Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-12-2001, 02:13 PM   #11
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Throntar:
We have always thought ourselves impregnable to terrorism. It has been shown in the last couple of years that this is not the case.
Well I am an American, living in America and I have never thought us invulnerable to terrorism. This country makes it too easy for foreigners to come here...they give them housing, educations and money to live on when they arrive! That is not to say that all foreigners are bad or bad for our country, but many with bad intentions can slip through unnoticed under the pretense that they are here to become citizens.
Then you have your own radical American groups who can learn how to create devastating weapons of destruction in our public libraries!
We opened the door for people to commit blatent radical atrocities against our country a long time ago. Its past time that we slam that door shut. Long past time.

I don't think that the majority of Americans put our country above any other as to the worth of its people (with the exception of a few middle east haters who have shown their disregard for middle-eastern lives in this forum for the last couple of days) but I could be wrong by believing in the best in all common people, that people world-wide have respect for everyone on the planet.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-12-2001, 02:36 PM   #12
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Its horrible indeed,
but its also very strange.
If terrorists blow up a tower its a crime against humanity.
But wen we blew up German citys with our so called *terror bombardments* in 1945 killing tens of thousands or maybe even more, it was called a heroic act.
Now dont get me wrong, i think its a terrible thing and hope that Bin Laden rots in hell but we should keep in mind that to these people it IS war just as it was to us back then and they will go straight to heaven for there *noble* deeds, or so they think.

You do not really equate actions during a WORLD WAR as equivelent to a sneak attack perpetrated against ONLY civilains (WTC not the Pentagon)??

I dislike some of the things that were done in WWII but then again I wasnt standing next to my friends as Nazi machineguns tore them apart either...nor was I in the concentration camps....And as for what the US and Brittain did in winning that War, you DO NOT want to compare us to what the Soviets were doing on the other German front.

Do not mix a world war into the same catagory as terrorism they are NOT the same.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-12-2001, 02:39 PM   #13
MagiK

Oh and by the way while it has NOT been proven yet exactly who funded this operation it HAS been proven that there are DEFINATE links to the middle east, not the least of which is Osama Bin Ladden's on promise that he WOULD take action soon against the USA only 3 weeks ago.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-12-2001, 02:41 PM   #14
Sorcerer Alex

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Moni:
[B] This country makes it too easy for foreigners to come here...they give them housing, educations and money to live on when they arrive! That is not to say that all foreigners are bad or bad for our country, but many with bad intentions can slip through unnoticed under the pretense that they are here to become citizens.

This worries me because I'm hoping to study in the US next year. After that I'd like to make it my home. I hope they'll let me in all right. I'm notta terrorist

Old 09-12-2001, 02:42 PM   #15
Istaron
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Istaron they have been killing each other for hundreds of years in the middle east. That has nothing to do with what the USA will decide to do about the attacks.

Well, not only "normal" war, but many things that happens there is similar to what hitler did... concentration AND raping-camps.

And as someone else said, the arabians think they have done something RIGHT, cause they believe there is a war going on...

And how come my headmaster held a speach in school about twin towers, but not about cosovo?

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen

[This message has been edited by Istaron (edited 09-12-2001).]
Old 09-12-2001, 02:55 PM   #16
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

I think it is patently obvious that most Americans seem to value American lives more than those of people of other countries.

It is patently obvious that most Americans care a good deal more about terrorist threats to the US than to other countries.

The same could probably be said of the attitudes of most other countries in the world. It is common to value the people closest to you more (and I mean this as much in personal and cultural senses as physical) than people further away.

I don't see any point in denying this basic truth.
Old 09-12-2001, 03:00 PM   #17
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
I think it is patently obvious that most Americans seem to value American lives more than those of people of other countries.

It is patently obvious that most Americans care a good deal more about terrorist threats to the US than to other countries.

The same could probably be said of the attitudes of most other countries in the world. It is common to value the people closest to you more (and I mean this as much in personal and cultural senses as physical) than people further away.

I don't see any point in denying this basic truth.
Not all who are sickened by this are Americans Dio. Death of innocents is death of innocents. This has been covered live the world over.
The world was/is horrified by the genocide of the Jews, the events in Bosnia, Northern Ireland and Israel, Chile, Cambodia and the like. Tragedy is tragedy. The difference with this is the number of lives lost in but a few hours. Surely only Nagasaki and Hiroshima are worse.

Also we have the economic chaos. This is the economic capital of the world. This affects the whole world and creates confusion and anxiety in far corners.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-12-2001, 03:06 PM   #18
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Not all who are sickened by this are Americans Dio. Death of innocents is death of innocents. This has been covered live the world over.
The world was/is horrified by the genocide of the Jews, the events in Bosnia, Northern Ireland and Israel, Chile, Cambodia and the like. Tragedy is tragedy.
Sure. I agree for the most part. Your statement does not negate the truth of the point I was making, however.

Hell, most Americans don't know a thing about the events in Chile and Cambodia to which you refer, for example. They don't know because they don't really give a damn. Those are just far away events which have no real bearing on events in the US, in such minds. Sad but true.

[This message has been edited by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown (edited 09-12-2001).]
Old 09-12-2001, 03:10 PM   #19
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Sure. I agree. Your statement does not negate the truth of the point I was making.
Sure, but the death of a family member impacts an individual far greater than a faceless individual from across the world. The less distance, the greater the pain

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-12-2001, 03:13 PM   #20
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

Sure, but the death of a family member impacts an individual far greater than a faceless individual from across the world. The less distance, the greater the pain

[/QUOTE]

Ack. I should edit less often. That is the second time today someone has responded immediately while I was in the process of editing my post

[This message has been edited by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown (edited 09-12-2001).]