to turn your char around or click something on front of him. I use it for driving mode but find I have to switch modes on the fly which is annoying and slows you down.

I amn't sure why "Object Fade" gave you a boost since it just makes objects that obscure the camera dissapear. For me it made no difference other than to allow walls and structures to get in the way of the camera. Does it do something else at the same time?

I think the cache timeout thing has to do with continous scripts running 'onheartbeat' which is good but still doesn't stop the graphical strain that exists for no real reason (IE the pics you posted comparing NWN1 and 2). The max frames on the nvidia tab can cause issues with multi-core systems so I avoided that. It doesn't really do that much unless your buffer is becoming saturated with frames and in some cases can cause a drop in performance since it dumps them. I remember using it for Oblivion.

What is your fps at now? Turning off the ATI workaround for lighting has helped some with nvidia cards, -not me, but it's worth a try.

The patcher updated this morning so there may be a patch on the way soon. Let's hope it fixes something.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:08 AM   #57
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

While waiting for my copy to get delivered ( still damn snail mail), I found this thread on the NVN2 foums. If you have a Nvidia card the new drivers seem to help a lot. Also using something called nhancer. I updated my driver now just in case it appears to work.
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums...9867&forum=109
Old 11-06-2006, 11:41 AM   #58
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

What's even more disappointing is that now that I'm getting into the game a bit (just got to Neverwinter) it's actually getting good from a story point of view. I like the cutscenes and the voiceacting, they give me that KOTOR feel and they add more layers of depth to your companions (they're more than just henchmen, they're companions). But I have to play it with pretty much all options switched off - I don't even get to see a sky, just a row of grey and black pixels (I can't work out what option fixes that and I'm scared to try to fiddle around with it now that I'm getting a consistent 8-12fps.

From a SP POV it's definitely better than NWN1. Haven't tried MP yet. In fact, you could almost argue that it's BG2.5 - the gameplay is so much more similar to BG1 and 2 rather than NWN - down to having to frequently use the spacebar to plan your actions (you can't just click on an enemy on the fly as 99% of the time you will miss him if your character is moving),the slower reaction time with the quickbar and the fact that some actions require you to pause combat. Even the view I'm using looks like BG2, except for the fact that it's 3D. It feels much more like BG2.5 (it's not quite BG3) than NWN2.

One thing I did notice that was lame (in what has been a really good gameplay, as opposed to tech, experience for me so far) was how one group of enemies were scripted - I was walking through a town (which will remain unnamed for spoiler reasons) and I happened to pass by a bunch of enemies who were standing, facing the opposite direction to me - there was a wall between us and they were facing the path in front of them (the path I was on would take a look and eventually pass in front of them). Obviously they were there to attack me if I ever came that way, but it looked cheesy - at least the scripters could have made them spawn when the trigger was passed, rather than have them stand there. It looked very IWD1, that encounter (you know, where you could walk through a dungeon and reveal ALL your enemies if you were invisible or stealthed).

[ 11-06-2006, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #59
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Even with a trigger spawn system, and invisible, or stealthed char would spawn in the encounter. As much lag as I'm reading about, you don't want it to have triggered encounters any more than is necessary, as that will put a major burden on system resources. If you want a good example of trigger based lag, go to Skullport, in Z's mod, and walk by the outhouse by the trapped trailer, the laugh, groans, and hawkers that are set to fire on that trigger/series of triggers, will slow me down to 1 fps, if that.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #60
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
I had tried most of these beforehand and I get okay frames but as said before the game just runs badly. I can put all settings on low and there is still a struggle at regular intervals. I look around and I can't see the graphical justification for the slowdown.
I can't see it either, I'm just happy I get some more fps now.

Quote:

I amn't sure why "Object Fade" gave you a boost since it just makes objects that obscure the camera dissapear. For me it made no difference other than to allow walls and structures to get in the way of the camera. Does it do something else at the same time?

The problem as far as I'm concerned, is all the trees, having them at transparency mean every time you walk below one he'll turn see trough, but you can still see it some, and it add a layer of graphics over all the others, the water, and even the lightinig sources are taxing enough without adding a layer of half transparency moving over them.

Quote:
Turning off the ATI workaround for lighting has helped some with nvidia cards, -not me, but it's worth a try.

I haven't heard of this, how do I do that? Actually, is there a way to turn off or lower the quality of their dynamic lightning? I'm pretty sure that's the one that's the most taxing, but the best I can do in the option is lower it to two light sources per objects. I just want the object to radiate light, I don't want realistic lightning.

[ 11-06-2006, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote