Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Wow, just bought this game about a week ago and it is highly addictive. Kind of like building a party of adventures one of which is a leader. I am only at the 2nd part of the first campaing but having fun. I finally found a use for the thief leaders. I used several thieves to force the leader of a city to a duel. My first thief died, but my second succedded. Than I summoned some Living armor a couple times to weaken the defenders than I attacked the town holding the leaders corpse. On the next turn I expect she would have been resurrected. I also gave my mage leader the leadership ability to lead another party member. Still figuring the game out so if anyone has any tips please feel free to offer them.

[ 04-23-2007, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Sounds interesting. Does Disciples resemble games like Heroes of Might and Magic and Age of Wonders? And if so, does it have a Hot Seat mode?
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:16 PM   #3
pritchke

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Sounds interesting. Does Disciples resemble games like Heroes of Might and Magic and Age of Wonders? And if so, does it have a Hot Seat mode?
Yes, Yes (I would say it has elements of both but remains unique), and yes it does have a hot seat mode.

One of the unique features is it has a technology tree of sorts in the way you upgrade units, for example with a squire you can build a building to upgrade to a knight or a building to upgrade to a witchhunder but not both. The squire will upgrade on his own when he meets the experiance level. That is another thing that is different. You only produce the basic units and they upgrade themselves when they get the experiance and if the buildings are available. If the building is not available they will stay at one less experiance than they need for the next upgrade. You also need to keep melee fighters in the front (right side of the hero sheet, I found this out the hard way with my cleric and mage types in the front lines for several battles)

Oh, and I do have a questions, If I were to start a campaign over from scratch with a new race would there be new maps and objectives to go through or are they the same? It almost doesn't make sense to have the same objectives if playing another race.

[ 04-23-2007, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 04-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Ah-ha. Nice to see another player being inducted into the Disciples 2 world. [img]smile.gif[/img] You can get information from several other hardcore players on the Strategy First Forums (hardcore because we are still playing the game after so many years ).

I undergo the alias of "Rockhard Smashalot" on that forum.

Cheers.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Sounds very promising. I'm always looking for new games to play Hot Seat with my friends, so I might give it a shot. Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:09 AM   #6
Lucern
Quintesson

I don't want to discourage anyone from the rarest of all genres: the fantasy turn-based strategy, but I do want to say that Disciples 2 is much closer to the HoMM series than the Age of Wonders series, particuarly based on the most important part: Combat [img]smile.gif[/img]

For the Record, AoW is one of my favorite series ever. HoMM never did it for me, which is why Disciples didn't either. It's got a lot of qualities I did like though.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
Huwge
Dungeon Master

Nice game, picked it cheap from Ebay with all the expansion packs, not played in a while, but will get round to it sometime
Old 04-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #8
pritchke

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucern:
I don't want to discourage anyone from the rarest of all genres: the fantasy turn-based strategy, but I do want to say that Disciples 2 is much closer to the HoMM series than the Age of Wonders series, particuarly based on the most important part: Combat [img]smile.gif[/img]

For the Record, AoW is one of my favorite series ever. HoMM never did it for me, which is why Disciples didn't either. It's got a lot of qualities I did like though.
AOW was my favorite too. Never managed to find a copy of AOW II though still looking. I have not had the time to fully judge Disiples II but I am liking it so far.

[ 04-26-2007, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 04-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #9
Huwge
Dungeon Master

If youre intersted there is a freeware game in the same vein

http://www.wesnoth.org/
Old 04-27-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
Lucern
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:

AOW was my favorite too. Never managed to find a copy of AOW II though still looking. I have not had the time to fully judge Disiples II but I am liking it so far.
Then you got the important part down

As for AoW - you can skip AoW 2 and go straight to AoW: Shadow Magic - the standalone expansion that uses the AoW 2 engine + a LOT more. It's the finest turn based strategy I've played since Master of Magic [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edit: how did I miss that? I wanted to add that I think Wesnoth is great fun too.

[ 04-27-2007, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Lucern ]
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote