Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 04:48 AM   #1
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Crying Robert Jordan has passed away

Found this over at slashdot.

James Oliver Rigney Jr, author of the long-running fantasy series The Wheel of Time and better known to millions of fans by the pen name Robert Jordan, died on 16 Sept 2007 from cardiac amyloidosis. Jordan announced he had been diagnosed with the disease in March 2006 and vowed to beat the odds, but determination and gumption sometimes just aren't enough in the face of a disease with a median survival time of just over two years. Jordan was in the process of writing the twelfth and final book in the Wheel of Time series, A Memory of Light, but the book was not slated for release until 2009 and is still incomplete. While there is hope that the book will still be finished from Jordan's notes, this is devastating news to all of us who have been reading the series since 1990."

This was also posted on his website

Sometimes even when you've fought your best....
Sunday, September 16th, 2007

It is with great sadness that I tell you that the Dragon is gone. RJ left us today at 2:45 PM. He fought a valiant fight against this most horrid disease. In the end, he left peacefully and in no pain. In the years he had fought this, he taught me much about living and about facing death. He never waivered in his faith, nor questioned our God's timing. I could not possibly be more proud of anyone. I am eternally grateful for the time that I had with him on this earth and look forward to our reunion, though as I told him this afternoon, not yet. I love you bubba.

Our beloved Harriet was at his side through the entire fight and to the end. The last words from his mouth were to tell her that he loved her.

Thank each and everyone of you for your prayers and support through this ordeal. He knew you were there. Harriet reminded him today that she was very proud of the many lives he had touched through his work. We've all felt the love that you've been sending my brother/cousin. Please keep it coming as our Harriet could use the support.

Jason will be posting funeral arrangements.

My sincerest thanks.

Peace and Light be with each of you,
Old 09-17-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: Robert Jordan has passed away

You beat me to it, I just logged on to post this.

This is really sad. Say what you want about the last couple of his novels, he was a great writer and it's sad to see him go. He once said he had about 20 years worth of stories he wanted to write. Too bad we will never know these stories.

I read that apparently the last book will most likely be published anyway. If you've kept up with news of him, I think he knew it was coming, because he started writing plot outlines and even dictating part of the story and the plot so others could write it down for him. Sounds to me he wanted to make sure his work would survive him.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:35 AM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Unhappy Re: Robert Jordan has passed away

Very sad news. I am currently reading book 2, <i>The Great Hunt</i>. It has been very good so far. Even better than the first.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

Heart Re: Robert Jordan has passed away

Very sad news indeed. For over 5 years my wife helped run a website dedicated to creative writing and roleplay in the WOT setting. I witnessed firsthand how his works not only inspired creative writing, but also brought together people from across the globe into life-long friendships.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

A real shame. I was really hoping he would be able to finish his series before he passed away. Very sad indeed.

R. I. P.
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Wow that is so sad! I was actually thinking about picking up another Robert Jordan book the other day. I've been reading another long series and it made me think about how I stopped reading the Wheel of Time series because I got kind of bored at book 9. I've been told lately though that he picked things up again, so I was thinking of getting book 10 and seeing how it went. Again, how sad! He really was an excellent writer with a great imagination. I always loved how his books were so big too, making it well worth the price, vs. other books that are much smaller but the price is the same. He will truly be missed.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:40 AM   #7
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion

Very unfortunate and staggering news. Whilst I have only read the first book of the Wheel of Time series, I have friends who adore and worship practically all of Jordan's output with a fervent vehemence that has drawn my humble respect. Such epic inspiration for creativity will surely be missed by writers and readers world wide.
RIP
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #8
DrowArchmage
Mephistopheles

Jordan inspired many of my stories. I cant believe he's gone. Its a sad time for the fantasy world. RIP.

-al'Lan Mandragoran, Last Lord of the Seven Towers
DrowArchmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:32 PM   #9
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

RIP. An immense loss to the literature world. He will be always remembered.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:49 AM   #10
skaven
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I really enjoyed reading his epic story. I never read a fantasy story that had so many important characters interwoven into the plot. I also enjoyed The Wheel of Time computer game and was thinking about reloading it. He will be missed.
skaven is offline   Reply With Quote