Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2004, 09:10 PM   #1
Black Dragon
Zhentarim Guard

Does anyone on Ironworks know how to work html coding? BlackDragon I need some pointers... I am very very very new to HTML coding and all I know so far is how to color words... Any help would be appreciated...

[ 04-17-2004, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Black owns!<br />Dragons rule!!<br /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/blackdragonpic.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /> <b>If the media decided that breathing wasn\'t \"cool\" anymore, half the teenage population would be gone.</b> --Someguy
Old 04-15-2004, 11:17 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

My first suggestion... pick up a book. I've got one over here... HTML Visual Quick Reference. You can probably find something similar in the discount bins at your local bookstores or computer stores.

You can also do on-line lookups. A google search for "HTML Tutorial" will probably be beneficial, as would a similar search through the IW search banks. I seem to recall a couple of similar questions in the past.

I can see that you're doing some enjoyable stuff with font colors. One thing I'll mention for some of us more "seasoned" folks... the better the contrast between font and background, the easier it is to read. Black on brown is a trifle challenging for these eyes... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Important thing to do is get a resource to work with and play around. And if you really want to stretch your skills, volunteer to set up a web page for someone else -- either a person or an organization. You'd be amazed at what they might want you to do. I know I was... [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:24 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

On a side note, and I cannot emphasise this enough, please, please, always FF0000">close your HTML tags.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:26 AM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
On a side note, and I cannot emphasise this enough, please, please, always FF0000">close your HTML tags.
I fixed that one for him. He actually left it open on purpose so that his signature would be in black, but he did not know that doing so affects other posts that are not his. Thus, Black Dragon...always close all fonts as Dundee advised. And Ziroc may have to approve of your large signature(s). The freakishly large quote is bad sig etiquette.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:32 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Actually it wasn't just his missing </font> tag. He left a <b> tag open too.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:10 AM   #6
Teri-sha Illistyn
Zhentarim Guard

I have been critizied by some people that know HTML really well, for the way I am working on my own webpage.

I use microsoft frontpage to create a page, then I can view the source code just by clicking a tab and seeing how it looks.

A friend hooked me up with a nifty program called "Editpad" that I work with also on the little bit of code I am familiar with.

A book also reccomended to me is "Web Design in a Nutshell" It is a little advanced in some areas but its explanations of code is a life saver. On my own I bought "Easy Web Page Creation" wich walks you through step by step of making a web page... but you are using their fonts and graphics. I didnt like that much but once again it had good explanations.

Hope that is some help to ya. If not, well it only took a few minuets to read [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2004, 02:55 AM   #7
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Avoid Frontpage. The code it generates has trouble working in anything - even IE. Same happens with Word, and Geocities webbuilder, and alot of other WYSIWYG tools. You're better off hand-coding.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:56 AM   #8
Ehrys
Manshoon

Best way to learn (for me anyways) was to learn what the tags do (just downloaded an HTML tutorial online)... then open up simple webpages and examine them... then try recreating it myself. Then try it with different things. Nothing like practicing the theory to teach you how it works. Best way is to use a simple text editor (like notepade) and IE so you can make simple changes, then view it right away to see what the results are.

You get the hang of it right quick.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:51 AM   #9
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
This is how I taught myself html. It's simple and laid out easy and you can even download and offline e-book.

[ 04-16-2004, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: Jaradu ]
Old 04-16-2004, 07:42 PM   #10
Black Dragon
Zhentarim Guard

Oh.. I didn't realize leaving it open would affect the other people's posts... I'm sorry about that... But I do thank you all for this advice, its very helpful for me, I'm going to look up on the web for a tutorial and if that doesn't help, I'll go to a bookstore and get a book on it... I do have one idea for IW though, it has an explaination of UBB CodeTM but it doesn't have an explaination for HTML... maybe IW could make a link for HTML as well, to help the few who want to use it, understand which codes work, cause I've noticed so far a few things refused to work on IW's, cause IW doesn't allow it.. so maybe IW could show allowable HTML codes...? Just an idea... Anyways, I'm going to take a moment to check out that tutorial link given in this thread...
Black owns!<br />Dragons rule!!<br /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/blackdragonpic.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /> <b>If the media decided that breathing wasn\'t \"cool\" anymore, half the teenage population would be gone.</b> --Someguy