Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 08-07-2005, 06:28 AM   #1
Tyrion
Quintesson

I want to run a dwarf throuh the intire series, and so i want to know what good options I have choosing what class and weapons i will have.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2005, 06:40 AM   #2
TinyMage
Dungeon Master

Well if you really want to go through the entire series, you are limited to fighter, cleric, or theif. If you want to go through just BG2 and TOB then you can add barbarian.

I don't think dwarves make good theives because they can only put 17 in dex to start.

So its cleric or fighter or multiclass cleric / fighter.

Actually a multiclass cleric / fighter may be a good idea.

There is also a good dwarf only throwing hammer in BG2 pretty early which a multiclass cleric / fighter can use.
TinyMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Dwarves make fine thieves. You get so many skill points and get to such a high level, a point or two of dexterity doesn't matter.

My suggestion to you, for maximum Dwarven fun, is to play a dwarven Berserker, Wizard Slayer, or Fighter/Cleric. Put your constitution as high as it can go, and you'll probably never fail a saving throw against poison or magic!
Old 08-07-2005, 10:18 AM   #4
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

If he uses TuTu he can play a Barbarian the whole way through, however.
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #5
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I usually just go for the basic fighter with Dwarves. Axes galore as well.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Don't try to use Axes in BG1, though--stick to Hammers or Large Swords or something.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:26 PM   #7
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

That "miscast magic" axe in TotSC is pretty cool. I agree though, Hammers are the way to go if you want weapons with a classic "dwarven feel" to them.

I recently started a dwarven berserker, and gave him ** in Axes, Hammers, and Sword and Shield style to start. I figured trying to solo a tank through BGII, it would be best to have the best AC possible. Future proficiencies will go to improve Axes and Hammers.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:20 PM   #8
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Really, Hammers? I always connect Dwarves and Axes, myself, with Clerics of any race getting war hammers.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:28 PM   #9
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
Really, Hammers? I always connect Dwarves and Axes, myself, with Clerics of any race getting war hammers.
It's common to connect dwarves with axes, but think about dwarven culture. They dig. And mine. And smith. What do they use to dig and mine and smith? Hammers. Also, in Faerunian mythology, the chief god of the dwarves, Moradin, wields a hammer. So hammers are more connected to dwarves than axes are, though the axe is still a "dwarven" weapon.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 12:42 AM   #10
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
It's common to connect dwarves with axes, but think about dwarven culture. They dig. And mine. And smith. What do they use to dig and mine and smith? Hammers. Also, in Faerunian mythology, the chief god of the dwarves, Moradin, wields a hammer. So hammers are more connected to dwarves than axes are, though the axe is still a "dwarven" weapon. [/QUOTE]There is a Dragonlance novel (I know, not really related) in the "Dwarven Nations Trilogy," and it explains that most common dwarven weapons (axes, hammers and picks) can double as tools.

Kinda neat. Plus, the lower center of gravity would help with heavy ended weapons.