Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 10-13-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
burnzey boi
Red Wizard of Thay

Me and a couple pals from real life have thought about making three classes that go together perfectly. We were thinking something along Warlock warlock warlock, the dots produced would kill something instantly.

Could anyone give any good ideas? I hear rogue mage is a good combo, kick and counterspell ect..

(Main)Undead Mage - 70, Orc Warrior - 70, Blood Elf Paladin - 70, Orc Shaman - 70, Troll Rogue - 70,
Orc Hunter - 65, UD Warlock 61, BE Priest 60, Tauren Drood - 60
OM NOM NOM NOM
burnzey boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Warlocks suck.

Seriously, though, if you're talking about PVP then anything with a holy priest rocks. For levelling, me and a buddy will be doing warlock and priest once xpac drops.

Our full group will likely be warlock, priest, mage, shammy/rogue, warrior/priest. The "slashes" in there indicate guys who have two level 60's that allow us to mix-n-match the groups.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:29 AM   #3
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Why a holy priest? I'm a holy priest currently, and the PvP survivability is absolutely dreadful. Even with experienced and well geared allies, I can't do anything about getting focus-fired by the entire horde team at once as soon as my hands start to glow.

A paladin beats a priest in PvP support any day. Survivability > healing power when it comes to PvP.

Of course, TL, since you're horde you'd have to wait for one of your buddies to level a Blood elf. Still, even a druid or shaman is better than a priest for combat healing.

EDIT: As for a successful 3-man pvp team, I'd say paladin/warrior/mage. The paladin would be the indomitable shield wall, the warrior would be the damage dealing machine, and the mage would deal damage but focus on CC abilities (slow, freeze, polymorph, etc.)

Also, judging by the recent buffs to the paladin class, it may be viable to go with, say, 3 paladins. The Spiritual Attunement passive ability of getting 10% mana from every heal cast on them would make the trio's survivability nearly limitless. 2 paladins with a warrior would also be pretty good.

[ 10-15-2006, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Marty4 ]
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:38 PM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty4:
Why a holy priest? I'm a holy priest currently, and the PvP survivability is absolutely dreadful. Even with experienced and well geared allies, I can't do anything about getting focus-fired by the entire horde team at once as soon as my hands start to glow.

A paladin beats a priest in PvP support any day. Survivability > healing power when it comes to PvP.

Of course, TL, since you're horde you'd have to wait for one of your buddies to level a Blood elf. Still, even a druid or shaman is better than a priest for combat healing.

EDIT: As for a successful 3-man pvp team, I'd say paladin/warrior/mage. The paladin would be the indomitable shield wall, the warrior would be the damage dealing machine, and the mage would deal damage but focus on CC abilities (slow, freeze, polymorph, etc.)

Also, judging by the recent buffs to the paladin class, it may be viable to go with, say, 3 paladins. The Spiritual Attunement passive ability of getting 10% mana from every heal cast on them would make the trio's survivability nearly limitless. 2 paladins with a warrior would also be pretty good.
I have a 60 holy priest and have absolutly no trouble kicking ass in PvP.

I don't enjoy it as much as I enjoy a rogue, but as long as you are aware that you are a target, you can work with that strategicly.

Then again, I do play Horde, and no offence, but we generally seem smarter when it comes to most PvP battles.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:42 PM   #5
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
quote:
Originally posted by Marty4:

I have a 60 holy priest and have absolutly no trouble kicking ass in PvP.

I don't enjoy it as much as I enjoy a rogue, but as long as you are aware that you are a target, you can work with that strategicly.

Then again, I do play Horde, and no offence, but we generally seem smarter when it comes to most PvP battles.
[/QUOTE]None taken, I'm aware that the smarter players play horde. Of course, I only learned that AFTER I began my character .

