Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 10-15-2004, 08:50 AM   #1
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

I have four fighters at level five, a paladin at level five, and a bard at level 6. I plan to dual class my fighters to illusionist, cleric, druid, and thief respectively once they've reached at least level 9. I played through the first two levels of Dragon's Eye with another party when I first got IWD. I'm a little leary of getting too far into Dragon's Eye without at least a thief (and hopefully a cleric!) due to the number of traps. Is there somewhere (in Kresselack's tomb perhaps?) where I can use the sleep-and-fight tactic to gain maximum expo in minimum time? The verbeeg's in the Temple of the Forgotten God are lame (420 expo each).

Cary
Old 10-15-2004, 10:35 AM   #2
NobleNick
Quintesson

Cary,

I have four fighters at level five, a paladin at level five, and a bard at level 6. I plan to dual class my fighters to illusionist, cleric, druid, and thief respectively once they've reached at least level 9.

Good girl! No one said this would be easy; but the longer you can go without, now, the happier you will be in the mid to late game and in HoW and TotLM.

I played through the first two levels of Dragon's Eye with another party when I first got IWD. I'm a little leary of getting too far into Dragon's Eye without at least a thief... Is there somewhere...I can use the sleep-and-fight tactic to gain maximum expo in minimum time

The best place amongst the areas you've already covered with your first party is, I think, at the end of DE1. Near the start of DE3 is another good (better than DE1) spot. I don't want to spoil for you, but if you make it through DE3 (should not be a big problem) there is an excellent place in DE4 to get lots (limitless) expo without even needing to sleep. You may need a bit of coaching so as to not terminate your opportunity before you recognize it. Also, getting expo here CAN BE like trying to get a drink of water from a fire hydrant, if you're not careful.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 11:53 AM   #3
Calagari
Manshoon

Cary
my party is about to face Yxunomei and it is as follows:
Fighter/Cleric 6/6, Ranger 7, Fighter 7, Pally 7, Mage 8, Mage/Thief 6/7

I am probably doing something very wrong again but the only traps I have found are those that shoot arrows causing poison or confusion. My Thief can detect traps but she has yet to do so on any I have faced on this 4 th level of DE. I don't think she has the ability to disarm traps yet. I use the save/reload system to walk around the traps I find. Near the end are a few chests that need picking but other than that the thief remains unemployed.

I stand corrected on this. My Thief found a number of places to unlock and disarm at the end of DE.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dancing Virginia:
I have four fighters at level five, a paladin at level five, and a bard at level 6. I plan to dual class my fighters to illusionist, cleric, druid, and thief respectively once they've reached at least level 9. I played through the first two levels of Dragon's Eye with another party when I first got IWD. I'm a little leary of getting too far into Dragon's Eye without at least a thief (and hopefully a cleric!) due to the number of traps. Is there somewhere (in Kresselack's tomb perhaps?) where I can use the sleep-and-fight tactic to gain maximum expo in minimum time? The verbeeg's in the Temple of the Forgotten God are lame (420 expo each).

Cary
[ 10-16-2004, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Calagari ]
Calagari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 03:08 PM   #4
NobleNick
Quintesson

...my party is about to face Yxunomei and it is as follows:

Calagari,

I take it then that the Wight barbeque went well??

Hey!! That is a very decent front line you have. Did you change it or did I just not understand what you had before? (Your Pally will get better with age. Just make sure he can sling a longsword.)

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 10-15-2004, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 03:28 PM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

Cary,

You can rest in the Vale of Shadows outside, and be attacked by yeti. 420 XP each. One thing I might also suggest, is that you bump up the difficulty level before doing so - at Insane, creatures do twice as much damage, but they have to hit you first. And they have the same amount of HP (I think) and give twice as much XP. 700 for a shadow and 840 for a yeti is quite respectable, and they don't have the punch that verbeeg or lizardmen do.

Bar none the best place to rest for XP is DE lvl 3. I may have mentioned this before, but there are some convenient little alcoves where you can stash vulnerable members of the party, leaving a couple tanks out front.

Calagari,

There aren't any traps on DE lvl 4. To detect traps, follow these steps:

1) advance thief out in front of the party (watch out for monsters; you may want to have speed boots on the thief or fighter-interceptors keeping pace a couple steps behind)
2) Hit the little icon with four triangles at the corners of a square - right beside the other thieving options.
3) Wait a bit - it takes a round (seven seconds) for traps to be detected. They will be outlined in red. To disarm, hit the general thieving button (also opens locks and picks pockets), move the cursor over the detected trap, and click. It should show a little green loop and the trap outlined in green before you click.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:56 PM   #6
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

I believe you also have to have your armor removed to disarm traps. Correct me if I'm wrong. :-D

Cary
Old 10-16-2004, 12:15 AM   #7
Aerich
Lord Ao

Maybe, I'm not sure. In PnP D&D, there is a penalty to the thief's chances depending on what type of armour they are wearing. I'm not sure if that happens in IWD - I haven't read anything about it, and I haven't noticed any change in the listed percentage when I take armour off.

You should be able to disarm traps and do all the normal thieving skills wearing armour up to and including studded leather. Fighter/thieves, if they are wearing better armour, have to take it off. However, I think it's still possible to detect traps wearing heavier armours.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:18 AM   #8
Calagari
Manshoon

we had Wight ribs a plenty. Everyone had a great time at the BBQ I never could have done it without the help of yourself and Aerich. You two must have this whole game memorized to be able to know as much as you do. I sure appreciate the help that is for sure.

Quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:
...my party is about to face Yxunomei and it is as follows:

Calagari,

I take it then that the Wight barbeque went well??

Hey!! That is a very decent front line you have. Did you change it or did I just not understand what you had before? (Your Pally will get better with age. Just make sure he can sling a longsword.)

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
Old 10-16-2004, 10:25 AM   #9
Calagari
Manshoon

Cary, I just finished DE it was not as hard as I thought it would be. I lost one party member but that was my own fault. She was caught in the web while the rest of the party was under heavy fire. It was a clear choice take out the priest or help Laurin. The priest won the toss and died. By that time poor Laurin was fading into the sunset. Luckily we had a raise the dead scroll to revive her. All hands left the DE with more respect than we had when we entered.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dancing Virginia:

Cary
Old 10-18-2004, 04:28 AM   #10
galdur
Dungeon Master

Dancing Virginia... you can have unlimited exp in Vale of Shadows in dialogue with Mythos (read my post in Unfair Tricks). But I think, you have killed him. [img]smile.gif[/img]
galdur is offline   Reply With Quote