Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2003, 08:01 AM   #1
Grojlach
Zartan

Nude protest held in Central Park

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Protesters are trying a nude way to stir interest in the anti-war movement.
When U.S. demonstrators hit the streets to rally against a a military conflict in Iraq, they often grumble that too few Americans take notice.
So one group opted for an eye-catching alternative.
Just after dawn on Friday, roughly 30 women scurried into the heart of Central Park, splitting up into groups to avoid arousing police suspicion. Once they reached their destination, the Bethesda Fountain, they displayed their deep misgivings about war by disrobing amid a steady snowfall.
Lying down in shivering temperatures, the group of women -- students, executives and artists among them -- used their stark naked bodies to spell out the words "No Bush."
"I have never done anything remotely like this before, but I think it's incredibly cool," said Elizabeth Lorris Ritter, a 40-year-old activist housewife. "We're totally vulnerable out here, yet we're making a wonderful statement."
It didn't take long for a flock of nude women to attract attention. Central Park workers scrambled to break up the gathering, but by the time they arrived, the women were fully clothed.

'People don't realize it's about to happen'
Women have staged similar nude protests in this country, as well as in Europe and South Africa in recent months, said the event's organizer, Wendy Tremayne.
The women said they are frustrated that too many Americans have passively accepted war with Iraq as inevitable and unavoidable.
"Part of it is apathy," said Kate Heim, 25. "The other part is that people don't realize it's about to happen. It doesn't seem real."
Tremayne expressed disgust with what what she called a high-handed, go-it-alone U.S. approach in foreign policy.
"For me, it's been a growing embarrassment about being American that started before Bush," Tremayne said. "This event derives from the belief that people can do things, that people still care and can make a difference."

Source: CNN
Old 02-08-2003, 08:49 AM   #2
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I LIKE their style! There is entirely not enough nudity making headlines these days!

And hey:
Quote:

Women have staged similar nude protests in this country, as well as in Europe and South Africa in recent months, said the event's organizer, Wendy Tremayne.

If these trends continue....AYE!!!!
You can always count on women to bring some element of lovin' back to politics. God bless 'em. Every one!
Old 02-08-2003, 09:38 AM   #3
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

...Why? What is the connection between war and nudity? Ive no problem with protests..But at least they should make sence..

'go-it-alone U.S. approach in foreign policy.'

EH?!? ..nevermind. Well all I can say is it does seem real to me, and at first a believed it was avoidable, if the Iraqis complied, but now..Nah, I dont think its avoidable.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Iron_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 10:36 AM   #4
MagiK

If girls want to get nekkid, Im all for it. Let them [img]smile.gif[/img] won't change anything war wise but hey, might make central park a nicer place to be

Edit: What? CNN doesn't have any photographers? Where's the piccies????

[ 02-08-2003, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]
Old 02-08-2003, 04:43 PM   #5
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
...Why? What is the connection between war and nudity? Ive no problem with protests..But at least they should make sence..
*cough* Ahh, I think it is the connection between 'Bush' and nudity... [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2003, 07:30 PM   #6
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
*cough* Ahh, I think it is the connection between 'Bush' and nudity... [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Heh heh. Yeah, guess there must've been alot of shaven havens in Central Park that day

...sorry.
[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2003, 11:20 PM   #7
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Quote:
Heh heh. Yeah, guess there must've been alot of shaven havens in Central Park that day

...sorry.
[img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2003, 01:25 AM   #8
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
*cough* Ahh, I think it is the connection between 'Bush' and nudity... [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]I see from the front page of my paper there was an Australian nekkid protest as well - are you still on holidays Aelia [img]smile.gif[/img] - have you been travelling about at all ?
Old 02-09-2003, 02:54 PM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Why wasn't i informed about this ? After all, nude is my middle name.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:21 PM   #10
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
I see from the front page of my paper there was an Australian nekkid protest as well - are you still on holidays Aelia [img]smile.gif[/img] - have you been travelling about at all ?
LOL [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Got your fridge magnet yet?