Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2002, 01:56 AM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

so far, i have played bg, bg2, bg2ToB, Diablo, D2, D2LoD but not Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale or others(if there are any) are they better? i have heard some good things about planescape torment, but is it better that there are no elves, dwarfs and halflings?

oh yeah, i also wanted to ask, what are the bonuses that you get in end of SoA, i can remember the bonus: can only be hit by +1 or better

P.S. i`m very sorry if this post is on the absolute wrong place.
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 02:44 AM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Planescape: Tormment is my favority infinity game. In my opinion it has the best story of them all, the action was nice, the NPCs where awesome.

Plus, you can probably get it for 10$ now.

[ 03-02-2002: Message edited by: Luvian ]

Old 03-02-2002, 03:37 AM   #3
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

IWD is pretty well the opposite of Planscape.... Maximum hack n Slash minimum story... there still is a story but MUCH less than BG2 and nowhere near P:T's
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 06:56 AM   #4
J'aran
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by uss:
(...) i have heard some good things about planescape torment, but is it better that there are no elves, dwarfs and halflings? (...)

Not really better or worse, just different. And anyway, who needs Elves, Dwarves and Halflings when you can get Githzerai, Tieflings and Succubi, among other, even wierder characters, in your party? Believe me, PS:T is as much fun as BG, if not more so. As has been stated above, the story is superb, and the NPCs are very cool. Also, the entire atmosphere of the game is different than the other Infinity games, a lot more philosophical and gothic.

[ 03-02-2002: Message edited by: J'aran ]

J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 06:58 AM   #5
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Are Githzerai anything like Githyanki?? and also I gotta say I thought the main character was fixed as 'the nameless one'??
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 05:52 AM   #6
Servii
Elite Waterdeep Guard

There is something in PT...It is atmospFEAR. Some hopelessness and apocalyptic sense. Have you seen the works of Bosh?
And my favorite words for leveling up "In the name of Zartamon i've become stronger" you have to listen that.
Servii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 06:15 AM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Are Githzerai anything like Githyanki?? and also I gotta say I thought the main character was fixed as 'the nameless one'??

Githzerai and Githyanki came from the same race, and are now sworn ennemies.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:33 AM   #8
J'aran
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by Glorfindel:

Yes. As Luvian said, they once were of the same race, but grew apart, like Surface Elves and Drow. Githzerai are basically the neutral counterpart of the mostly evil Githyanki, if I am correct.

And yes, the main character is fixed as the Nameless One. You can choose his stats though, up to a certain hight, and you have some control over what class he is, so you still have some freedom in customizing the character that 'represents you' in the game.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 09:09 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

[img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img]

Oh well, interesting topic, anyway.

Githyanki - Living on the bodies of dead gods in the endless astral, the githyanki lead an odd existence of hunting parties and mental discipline. They blindly sacrifice their powerful members to an undead queen, and rarely leave the Astral except to hunt one of their enemies, the githzerai. The two would likely destroy each other on sight.

Githyanki are tall humanoids with rough yellow skin, varying in color from a bright yellow to a deep orange. Their eyes are deep-set into their skulls and a solid black, and their hair is usually black as well. Their ears are pointed, drooping slightly at the tips, and are sometimes marked with ridges and notches from githyanki cultural ceremonies. Clothing is an elaborate affair for the githyanki, who appreciate bright colors, abstract designs, and intricate jewellery, weapons, and armor.

Among their own kind, the githyanki are peaceful, polite, and respectful. One githyanki would never attack another -- at the very worst, githyanki can be a bit snobbish towards each other. Though githyanki society is a military one, with both women and men training to be wizards and warriors, they consider personal freedoms and independence highly important. The architecture of their floating Astral fortresses is ornate and baroque, and they even build large sailing-ships, with cone-shaped sails to catch the astral wind.

However, when it comes to other races, the githyanki are completely xenophobic. They hate virtually everything not githyanki, and delight in the conquest, torture, and destruction of all beings not of their race. Valueing their isolation in the Astral, unwary travellers can end up in the dead-book, just for wandering too close to a githyanki citadel.

Queen Vlaakith CLVII, the githyanki Revered Queen (known as the "Lich-Queen" to all others), rules over the githyanki race from her palace in the city of Tu'narath. The fact that their Queen happens to be a life-sucking undead being doesn't seem to worry the githyanki; to them, she is the closest thing to a god. The githyanki make the occasional ritual sacrifice to her, and her knights have a special, near-priestly, status.

Githzerai - Split off from the human race eons ago, the githzerai settled themselves on the plane of Limbo. They've perfected an art known as "chaos-shaping" which allows them to shape the chaosstuff of that plane. Elsewhere, they're found usually as societal outcasts, hunters, or merely explorers. They have more in common with their sister race, the githyanki, than either of them would care to admit.

The githzerai people are humanoid, with pale yellowish skin and pointed ears. Githzerai eyes are usually yellow or grey, and hair color is almost always black. Unusually tall and thin, githzerai often tend to be a bit more fragile than other races; however, they often live to be over 300 years old. Githzerai clothing tends to be drab, but practical.

Humorless and almost as unfriendly as the githyanki, the githzerai live in specially-constructed cities within the soupy mass of Limbo. Individuals known as Anarchs (not to be confused with the Anarchists) have the gift of being able to shape the formless matter of the plane into landscapes and even buildings; without the Anarchs, the githzerai cities would simply dissolve away into Limbo. Currently, their largest city, Shra'kt'lor, holds over 2 million people, a gigantic stronghold. Merchants and visitors are always welcome, but outsiders are always carefully scrutinized by the suspicious githzerai.

The githzerai's king, Zaerith Menyar-Ag-Gith, is said to be immortal. Under his direction, the githzerai plan raids on the both the githyanki and the illithids. King Zaerith also encourages something that the flamboyant githyanki would never consider; thievery. Reasoning that the skills of a common burglar are just as useful for infiltrating githyanki settlements, Zaerith has even gone so far as setting up a special place in the Floating City (the githzerai centre of magical training) to educate githzerai in the fine arts of stealth.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote