Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-21-2001, 04:20 PM   #21
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Thanks for the input Neb

I still think people have missed the thing I was really rtrying to get at. If you as a person are totally against violence against living creatures, how then can you revel in and enjoy CRPG's or other computer games in which it is nesecary to go out and slaughter loads of virtual creatures. If you are against violence, would you not also be against the glorification of it in our recreation?

The answers you are getting are consistent. Fantasy is Fantasy and Reality is Reality. What are you not getting here that you are asking for?

What I don't get is how a person who abhors violence can find enjoyment in games that are in large part based on it.

I am willing to admit that maybe I am the only one around who minds apparent incosistancies is all, its not really a big deal. I was just curious and now that it is officially weekend for me, Im off to hit the trails and take some pics.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-21-2001, 04:39 PM   #22
Absynthe

Quote:

What I don't get is how a person who abhors violence can find enjoyment in games that are in large part based on it.

I am willing to admit that maybe I am the only one around who minds apparent incosistancies is all, its not really a big deal. I was just curious and now that it is officially weekend for me, Im off to hit the trails and take some pics.

OK. I'm not understanding what you are regarding as inconsistent. By your apparent argument, we could also equate assasination, euthanasia, war, and capital punishment. They're all just ways to kill, aren't they? Do you hold the same view on each?

------------------

Old 09-21-2001, 05:09 PM   #23
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
What animals are you referring to here? (Think this might be a case of different terminology) In the UK, calves are the progeny of cows and bulls. What does the word calf refer to in the US?

Yes my refrence to Claf was a baby cow.

As for your other post I have a joke: (no offence, just reminded me of it)

A man took a vegatarian out to eat one night, the man ordered a steak and the vegatarain ordered a salad.

The man said "We are all ganna die anyway, no mater what you eat, and then when you get to heaven God is going to ask you why you ate grass instead of all that meat I gave you!"

But your probley not a Christain are you?

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Messenger of the Emerald Dragon

May a pregnant yak chew on your ear for all eternity.
Old 09-21-2001, 06:45 PM   #24
G'kar

The shadow aspect of the human psyche. In a repressed state, one is ignorant of their own fear and violence, and unable to control the impulse to act upon them.
Embracing the shadow, and simulating those primal instincts to kill and hurt allows for a release and self-awarness to what is hidden to most people of conscious.

I am a pacifist, and I have avidly engaged in crpg/pnp roleplaying games for many years. I have played peaceful negoiators, vengful murders, crazed rapists, and warriors of justice who only take life if it is the last resort. A full range of human characteristics is available to expirience, with no harm done to another. A clean conscious.

I think avoiding "violence" in a game, for me, would be like avoiding a crucial, yet misunderstood part of myself. In the light of self-knowledge, a purposful release of my violent tendecies seems wiser than denial or repression.

Besides, crpgs usually portray "fantasic" elements, that are more akin to dreams/nightmares than real life. The games that are graphically "realistic" ie. Involve a first person view of killing another human being for amusement, I tend to take in moderation, though I dont rule them out entirely for the reasons I stated before... After all I am an adult, with a firm grasp on reality.

[This message has been edited by G'kar (edited 09-21-2001).]

Old 09-21-2001, 06:58 PM   #25
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:

I am very anti-anti hunting. Meaning that I hunt often.

Do any of you know what would happen if you let 2000 calfs run wild? If you did you would not be for anti-hunting/Anti-meat eating and all that otehr anti stuff.

Grand-Ranger, there is a difference between killing cows for meat and killing wild animals for the sake of killing. Who has suggested letting calves run wild? People who are anti-hunting object to the fact that hunters go out with guns and jeeps etc to kill wild animals for the sake of recreation or for money (eg ivory), not because they need to (eg food).

------------------

Goddess and Sorceress of the HADB, and her sidekick Pink
Old 09-21-2001, 07:10 PM   #26
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
Grand-Ranger, there is a difference between killing cows for meat and killing wild animals for the sake of killing. Who has suggested letting calves run wild? People who are anti-hunting object to the fact that hunters go out with guns and jeeps etc to kill wild animals for the sake of recreation or for money (eg ivory), not because they need to (eg food).

