Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-16-2002, 09:49 AM   #31
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
It is very real, I have had it myself all my life..mine is very mild and only leaves me with a short attention span. And because of it (my mother refused to put me on any kind of drug) I failed school, no it is not just an excuse. I tried my damn hardest in class to do the best I could but my attention always drifted off no matter what I did. It is the same with everything I do.
On the other hand a lot of parents use it as an excuse to absolve themselves of responsibility of the things their children do, not taking on the fact that they might be the one at fault.
And sorry Magik but frankly corporal punishment quite frankly disgusts me. Pain is no way to go about getting things accomplished.
I don't think he's talking about "Beating" kids senseless. Swats should be rarely used, but always left as an option for a deterrent. The theatrics when administering one or two should be quite dramatic, with lots of ceremony. The anticipation is quite effective at cementing the memory. Once children are old enough you shouldn't have to use them anymore anyway. I find standing in the corner with your hands behind your back until you're done with your temper tantrum to work extremely well for the bad attitude. Not only is it unpleasant, but it teaches the child to control their emotions and be able to calm themselves. Good hard physical work is also good as a punishment. When done properly it actually raises self-esteem while it disciplines. This requires that the parent be willing to participate in the discipline and do it also. An example would be taking the child on a run, have them do a physically challenging chore, or do some exercises to the point of discomfort. Always remember to talk about the incident and listen to your child. Make them talk about it and why they did it. It makes you feel good when you finish with a punishment and the child is just tired and satisfied with themselves instead of upset and berating themselves. Screaming and physical abuse only tear down self-esteem, they don't build anything.

[ 05-16-2002, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Sir Kenyth ]
Old 05-16-2002, 09:55 AM   #32
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Oh I know, Magik I wasnt saying you were going to beat the shit out of them hope you took no offense. Just any kind, like smacks or anything just isnt my cup of tea.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:06 AM   #33
Black Dragon
Zhentarim Guard

I'm sorry but I play video games more than anyone I know but I can still answer my parents when they call, Its nothing to do with that. There may be some cases that are ADD or ADHD but I think it all comes down to how well their parents raised them. If their parents raised them to be loyal, they will come, if their parents didn't raise them and just let them do what they please then they most likely wont come.
Black owns!<br />Dragons rule!!<br /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/blackdragonpic.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /> <b>If the media decided that breathing wasn\'t \"cool\" anymore, half the teenage population would be gone.</b> --Someguy
Old 05-16-2002, 12:48 PM   #34
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
It is very real, I have had it myself all my life..mine is very mild and only leaves me with a short attention span. And because of it (my mother refused to put me on any kind of drug) I failed school, no it is not just an excuse. I tried my damn hardest in class to do the best I could but my attention always drifted off no matter what I did. It is the same with everything I do.
hmmm...... I have an open mind; perhaps it is time to reconsider, yes? I think some more research on my part is needed.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.