Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2004, 05:12 PM   #11
ScroogeMcDuck
Elite Waterdeep Guard

as posted above i already tried switching resolutions before starting the game....didnt work

this is really a hard one
ScroogeMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 06:14 AM   #12
Walks
Elite Waterdeep Guard

BSFTCS - Correct I was here in a previous life (Win 98) for hints. I found this site very useful.
I still haven't solved my XP problem yet so any more info would be a help.
Walks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:22 PM   #13
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Asking my standard question when tech tips go awry:

What version of DirectX are you using??

(Don't let my asking that question fool you into thinking I have any significant tech knowledge - I don't but I've seen DirectX be the source of the problem more than once)

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 04:39 PM   #14
ScroogeMcDuck
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Directx 9.0b...i think that is the newest available
Old 04-30-2004, 09:48 PM   #15
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Okay... did a little research on driver problems. For some reason, I suspect that's probably the culprit.

A couple of things to try:

1. Try reducing your resolution down to 600x480 (yes, you read correctly!). Felix at one time thought that was the default resolution the game was developed at, so it may be a good starting point. IOW, it's got the best chance at working there, right out of the gate.

2. Check the refresh rate on your monitor and make sure it's something reasonable, like 75 Mhz. Now, I'm not sure what unreasonable is, so hold off on that question for a bit.

3. Set your display to 16 bit color or less. That may have an impact.

4. If you do get, in, switch to software mode and lower all game controls to minimal levels.

5. A recent post by Willow references NVidia drivers at version 30.82 and 41.03. She also referenced 45.43, but hadn't seen it completely tested yet. Sometimes an older driver version can help... You might try that, too.

6. The exact error message you're getting may also help. I notice you mentioned that before, so now's probably a good time to find out what the exact problem is [img]smile.gif[/img]

Try that, and we'll see what's next [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 03:25 PM   #16
Walks
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have roughly the same spec as Scoorge McDuck apart from my nvidia driver is 5.6.6.4

I had problems with other games using driver 5.3.0.3 which was cured when I upgraded. Are there problems with DirectX 9.0b?

The error message I'm getting is:
Indeo Video Playback - The program you are trying to run requires a current Indeo Codec.
It advises me to go to http://indeo.ligos.com but when I went there it was a chargable download and the site states that there are no guantee that this will cure gaming issues.

I then get the error message:
The instruction at 00423dba referenced memory at 10060000. The memory could not be written.

Any other ideas?
Also where do I find the Virtural Dub program?
Walks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 09:57 PM   #17
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

No problems with DX 9.0B that I know of... and I'm running it (albeit on Win98).

There should be a link to virtualdub in the Tech Tips thread. If it's not behaving, let me know and I'll dig up another one.

The codecs thing is a common problem on XP. Bascially, MS got rid of some old codecs that used to be standards, so if you've got something that uses 'em, you're out of luck. Unless you v-dub them so you don't require a codec, that is...

Willow did come across another spot where you could get the old codecs that didn't charge. I'll look around and see if I can find it.

*edit* It's mentioned here, and in another thread, but no mention is made of the actual link.

Basically, the Ace Mega Codec Pack includes the CRAM codec, which is the missing one I mentioned above. And if you get it, you can install it and run the game without having to v-dub it.

A quick Google will hopefully turn up the Pack's whereabouts... and I may just do that in a bit.

Stay tuned...

*edit* typos...

[ 05-02-2004, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Old 05-03-2004, 12:35 PM   #18
ScroogeMcDuck
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Okay... did a little research on driver problems. For some reason, I suspect that's probably the culprit.

A couple of things to try:

1. Try reducing your resolution down to 600x480 (yes, you read correctly!). Felix at one time thought that was the default resolution the game was developed at, so it may be a good starting point. IOW, it's got the best chance at working there, right out of the gate.

2. Check the refresh rate on your monitor and make sure it's something reasonable, like 75 Mhz. Now, I'm not sure what unreasonable is, so hold off on that question for a bit.

3. Set your display to 16 bit color or less. That may have an impact.

4. If you do get, in, switch to software mode and lower all game controls to minimal levels.

5. A recent post by Willow references NVidia drivers at version 30.82 and 41.03. She also referenced 45.43, but hadn't seen it completely tested yet. Sometimes an older driver version can help... You might try that, too.

6. The exact error message you're getting may also help. I notice you mentioned that before, so now's probably a good time to find out what the exact problem is [img]smile.gif[/img]

Try that, and we'll see what's next [img]smile.gif[/img]
1. You mean 640x480....hmm cant do that as the lowest resolution my TFT supports in the window setup is 800x600, he can display 640x480 when it is desired by an application but i cant set it on my own.
When i start the game the tft switches to 640x480 before it crashes so this schouldnt be the problem i think

2. as it is a TFT it is always 60 MHz cant do anything there either

3. didnt helped

4. well first i have to get in

5. i cleared my old drivers this weekend and switched to 56.72 but this didnt worked either. As soon as i have time ill try to use one of the older drivers, ill post an update if i find anything.

this message comes in a window MessageBox displaying the following

Application Error: C:\Spiele\WizardsWarriors\deep6.exe
The instruction at 00423dba referenced memory at 025a1000
The memory could not be written

after i click ok another box opens stating another text

Deep6.exe: deep6.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x00423dba referenced memory at "0x025a1000"
The memory could not be written
Old 05-15-2004, 02:41 PM   #19
Sharde
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Walks,

I recenlty started again after a couple of years, now running on XP... You do have to go to that Ligos site and download that video driver...

It does work, at least on my computer. You still have to do the Virtualdub fix, and I am still having some sparatic problems with certain things.

The Ligos driver does get the game working though.

Sharde
Old 05-15-2004, 09:48 PM   #20
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Sorry, Scrooge. I missed your response on this, and haven't gotten back to you. Sharde, thanks for bringing it to my attention

Okay, can you get into the game settings? Start the game, go to Valeia, but don't load your party. Instead, go into the game controls and drop everything down -- video to software mode, everything else to minimum settings. That can sometimes help things out...

My guess is it's going to be a video driver problem, and I'm going to have to drop Willow a line to get her input into it. While she's not all-knowing, she plays being all-knowing in real life [img]smile.gif[/img]

Try that while I scramble, if you will, and we'll see what we can do.
-+-+-+