Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 03-18-2001, 11:29 PM   #1
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

in as short as 60 days (combine the time in BGI), and that makes me think Drizzt and Elminster are pathetic... spent hundreds of years to master their craft while you just beat them in no time
Old 03-19-2001, 03:04 AM   #2
Entreri
Manshoon

for Drizzt, there is his human nemesis, Artemis Entreri, that he is an assassin and dualed Drizzt a couples of times to proove him that he is the best fighter and not the drow. But still, they where equal. No one could defeat the other. And in the second last book Of R.A Salvator, Drizzt beat him. To make you understand that he was 120 years old and Entreri only 25-30 old and was as good as Drizzt. For Elminster, Taht is a good one, a level 29 mage that can be defeated by a couple of level 10-18 characters. He cannot die because of all the spells taht prevent him to be hurt. In the d&d stats, Elminster will disapear when there is a fatal hit to his tower.

------------------
Maybe it's because I hate drows more than I hate Humans - Jarlaxle to Entreri
Old 03-19-2001, 04:30 AM   #3
Kellin da Mage
Dungeon Master

So are you saying in BGII they suck? Ya I have to agree with you on that. In the real world of AD&D they don't.

They are characters in a differant campaign. The computer games have always jumped up levels quickly. It would be borring to play a hack and slash computer game at the PnP's normal leveling pace. I plaied a character for a year almost every night after school and got him up to an 18th level fighter/ 23rd level mage(damm long time ago it seems). I also adjust the NPCs in the game to suit my needs as well. Elminster is not 29th level in my ongoing Relms world. Not that anyone would even try to attack him. Drizzt would not go down from a PC in my world.

I think they tossed in Drizzt as a thanks to a really good relms writter. I'm sure for most players it added value to the game too. Being able to fight along side a legendary character that I grew up reading about was kinda fun. *snicker* got him killed one time though that was cute too. More on that latter. They just guessed a level and programmed him as such.

Don't consider the characters in BG to be accurate in a PnP game. Their are a handfull of mages in a PnP game that can time stop. Maybe 4 liches in an entire game world, not one town! Dragons fly and kill many more powerfull parties (trust me on this one). Jon would pound the party into the turf were he a real PnP character.

------------------
--Kellin da Mage--
Old 03-19-2001, 05:58 AM   #4
Melusine
Dracolisk

Please keep in mind that this is a computer game, NOT pen&paper DnD!
How would you have liked it if in BG, all you were doing is walking around a bit, doing one adventure and just barely making it to level 2? You cannot expect leveling up and adventuring in a computer game to be the same as in D&D. DnD is just much slower, and they simply had to make you level up quickly, give you lots of powerful enemies, because it simply wouldn't be fun to play if all you could reach was perhaps level 3.
Remarks like "Crizzt and Elminster are weaklings" which seem to persist in some people's minds are, IMHO, just stupid. How can you expect the game to be the same as the real thing? Try to think for a second how hard it must be to adapt a game to the immense complexity of D&D rules!
Just my 2 cents

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the OHF and the LH

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-19-2001, 06:23 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Keep in mind that Elminster has very powerful (255+) psionics which if implemented in BG2 would fry your brain to a crisp before you could even think about doing anything to him.

When they made Elminster all-powerful, they didn't scrimp, let me tell you...

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-19-2001, 06:48 AM   #6
Rikard

That doesn;t take away the fact that you will get Inhumanly strong in BGII
That's no problem really though
You ARE the son of Bhaal
What i find hard to believe is that your NPC are as strong as you
and that there are a lot of enemy's having level 8 spell eventhuogh level 8 spells are a extream rarety in DnD

------------------

The Legend Master Necromancer
Prince Rikard T'Aranaxz of Natri'x
Clanmaster and Mental Father of the OHF
Ramanish of Neathan'Calith
High Priest and son of the Eternal Phoenix
Lord and General of the Army of the West

AND!!!
Laughing Hyena!!!

Old 03-19-2001, 08:38 AM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Rikard is right...you DO have the blood of a God in your veins, as well as does Imoen. Those two can be expected to become more than mere human, by the standards of what a human is. Yet the others, I agree, should not be able to level up equal to God-hood, like your PC and Imoen. But as Melusine was saying: Who said that a computer game can or should follow the PnP rules?

Can you create a game that follows every original PnP rule?? Do you think it would become a hit such as BG and BGII have become? And since rules do change, ie. 2nd and now 3rd revision of the PnP rules, why is it so hard for you to accept needed changes? People grow out of the boundries set, and need to expand borders. One of the reasons that the BG seies is so popular is because it allows for that expansion...where the rules do hinder progression.

------------------

Larry, ??? of the OHF
Old 03-19-2001, 08:43 AM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

Larry, thanks for that wellphrased and true post!

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the OHF and the LH

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-19-2001, 12:07 PM   #9
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I dont know what the hell are you guys yapping about. to me, it seems we have the same opinion and it seems all your arguement is directed to me

they (Drizzt, Elminster) are pathetic in BGII, admit it all not, and that is what the "unfair" part about. ohhh sure, they are really good in AD&D PnP, but is BGII not dedicated to AD&D? so shouldn't they be better in BGII as well?

In BGII, you get to be very godlike in a short time, in a sense, is not-so-AD&D. you do have god's blood, but that doesn't make those companions who follow become godlike as well. if BGII is more dedicated to "adventure & story" instead of "level and equipment", say you finish the game and end up with level 12 or something and you do all those stories (less exp reward of course). this way will still keep the statues of Drizzt and Elminster, yet the game is still fun and rewarding.

anyway, I am not sure if that makes or not. I hope it does
Old 03-19-2001, 12:22 PM   #10
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Please keep in mind that this is a computer game, NOT pen&paper DnD!
How would you have liked it if in BG, all you were doing is walking around a bit, doing one adventure and just barely making it to level 2? You cannot expect leveling up and adventuring in a computer game to be the same as in D&D. DnD is just much slower, and they simply had to make you level up quickly, give you lots of powerful enemies, because it simply wouldn't be fun to play if all you could reach was perhaps level 3.
Remarks like "Crizzt and Elminster are weaklings" which seem to persist in some people's minds are, IMHO, just stupid. How can you expect the game to be the same as the real thing? Try to think for a second how hard it must be to adapt a game to the immense complexity of D&D rules!
Just my 2 cents

I am expecting the game to be the real thing. 1st,I nevr played real AD&D, 2nd, it is not likely I am going to. So I expect to find a game can let me JUST DO THAT. I enjoyed BGI a lot, sure, the level is not so high, but the battles were more fun and enjoyable, since none of my party member is too strong, and we did not have those powered up weapons. it needed a lot of strategy and planning. it was fun, I liked it a lot. and I liked that when I reached level 2, I was like WOW! yes!! my HP doubled!! heh, that was good time...