Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 02:53 AM   #1
dragon2005
The Magister

I think there is a really important issue we did not discussed in the board:
Why there are so many bugs in the game!!!

any one who have important information on this subject please post it here.
dragon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 08:18 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

This is well known - W&W was rushed to market.

Many things that had been planned to be included in the game end up being omitted in order to get the game onto the market. Notably among the missing elements is the lack of consequences for player actions when they violate the oath they take in the crypt. There is a sound or text file (still included with the game) which indicates that it was planned that the Mavin would destroy (or harm) the characters who broke their oath.

They simply ran out of money and had to get the game on the market. To their credit none of the bugs are "game stoppers" and they independantly produced a patch (it is not an authorized Activsion patch).

As a side note, many of the bugs seem to be related to hardware issues rather than the game itself. I had an almost no problems/bugs when playing on my old Win98 machine. The only 2 bugs I can recall are the Vampire Ring bug which wasn't that important since I never really wanted to do that whole thing and not having all 3 glowstones in Collasium. There is an easier fix to the latter problem than the one I used - I learned to hack items for the game.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 08:35 AM   #3
dragon2005
The Magister

say wyv ( is it o.k. to coll you that?)
do you know all the bugs?
Old 11-29-2004, 08:42 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Most certainly it is fine to call me "Wyv"

I know a lot of the bugs - primarily from moderating this board since the dawn of time rather than from first hand experience. I wouldn't want to take a pop quiz to see if I remembered them all!

As I mentioned, the game ran pretty trouble free on my own machine. So much so that sometimes when a player was stuck they would send me a copy of their saved game and I would get them past the "sticky bit"(bug) and send it back to them. (no, I cannot do that now - I don't even have the game loaded on my new(er) computer)

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 08:49 AM   #5
dragon2005
The Magister

just from curiosity.

how many times did you fineshed the game.
are there many wase to finish it and the choose pathe in the crypt (the warrior or the wizard)
is for all the game or just for the crypt?
Old 11-29-2004, 10:26 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I've played the game probably a half-dozen times. After your first party, you can start playing "boutique" games, where you're trying just a particular type of party. IOW, it's about the character makeup, and not the game play.

So far, I've done a solo warrior, solo zenmaster, and den of thieves (six rogues) as boutique games. Each one presented its own challenges: solo warrior (Missy Hissy) had very little magic at the start, while the Den of Thieves had no magic until one made assassin. Even the solo zenmaster, Lady Tigra, had a challenge: boredom [img]smile.gif[/img] I mean, you walk to the crypt and everything it throws at you can be slain in one sword strike... it gets boring. Until you get to the salads, that is...

Remember that this game is four years old, and it was rushed to market. I'd love for someone to republish it, officially fixed up for Win2k/XP and with the bugs fixed. Perhaps that will happen in another couple of years... or perhaps not. We'll see... [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 01:58 PM   #7
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Almost all bugs - good or bad - should be covered in Stackman's Adventures. So I suggest you read there. It is a spoilish affair, though.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:24 PM   #8
dragon2005
The Magister

well i think that when i will finish the game i won't play again becous it is to long and there are no more surprises.

i do want to know if the path of the warrior or the path of the wizard ( you disaed in the crypt) efacts on all the game or just the crypt.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:49 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

There's no real difference between the two paths (although you get some nice plate mail in the Warrior's path). And in fact, you can go through both paths, if you'd like. The secrets are covered in Best Tips, as well as in both Stackman's Adventures and those of Missy Hissy, the solo warrior.

As for the game not having any more surprises... well, I can tell you that I still find new things about this game, even as often as I've played it. The challenge comes in playing as a new character, or a new combination of characters. I believe Willow once had a party of all Zenmasters...

There are some secret areas (like the Belfry in the Serpent Temple), so if you haven't seen those, they're worth a trip. You can also try your second game using your new Zenmaster and see how quickly you can complete the game -- I believe the record is around 39 minutes from Gareth's initial quest to Cet's ultimate demise.

In any case, I hope the game has been fun, and that you'll be ready to give it another shot a little while later.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:26 PM   #10
dragon2005
The Magister

i cant play the game to mach - you know high scholl and that.
i am playing really solw.
but i am prude to say that i am finally going to the dragon spear. --: