Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2002, 07:13 PM   #21
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Well, I judge them, throwing rice has never killed someone as far as i can remember, kalashnikov's do !
Hunting is also a tradition in some countries which is morally unacceptable in most people's opinions nowadays. There's Russian Roulette. There's eating dogs. Depending on your point of view, all of that is possibly worse than shooting in the air with your guns (they probably use blank cartridges anyways ).
There are so many strange traditions in certain countries all over the world which are all looked upon with a disapproving glance by millions of people, but it doesn't mean it gives us a right to judge it... I just thought the American pilots were made aware of this tradition as it's not really that unknown some cultures do this during weddings, and it should *not* be used as an excuse to get all those people killed. "Sorry about the bomb and all the deaths and all, but they started by shooting blanks in the air for their wedding party!".

[ 07-01-2002, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 07-01-2002, 07:14 PM   #22
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Well, I judge them, throwing rice has never killed someone as far as i can remember, kalashnikov's do !
Apparently so do bombs dropped on civilians.

Mark
Old 07-01-2002, 07:18 PM   #23
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
So what are those pilots supposed to do when there's fire from the ground ? Contact HQ and inform if anyone knows there's a wedding somewhere in the area ??????
Old 07-01-2002, 07:21 PM   #24
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
So what are those pilots supposed to do when there's fire from the ground ? Contact HQ and inform if anyone knows there's a wedding somewhere in the area ??????
I don't, for one minute, believe that pilots have the ok to fire at targets indiscriminately. I believe that the incident was a errant bomb and not a targeted hit.

Mark
Old 07-01-2002, 07:22 PM   #25
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Don't these pilots have clear targets then? Mission statements they should follow? And I doubt the mission briefing they had the morning before included targetting civilians, officially they are trying to avoid civilian targets, right?

[ 07-01-2002, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 07-01-2002, 07:24 PM   #26
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Just forget I posted this thread at all. It's pretty clear, here, that the Afghanies were wrong and the children that died deserved their fate. I'm glad there was enough humor about this story to go around, though! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Mark
I hope there was a hell of a lot of sarcasm in that. The Americans were wrong, and everyone knows it.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 07-01-2002, 07:28 PM   #27
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Scholarcs:
I hope there was a hell of a lot of sarcasm in that. The Americans were wrong, and everyone knows it.
Absolutely, sarcastic!

I'm saddened that anyone would think that the deaths of innocent women and children is deserved or funny.

Scholarcs: you must not read many of the posts I write. If you did, you would know how my feelings run in these issues.

Mark

[ 07-01-2002, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: skywalker ]
Old 07-01-2002, 07:34 PM   #28
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Yeah, i'm sure they have their orders and are not allowed to open fire just like that, but they're not robots, they're humans and humans react all differently. This pilot saw gunshots and he responded to that, i think i would do the same, orders or no ! It happens over Iraki territory every day, a jet gets locked in from the ground by Iraki AA guns, he responds and splatters them all over the place. It's only a natural reflex.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:39 PM   #29
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Absolutely, sarcastic!

I'm saddened that anyone would think that the deaths of innocent women and children is deserved or funny.

Scholarcs: you must not read many of the posts I write. If you did, you would know how my feelings run in these issues.

Mark
I do read, but unfortunately, many people (especially Americans) do not know whether they support their government or not. Many people on this issue have feelings that flow back and forth.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 07-01-2002, 07:43 PM   #30
skywalker
Banned User

Oh I'm pretty steadfast in my feelings about my government on most issues. I anxiously await the day when I can join in booting the "Shrub" out of the White House at Election time in 2004!

I pat the US Goverment on the back whenever they earn it and as of late, those moments are few and far between.

Mark