Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-23-2001, 12:16 AM   #1
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

ok, i just bought 14 games, but they are all dos based, and wont run on my comp for some odd reason. so they are up for grabs, no charge, ill even pay the shipping costs. just my gift to fellow adventurers. they are all forgotten realms, on two disks. game include-Gateway of the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, Hillsfar, Blood & Magic, Menzoberranzan, Dungeon Hack, Eye of the Beholder, Eye of the Beholder 2&3, Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Asure Bonds, Pools of Darkness, and Secret of the Silver Blades. they are suposed to be really good early D&D games. the first response that i get as far as who wants them, they are yours, free.

------------------
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine
Old 11-22-2001, 05:13 PM   #2
Derrus2002
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would love to have it my addresss:
19 Turpin Way
United kingdom
England
Chippenham
sn14 0uf
Old 11-22-2001, 05:57 PM   #3
Tabitha Silverwill
Dungeon Master

Shouldn't that actually read

19 Turpin Way
Chippenham
Wiltshire
United Kingdom
SN14 0UF

Or were you so excited by the thought of free games that your fingers went off and did their own thing?
Old 11-22-2001, 06:15 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

dos games wont run on a new machine? how odd ... not!

the problem will be..
well actualy the problem could be one of the following:

new cpus run about 10000 times faster than the 386 most of these things were designed for. therefore in some cases a timing routine will loop about 1000 times and use the time it took to work out how fast its going - except that new cpus are so fast that it read as 0 microseconds. and division by zero dosent work. at all.

memory. now dont go rediculous, ive got x hundred megs of ram, im talking about base memory here. or the bottom 640k that was all these progs could access. you have to optimise your low mem usage to let these thing run - and i aint explaining it all here. go to one of the techy sites and look it up.

windows. is evil, 100% pure evil - esp to those games that cant use direct x. use pure dos instead.

and thats even without setting up your soundcard so these things can access it - some will run without one, some insist - and ive seen some that insist on having a floppy to save on - from the old days when hard drives were small, slow and unreliable.

there is hope however. the old eye of the beholder series runs fine on a new machine (cept its bloody hard). at least it does on mine. you can get it from www.theunderdogs.com if you dont mind a little illegal(ish) downloading.

i dunno about the other specific games you mnetion - but i'll give you any money i can run them on your machine, if it wasnt x hundred miles away.

the best thing would probly to actualy get an old dos machine - go for a 386/486 and you should be fine. late 486 and pentiums tend to have windows installed on them, although the driver situation tends not to be as bad as the current machines.

i mention all this not to deny derrus a chance to get all of morgan games- but because these probs are kinda universal.

i didnt think anyone was selling unpateched versions of these any more. if there isnt already a win95 version then you _might_ be able to get the orignal company to help out. alternatively email the game to me and ill see what i can do - no gaurantees since i dont have your actual machine to tinker with, but ill try and see what works.
Old 11-23-2001, 09:29 AM   #5
Keylow
Manshoon

Ya know where you can find a lot of good older games?
The RPG section alone is pretty huge.

At: http://www.theunderdogs.org

These guys have multiple truckloads of games all ready for downloading!

*** Do!! didn't read Anderwas's post that well... But I think it's .org and not .com **
Old 11-23-2001, 07:02 PM   #6
andrewas
Harper

keylow is correct. it is www.theunderdogs.org and not .com. sorry to anyone who got lost. it happens when you quote a bookmarked url from memory.

brilliant site tho.
Old 11-23-2001, 09:56 PM   #7
Kingenigma
The Magister

quote:
Originally posted by Keylow:
Ya know where you can find a lot of good older games?
The RPG section alone is pretty huge.

At: http://www.theunderdogs.org

These guys have multiple truckloads of games all ready for downloading!

*** Do!! didn't read Anderwas's post that well... But I think it's .org and not .com **

Is it just demos or the full games?
Old 11-24-2001, 04:54 AM   #8
Caine
Elminster

Full Games And They Arent Too Big,I'v Only Downloaded The Eye Of The Beholder series so far though, A worthy download is daggerfall (full version) but that is a LARGE download.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:36 AM   #9
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

Can I have pool of radience please?

Barb
Landabethick
Bodmin
U.K
Pl30 4QZ