Well tell me if I am wrong but Killing is Killing.

I dont think people who are agaisnt hunting would be for killing cows either.

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Messenger of the Emerald Dragon

May a pregnant yak chew on your ear for all eternity.
Old 09-21-2001, 07:18 PM   #27
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Yes my refrence to Claf was a baby cow.

As for your other post I have a joke: (no offence, just reminded me of it)

A man took a vegatarian out to eat one night, the man ordered a steak and the vegatarain ordered a salad.

The man said "We are all ganna die anyway, no mater what you eat, and then when you get to heaven God is going to ask you why you ate grass instead of all that meat I gave you!"

But your probley not a Christain are you?

Grand Ranger - I don't understand what you mean about letting 2000 calfs run wild? (Puzzled!) What has that got to do with hunting??

Am I a Christian? Er, no, I definitely am not! However, I do have a spirituality, which is a source of great strength and joy to me. (She perches on my shoulder, when things get tough, she hides in my rucksack. When things get really really bad, I tuck her in my bra for safe keeping.)

I don't particularly go for Christianity for the same reasons as I don't go for any other religion - don't like dogma, don't like being told what to do, and I don't see how anybody else's version of god is gonna be any truer than the one I come up with myself. Cos basically, no-one really knows! All the holy books validate themselves....

So, there you go! You were quite right.

------------------
Old 09-21-2001, 07:23 PM   #28
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Well tell me if I am wrong but Killing is Killing.

I dont think people who are agaisnt hunting would be for killing cows either.

Well I am against hunting but I eat meat. In this case killing is not killing IMO. As I said, there is a difference between killing for the sake of recreation and killing for food. Hunting, in the sense that you kill an animal because that's you way of life and use it for survival, like some African groups etc, is different to some executive going out with his rifle to bag a trophy and feel like a big man, and different to people killing elephants etc for their ivory and leaving the carcuses behind because they're not useful (i.e. can't give them any money) to them. Farming animals for the purpose of providing food is different again, though I do think that many abetoirs could kill the livestock more humanely.

------------------

Goddess and Sorceress of the HADB, and her sidekick Pink
Old 09-21-2001, 07:37 PM   #29
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
Well I am against hunting but I eat meat. In this case killing is not killing IMO. As I said, there is a difference between killing for the sake of recreation and killing for food. Hunting, in the sense that you kill an animal because that's you way of life and use it for survival, like some African groups etc, is different to some executive going out with his rifle to bag a trophy and feel like a big man, and different to people killing elephants etc for their ivory and leaving the carcuses behind because they're not useful (i.e. can't give them any money) to them. Farming animals for the purpose of providing food is different again, though I do think that many abetoirs could kill the livestock more humanely.

I must say, I beg leave to differ. The way animals are farmed in the developed world, is, as I said before, totally inhumane and disgusting. I don't like hunting, but in many cases, bad as it is, I would prefer it to the intensive farming that produces the food people routinely buy in their supermarkets. An animal that is hunted at least has the chance to live a large part of its life in the open, in freedom. Many animals that are intensively farmed never get such an opportunity. Do you know anything about the poultry industry? The sheep farming industry? The dairy industry? The pig farming industry? It's not pretty, I can assure you.

The intensive way that we farm animals is very bad for the environment. In addition, it makes no economic sense whatsoever when it comes to feeding the world.

------------------
Old 09-21-2001, 07:39 PM   #30
Lord Shield

Quote:
You missed the point of the question. How can you be anti-violence and yet revel in its virtual glorification in a recreational game? Are you not promoting in some fashion that which you stand against? This is a question about concepts and consistant messages. Not a debate of real vs fantasy.

But thanks for the input any way

I could care less about violent glorification in a game - if I liked that, I'd play lots of FPSs such as Blood. I see BG2 as a tactical thing. Something with twists and storyline. As far as bopping beasties go, I don't rate it one way or another. As it's not real I don't see it as glorifying anything other than the game genre

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
Lord Raptor's Site