Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2003, 09:58 AM   #11
Legolas
Jack Burton

And there, Aragorn, is the source of the problem. People are tricked into thinking it is shameful for a man to use cosmetics or wear certain kinds of clothing such as the aforementioned kilt. Sadly, this notion is rather persistent and it is this which motivates people to look down on those who choose to go for what they want, rather than what others think they should want. By disrespecting those heroes who openly show their dislike of the current situation and keep insisting what they do is wrong, the tyranny is enforced.
One other common misconception is that men wear such clothes or use cosmetics to appear more feminine (also occasionally refered to as drag). Although this may indeed be true in some cases, it is not the purpose of such actions. The reason it is view as such is because it goes against the stereotype which is being enforced. I should state at this point that I have no problems with those who do wear clothes or cosmetics usually associated with women to appear a female, other than the fact that our society's inability to truely appreciate these people also puts other forefighters in a 'bad' light. This problem lies not with these free minds, but rather with those who stubbornly stick to what they have been told and see it as the sole truth.

It is not our goal to liberate those already using cosmetics or wearing sarongs, they had the strength and will to liberate themselves. We seek not to free those who posess the strength to free themselves but fail to do so because they prefer trousers to kilts, for it is a personal choice. We seek to have those who do not believe there should be a choice realise their views are incorrect and selfish (although there are, of course, exceptions).
You do not have to wear lipstick to fight the cosmetics tyranny. If we would force you to use nailpolish we'd be starting a tyranny of our own, and that would be plain wrong. We want to help the poor misguided souls, and we want to do so by offering them [img]graemlins/braveheart.gif[/img]

[ 01-31-2003, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Old 01-31-2003, 10:05 AM   #12
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
quote:
Originally posted by Ar-Cunin:
Not even if you threatened to put me into a barrel full of rattlesnakes [img]tongue.gif[/img]
LOL, if wearing cosmetics is your goal, out of here, I'll have to roll. Why on earth would you want to do that? Right now, men have it the best we have ever had it. We don't have to wear ties or hats, unless we want to, I wear a suit twice a year, maybe, and girls walk around practically naked. I like it like it is. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Remember the days of Robin Hood ? Boy am i glad that kinda fashion is gone. Picture yourself running around in a pair of tights.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:08 AM   #13
Legolas
Jack Burton

Ah, yes Johnny. And that is why we have no desire to go back to the past. However, men should be free to wear tights and not be laughed at if they do so prefer. I'll be having my weekend now, but then I'll be back to make sure you all aren't trying to cover up this thread for freedom
Old 01-31-2003, 10:09 AM   #14
Melusine
Dracolisk

I used to go to Goth parties sometimes so I know some men who wear make-up - even used to lend out my black nail polish to a male friend [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I don't have a problem with it and I don't see why anyone else should, either. A guy who dresses up in drag and women's clothes looks ridiculous in my own opinion, doesn't mean I think he shouldn't be allowed to dress that way. And wearing make-up doesn't necessarily equate wearing drag or looking feminine either. When I was 15 I thought Dani from C.O.F was sexy as hell, ROTFL!!
Still think a kilt is sexy, anyway. I wish my boyfriend (studying in Scotland at the moment) would wear one.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:14 AM   #15
Borvik
Drow Warrior

I was forced by my grandmother to wear tights (ok, I was a boy and it's been in winter). At least I've been allowed to wear trousers above of them...
As for the make-up thing: I reserve the right giving you odd looks as soon as you are using colours not according to your type! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2003, 10:19 AM   #16
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Borvik:
I reserve the right giving you odd looks as soon as you are using colours not according to your type! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
LMAO!!! Yeah, if a Winter guy would wear Spring colours for make-up, now THAT would look ridiculous

BTW - I don't think most guys who use cosmetics use them like a woman would (apart from drag queens that is). I mean, my own boyfriend has some skin cream he uses after he's showered, because he has dry skin. Doesn't mean he would want to be seen dead wearing my lipstick, LOL. He's also got long hair so he needs to use conditioner, I don't think that's unmasculine or something silly like that - the only people who think that must be latent gays [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Most of the men I've seen using real make-up just wore a bit of eyeliner, they don't make up their faces like a girl would. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh another thing... anyone in the cosmetics business will tell you that there is a noticable trend of cosmetics for men: shaving creams and after shaves used to just smell good, but now they "hydrate the skin and leave you feeling fresh and smooth". There is more choice in those products, as well as in deodorants, skin creams and perfumes. Where I live, there are quite a lot of hair dye products that have a man, or both a man and a woman, depicted on the cover.

[ 01-31-2003, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 01-31-2003, 10:58 AM   #17
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
quote:
Originally posted by Ar-Cunin:
Not even if you threatened to put me into a barrel full of rattlesnakes [img]tongue.gif[/img]
LOL, if wearing cosmetics is your goal, out of here, I'll have to roll. Why on earth would you want to do that? Right now, men have it the best we have ever had it. We don't have to wear ties or hats, unless we want to, I wear a suit twice a year, maybe, and girls walk around practically naked. I like it like it is. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Yes, yes, yes and yes. But things are changing. Every time one of us slips up and agrees to run to the grocery story, every time one of us makes dinner, we lose a little something of ourselves. C'mon guys - please do not so openly expose our flaws. It's quite hard enough trying to just deal with the emotional aspects of these gorgeous creatures, can you believe what the world will come to if we keep pointing out the extent of the lengths they go through that we don't??

As for cosmetics, what counts? Something to keep your fever blister away? Plucking your unibrow? Surely not aftershave.

Anyway, if you mean cosmetics, the only thing that will make me wear them (other than stage acting - which I've done) is to get all the women in the world together and have them threaten, in unison, to stop wearing make-up if I don't start wearing make-up.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:20 AM   #18
Mojo
Elminster

[quote]Originally posted by Melusine:
Quote:
Originally posted by Borvik:
[qb]Where I live, there are quite a lot of hair dye products that have a man, or both a man and a woman, depicted on the cover.
That's as maybe, but all the hair dye products I've seen with men on them are designed to cover grey. Every single one. I havn't got grey hair, I don't want to look younger, I merely want an interesting colour in my hair...
Old 01-31-2003, 11:54 AM   #19
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Just wanted to link a related thread:

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...;f=10;t=013774
Old 01-31-2003, 12:28 PM   #20
Mojo
Elminster

Related? The issue here is not homosexuality, my friend.

I'd like to state, for the record, that I havn't worn any makeup for quite a while, what with one thing and another, interviews and such, and if my application is successfull then I won't be wearing makeup for at least another 9 years. *However*, I'm still campaigning for the right. I would go into more detail but Legolas can put it all so much more eloquently than me.

And I'm not gay, either.