Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 11-16-2005, 03:34 PM   #1
deadmoney
Dungeon Master

Enserric. . . can he be upgraded at the blacksmith later in HotU? Just curious as I don't want to get too attached and find out later I should have dropped him early on. Thanks again.
deadmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:17 AM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Far as I know, any item can be upgraded. Had a scimitar with some plus on it already and he cheerfully bumped it up to the max (expensive but worth it). I recall he added more to it, as well. He won't add to bonus damage, though. The sword already did something - fire, I think - but when I asked for acid damage, he said no.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

He can be upgraded, but you won't be able to take every enhancement, assuming you have the money for all the enhancements. I had Enserric with a fighter with lots and lots of extra money. If I remember correctly, it wouldn't let you add the HP regeneration property since Enserric already had the vampiric regeneration property. Also, since Enserric already has a lot of magic properties, it stopped upgrading sooner, saying the sword was too valuable to work on, or something to that effect. As Nightowl2 alluded to, if the weapon already has a property, such as bonus damage, then you won't be able to duplicate that property with another bonus damage.

There is a vorpel blade that you get somewhere and I think that is what I ended up upgrading. Visit the area where there is the undead cult after enhancing whichever sword you choose, since you can add a strength draining on hit property to it at one of the alters via some black pearls you will find. If you like Enserric, then upgrade him, just choose the upgrades in order of importance to you. I would suggest, upgrading all the way to +10, then adding haste and acid damage. Other enhancements according to what you think will be most useful. The acid damage is best since most bad guys will not have acid resistance, and one in particular you face will be resistant to most other forms of damage, but not acid. I prefer the HP per turn regeneration rather than the vampiric regeneration since you can eventually get full HP just by hanging out, assuming no one is attacking you of course. I forget all the other enhancements off hand. True seeing is one and that is useful, but not essential, in my opinion.
Witchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
deadmoney
Dungeon Master

Well, I've started upgrading Enserric. He's up to +7 now. I guess I'll just keep upgrading to +10 before trying to add any of the others. I know that adding acid damage ends your ability to upgrade. I just wonder what others do that because obviously I'd like to get as many upgrades as possible. . . haste and keen are on my list as is the acid for obvious reasons. True seeing would be nice too. . . or am I just being greedy now?
Old 11-19-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Nah, go for it. Get as much as you can. Definitely take keen to extend the crit range. I like true seeing myself. I'm pretty sure there is some limit to the different abilities you can add (not counting the plus), but don't know what it is. Suggest taking the ones you really want first, then save and see how far you can go, as long as the cash holds out.

And if you can't afford everything now, well, there may be a chance later...

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 02:03 AM   #6
deadmoney
Dungeon Master

Yeah, that's what I'm doing pretty much. I'm up to +8 with keen now and so next time (after the undead thing) I'll do +9 or +10 and see if I can get the SR or true seeing or haste. I know the acid is a must. . . thanks.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:30 PM   #7
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

I remembered a way to get around the limit on upgrades that I found. It won't let you add extra forms of damage, but it will let you get all the different forms of upgrade available. I had done all the upgrades it would let me with the vorpel blade, then got told the sword was too valuable to risk further upgrades. I switched out the vorpel blade and put in some other magic sword I had and then approached the master smith to upgrade that sword. He said yes this time and listed the possible upgrades. Before choosing and with the dialogue window still open, I opened my inventory window and swapped out the other sword and replaced it with the maximally upgraded vorpel blade again in my right hand inventory slot. Then I selected the upgrade and this time it was done. I stumbled on that several months ago and may not remember the steps exactly, but play around with it and you should be able to get all the possible upgrades.

I think the NWN HOTU program checks the weapon in your inventory slot when you first ask for an upgrade, but not afterward, so if you switch weapons after getting the master smith to agree, then you can get all the upgrades possible.

You still will only be able to select one damage type (you want Acid Damage, trust me) and with Enserric you will not be able to choose the HP/round regeneration because he already has vampiric regeneration, but you would be able to upgrade to +10, keen, haste, true seeing, spell resistance +20 and your choice of bonus damage type. Plus the strength drain on hit available in the undead cult section.
Witchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote