Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2001, 04:39 AM   #11
Kellin da Mage
Dungeon Master

A vorpal weapon is amonst the most feared items of D&D. On an attack roll of 17+ (on a D20)the target is dead, that's it dead. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 gold. Or something like that. Technaly is the sharpest object in the known world (kinda like a Lightsaber only matallic). Adaminatiam is said to be able to parry it, thought DM's may vary. In BGII I think it has a percentage chance of killing whatever hit hits and it's also a +5 weapon. Less I miss my guess right it's the Silver Sword the Githyanki are looking for. My advice give it to them, you can always get a new sword.

Githyanki and Githzerai don't get along becuse they were once the same race, and slaves to the Mind Flayers. The Gith broke a few free and they were sent to differant planes and slowely have changed over the years with the influence of the planes they now reside in. Now they are Poler Halves of each other hateing what the other one is because they can still see the other in themselves.

Or if you prefer, Everyone has to have a hobbie, so killing eachother is just a fun thing to do on a Saturday night.
Old 03-12-2001, 06:08 AM   #12
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kellin da Mage:
A vorpal weapon is amonst the most feared items of D&D. On an attack roll of 17+ (on a D20)the target is dead, that's it dead. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 gold. Or something like that. Technaly is the sharpest object in the known world (kinda like a Lightsaber only matallic). Adaminatiam is said to be able to parry it, thought DM's may vary. In BGII I think it has a percentage chance of killing whatever hit hits and it's also a +5 weapon. Less I miss my guess right it's the Silver Sword the Githyanki are looking for. My advice give it to them, you can always get a new sword.

Githyanki and Githzerai don't get along becuse they were once the same race, and slaves to the Mind Flayers. The Gith broke a few free and they were sent to differant planes and slowely have changed over the years with the influence of the planes they now reside in. Now they are Poler Halves of each other hateing what the other one is because they can still see the other in themselves.

Or if you prefer, Everyone has to have a hobbie, so killing eachother is just a fun thing to do on a Saturday night.
To add to what Kellin said, a Sword of Sharpness has a chance of cutting off a limb on a specific die roll (+17/20 normally). A Vorpal weapon goes further, allowing you to decapitate (cut off someone's head) on a specific die roll (in BG2 this is a 25% chance if the victim fails a saving throw vs. death).

In PnP this would only work against enemies that actually have heads that can be cut off, but they modified this slightly in BG.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-12-2001, 06:11 AM   #13
dafan

Impre4ssive reading

------------------
My strength and honor
for king and country
Old 03-12-2001, 09:46 PM   #14
Jimbo
The Magister

Hey Memnoch, can you post the information on the vorpal and sword of sharpness? I thought that Vorpals were for LG alignment only, and the sword of sharpness was for CG? Thanks again.

------------------
Drink and be merry http://www.tgeweb.com/images/forum/icons/beerchug.gif
Jimbo http://www.tgeweb.com/images/forum/icons/ninja1.gif
Rebel, and Rogue"