Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-18-2002, 02:08 PM   #41
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
I do have to disagree with this statement though "except to bitch at their friends or neighbors which accomplishes nothing." this does accomplish something, just like this thread did. It has brought the issue to your attention. That my friends is the basis of democracy, the next step is to let your elected officials now how you feel.
I stand corrected. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-18-2002, 02:10 PM   #42
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Ummm.... Thanks, I suppose. But I can't really see where I express anything that's supportive of the US. Not that I have anything against the US, all that annoys me is when americans get a "We're so much better than the rest of the world" attitude. Besides that I have quite a few american friends and I think that the US HAS contributed some good to the world. Lots of nice computer games for instance All hail Blizzard!
You reminded me that people do watch what we do and may take some good or some bad from those issues...it is the possibility that someone might take a positive view of something we do that I had forgotten. Frankly if the world is just going to bitch at us I don't care..but the idea that we might do something positive means we should care.

[ 07-18-2002, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 07-18-2002, 02:56 PM   #43
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Yes, well anyways self shall now go and do something else. Perhaps I will mail my congressman, if I can find his address (shouldn't be too hard, it's probably easily accessable if I know where to look [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).
Old 07-18-2002, 03:17 PM   #44
Rokenn
Galvatron

TIPS hits a snag. Seems the postal services does not want to play spy games with Ashcroft:
Postal Service Won't Join TIPS Program
Old 07-18-2002, 03:21 PM   #45
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
TIPS hits a snag. Seems the postal services does not want to play spy games with Ashcroft:
Postal Service Won't Join TIPS Program
as I attempted to convey, this isn't something that is likely to get very far. There are just too many people who know better than to let it happen. You might be surprised at some of the assinine ideas that get pushed out on capitol hill...if the news reported them all no one would respect any of our law makers (if any one does now)

Old 07-18-2002, 03:27 PM   #46
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Lawmaker ? isnt that a drink or something ?
Old 07-18-2002, 03:31 PM   #47
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Elif Godson:
Whats in it? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-18-2002, 04:09 PM   #48
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by Elif Godson:
Whats in it? [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]It's a very weak-tasting brew that greatly resembles milktoast and smells like bulls**t, unfortunately it has a hidden kick that gives most voters at least a two-year hangover. The price varies greatly from state to state, but wherever you find a lobbyist, you can be sure they'll be sucking on a lawmaker.

Old 07-18-2002, 04:12 PM   #49
Azred
Drow Priestess

In a great irony, the former Soviet Bloc nations are continuing to move towards more freedom and a more market-based economic system while here in America we seem to be moving to a more totalitarian system with lots of corruption by those in economic/political power. *sigh*

There is no way that any sane person with even a high-school-level grasp of political science can find Operation TIPS to be Constitutional. Most likely, if the program goes through the Supreme Court will declare anyone signed up for TIPS to be "deputized" and thus any search or information they produce will be an illegal search/seizure. Of course, if this happens Bush will most likely sign an Executive Order and the program will proceed anyway....

On the one hand I have nothing to hide--you can search my place. On the other hand, if I have a fight with someone they could call in to TIPS then say "he is doing something suspicious" and I will become the victim of a false accusation with no legal recourse. Not likely with me, but hypothetically possible, of course.

This is definitely going too far. For years, many people have stated that they wouldn't mind giving up freedoms to win the "war on drugs". That is one war that has never, and will never, be won. The "war on terrorism" can also never be won--maybe you can stop some attacks before they happen if you get lucky, but the most reasonable conclusion is to maintain responsible vigilance.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:21 PM   #50
skywalker
Banned User

Just like McCarthy in the '50s. But instead of looking for Reds under the bed, we need to look for terrorists.

Mark