Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2004, 09:36 PM   #31
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

okay, i've got one for you:

you wake up trapped in a prison, and are told that you will be executed in two days. there are two doors from the room that you are trapped in, and two guards (one at each door). One door leads straight out of the prison to instant freedom, and the other door is booby trapped such that when it is opened you die. One guards is religious and always tells the truth, no matter what. His friend, the other guard, is a jerk who always lies. They cut you a deal and will let you ask one question to one of them (not one to each). what one question do you ask one of the guards to find out which door will get you to safety?
Old 04-17-2004, 09:47 PM   #32
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

The answer to the funky math riddle...

Reviewing:

One and three is three.

Three and one is thirteen.

Two and two? That's eight, of course.

Why? Well, remember that they're out on a bike ride. They both have 18-speed bikes, and they're talking about the gear combinations to get to certain speeds.

So one on the "big" gear and three on the little one makes third speed, or speed three. Move the big gear to three and the little one to one, and that's thirteenth speed. Two and two... that's 8.

Here:

Lft Rt Speed
1 1 1
1 2 2
1 3 3
1 4 4
1 5 5
1 6 6
2 1 7
2 2 8
2 3 9
2 4 10
2 5 11
2 6 12
3 1 13
3 2 14
3 3 15
3 4 16
3 5 17
3 6 18

If you have a 21-speed bike, there are seven numbers on the second gear, so it shifts. And my daughter's bike has no other speeds...

As for the latest question, what would the other guy say if I asked him which door led to safety? Then take the opposite.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:49 PM   #33
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by promethius9594:
okay, i've got one for you:

you wake up trapped in a prison, and are told that you will be executed in two days. there are two doors from the room that you are trapped in, and two guards (one at each door). One door leads straight out of the prison to instant freedom, and the other door is booby trapped such that when it is opened you die. One guards is religious and always tells the truth, no matter what. His friend, the other guard, is a jerk who always lies. They cut you a deal and will let you ask one question to one of them (not one to each). what one question do you ask one of the guards to find out which door will get you to safety?
Ask the one that always lies which door has the booby trap.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Old 04-17-2004, 10:55 PM   #34
Ehrys
Manshoon

Crap... I come back a few days later and missed all the riddles. LOL
Old 04-17-2004, 11:56 PM   #35
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
Ask the one that always lies which door has the booby trap. [/QUOTE]

not quite, but close. Sorry, i always forget to mention that you dont know which guard is which, so you dont know if you are talking to the liar or the truther.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:04 AM   #36
Ehrys
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by promethius9594:
the answer to "a box without hinges, key, lock, or lid, yet inside golden treasure is hid" is an egg. stop borrowing from "the Hobbit" for riddles.

Now that this has been dragged on long enough what is the answer to the funky math riddle?
Oh man, I hate math riddles.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:14 AM   #37
Ehrys
Manshoon

Is it Bungleau's answer: "what would the other guy say if I asked him which door led to safety? Then take the opposite." ?
Old 04-18-2004, 01:31 AM   #38
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

yes, it is. i didnt notice that he had answered it beneath his answer...

the guard who tells the truth would know that the other guard would lie, so he would tell you what the liar would say is the door to freedom (the wrong door).

the liar would know the other guard would tell the truth about the right door, so he would lie and tell you the wrong door. that way, you know you cant trust either guard to tell it to you straight, so you can take the other door. (its a modification of a riddle in the ever so awesome move "labyrinth")