Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2020, 04:46 AM   #1
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Default Five days before BG3 launches

I wonder if anyone will be playing this - pipe up and lets get a bit of action going ;D
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:55 AM   #2
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Default Re: Five days before BG3 launches

I am admittedly so torn on BG3. On the one hand I love the BG series. Little 11 year old me begging my stepdad to try it out after watching him, and him relenting even though it was rated T for teen haha. And the subsequent love I've had for the games over the many years since. Just hit ToB on a playthrough last night, as a matter of fact. On the other hand, even though I enjoyed Divinity, from what I saw of this new one it doesn't really say Baldurs Gate. More like "Great RPG in the Forgotten Realms".

I am definitely looking forward to being proven wrong though, and will definitely give the game a solid go through. Fingers crossed!
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:43 AM   #3
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

I will let others be the Alpha testers. About 6 months in I'll pick it up on a Steam sale.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:48 PM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: Five days before BG3 launches

Hi all!

I got it the day it came out and have been playing it a bit every day.

It does have a "Divinity 3 feel". I mean, it is using the Divinity engine. It has similar type of models (but with a Forgotten realm theme). it moves the same. It has the "lots of liquids on the ground to play with". You can move objects around. You can pick clutter objects etc. So yes, in that sense it is a Divinity game.

But from what I have played to far, it is fun. The story is intriguing. I love the characters and what they did with the setting. I think it will be a good game and as we progress through it, it will feel like a Forgotten Realm game.

Personally I am a bit disappointed they named it as if it was a sequel to the Bhaalspawn saga. I would have preferred that they call it Baldur's Gate: The Flayers or something like that.

I suppose I'm old school in that on the pen and paper side I haven't used anything happening after the 2nd edition setting. No 200 years skip for me or anything. Apparently in the official lore the bhaalspawns lost and Bhaal was resurrected. This is the lore they are using for the game. So not only is this game not a sequel, it actually retcon the two others out of existence...

But don't let this detract you from the game. It is a fun game happening in the Forgotten Realm. Not the Forgotten realm of old. But honestly I wasn't expecting to ever see a Forgotten realm rpg ever again. Plus Illithids are Githyanki are fun!

Last edited by Luvian; 10-09-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
Jorath Calar
Harper

I got it too and think it is a great rpg and awesome dnd game, but it is not a Baldur's Gate game, absolutely no indication at all it should be one except for the name...
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:33 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: Five days before BG3 launches

To be fair. According to this Wikipedia entry Black Isle once had a BG3 in development in 2002 and it too had nothing to do with the Bhaalspawn Saga.

So far I find the new BG3 rally fun and reactive. I don't think I will do a full play-through of the early access version because I don't want to burn myself off the game. But I will definitely follow development and I'm looking forward to the full version.