Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-24-2003, 03:20 PM   #11
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Why is everyone going on about calling the Newspaper's office? In England newspapers are delivered from a newsagents mostly who in turn buys them from the newspaper office. I worked as a paperboy for a newsagents when I was in my early teens and here it is also expected that you post the paper through the letter hole into the house. Or is it just here that there are no mailboxes, only holes in the doors to post stuff through? If there was a mailbox or the paper was thrown onto the ground then anyone could just nick it...

[ 05-24-2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-24-2003, 03:37 PM   #12
Lil Lil

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Why is everyone going on about calling the Newspaper's office? In England newspapers are delivered from a newsagents mostly who in turn buys them from the newspaper office. I worked as a paperboy for a newsagents when I was in my early teens and here it is also expected that you post the paper through the letter hole into the house. Or is it just here that there are no mailboxes, only holes in the doors to post stuff through? If there was a mailbox or the paper was thrown onto the ground then anyone could just nick it...
Because here in America, there is no middleman for newspapers...they go straight from the press (the newspaper office) to the people who deliver them (or sell them~like stores).

Some neighborhoods in this country allow for letterholes in the front door where the mail is delivered by a walking postman but I don't know that any of those holes are big enough for a newspaper (mailmen don't normally deliver daily papers here) and having a mail slot in your front door doesn't apply to every neighborhood, or even every city...in some places (like where I live for instance) there are numbers on the houses and names for the streets we live on but we must pick up our mail through a P.O. Box...no mailmen but those who work behind the counter at the post office...and in other places (usually more rural than where I live), there are two or three mailboxes...one for mail and others for newspapers...those extra boxes are marked by the newspaper's names....and then there are single residential mailboxes with a paper holder under them too.
Then you have your apartment dwellers who have a small metal box that only holds mail...they have to have their papers delivered to their doorstep (hoping no one steals it) or go out and buy one at a store every morning.
Oh my, I am dizzy lol.

Old 05-24-2003, 03:41 PM   #13
Animal
Gold Dragon

Talking to the distributor only works for about 3-5 days, before he's back to the usual tricks. The paperboy that used to do this route was great, he'd make sure it was in the mailbox and if it was raining the paper was in a plastic bag.

The problem is that I live off the beaten path. My closest neighbor is about 2km away, and I believe I'm the only one that receives a newspaper this far out. The local distributor buys the Globe & Mail direct so phoning the Globe doesn't do any good. It's out of their hands.

Perhaps when the paperboy doesn't receive his bonus from me anymore, he'll figure it out. [img]smile.gif[/img] Either that, or my paper won't even make it down the driveway.

[ 05-24-2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Animal ]
Old 05-24-2003, 04:55 PM   #14
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
Just out of curiosity... Is it typically American and Canadian to just *throw* newspapers on the drive-way? Because in the Netherlands, it's common decency to just place them in the mailbox.
Our paper guy throws ours into our yard. He goes around in a jeep and chucks them out as he goes. Fortunately they cover our papers with tight plastic so they don't get wet when they invariably end up on the dewy grass.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:00 PM   #15
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
Just out of curiosity... Is it typically American and Canadian to just *throw* newspapers on the drive-way? Because in the Netherlands, it's common decency to just place them in the mailbox.
Its really good for me! The newspaper is always right by the door, and if its windy, the put it under a rock we have set out for that! [img]smile.gif[/img] Maybe we just have a really nice newspaper boy [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2003, 07:34 PM   #16
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Our paperboy is very lazy as well. Most of the time his mother does it for him, and its always late! I have complained to the Herald many times, but to no avail...