Holy priests can do well in a 1v1, and I can beat just about anything by outlasting them. However, when it comes to supporting teammates, I feel inadequate as a holy priest. Paladins have a variety of ways to heal teammates: they can stun attackers, they have plate and a shield, they can spec for increase movement speed, they can achieve 100% casting uninterruption, and they can bubble for a full 12 seconds of immunity. Priests, on the other hand, bring more healing power to the field, but my only tools for surviving multiple attackers are my fear and my shield. My only hope when I'm attacked by 2+ people is that my friends can kill them before they kill me.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:54 AM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yes I can see why you say this. Holy priests are slightly more PvE specced healers than PvP. Druid is almost better for PvP as a healing companion since he can morph out of sheep, snares etc. and just kinda run around in catform casting regens. There is always Psychic Scream but yeah, pallys have a little more room. Plus Fade doesn't exactly do wonders in Wsg. But then, PWS every other second (especially if you're Holy/Dis) is a godsend. Throw one up on you, teamate and then a regen or group heal and you're good again. But yes, I hear ya one sheep and thats it for the priest. Just arguing with myself out loud
Old 10-16-2006, 07:03 AM   #7
burnzey boi
Red Wizard of Thay

I've had a paladin hearthstone on me 4 times in the pvping world. It's quite halarious. Mage lock and priest should be the best though, shadow specced priests can still out heal a resto spec and give good dps, a lock to fear away if they get too close and can peform dots for a quicker kill and a mage for the damage and aoe, just incase a rogue decides to say hello. Druids are good, but arn't terribly good when faced with burst damage. i.e my rogue, just do cheap shot so slow them down, throw in some sinisters cold blood and eviscerate to make the best damage. I'm not fond of the stunlocking tactic as it doesn't really give the best dps.

But still, mages and their 'I WIN' button still beats that hands down. (Saw a pyroblast crit for 4.3k dmg)

(Main)Undead Mage - 70, Orc Warrior - 70, Blood Elf Paladin - 70, Orc Shaman - 70, Troll Rogue - 70,
Orc Hunter - 65, UD Warlock 61, BE Priest 60, Tauren Drood - 60
OM NOM NOM NOM
burnzey boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:23 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I didn't know the focus was pvp. Usually if you're asking what a good 3 or 4 man team is, you're talking about levelling. Which is why my reply was focuses around a 2-man grinding team and a 5-man instancing team.

Regarding PVP, I still like holy priests. And the holy priests I know can grab 10 other players and basically roll right through AV keeping them all alive. A holy priest can definately beat any other class 1 on 1 -- I know because I watch my GL do it all the time. I can beat a shadow priest much easier than a holy, btw, burnzey.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:05 AM   #9
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

In the AV setup, a holy priest probably IS the best healer, since you're primarily fulfilling PvE objectives, and any PvP contact is generally scattered. In PvE, priests win hands down.

Shadow priests are much more powerful offensively than holy priests, but lose out when it comes to efficiency. Since efficiency is how a holy priest fights, holy priests beat shadow priests.

As for mages, I'd want a warlock over one on my side any day. Sure, pyro mages can unleash a huge amount of damage very quickly, but aside from your 4.3k mage they'd better pray it finishes me off. I dueled a rank 13 mage the other day, he in great DPS gear and I in prophecy. The fight lasted for 4 minutes, so he got off TWO combos of PoM pyro-> fireblast->blast wave. With the help of my shield, I withstood both of those bursts. Aside from his bursts, he couldn't do much to me, and I eventually got him OOM and finished him off.

A quick note on shields: they're on a 4 second cooldown. No prob with only one target, but I can't spam them on everyone in a large fight.

In my opinion, the PvE healing heirarchy is priests at the top, druids, then shamans/paladins. For PvP, this list is reversed; Paladins are the best against other players, followed by shamans/druids (druids maybe a bit better due to more shapeshifting ability), then priests.

Just think about what would happen if AI mobs went for the priest in the group immediately instead of following the rules of aggro. That's why priests aren't good pvp healers.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #10
Glycerine_74
Dungeon Master

I guess it's different for all, but I had no problem stomping all over warlocks and holy priests with my undead shadow priest. Will of the Forsaken plus PvP trinket equals two fears that get instantly dispelled. From my experiences, when you take away a warlock's fear ability they are easy to beat. (Unless they have their anti-caster pet out, then it's quite a challenge. Fortunately, most didn't when running into them out in the world.)

glyc
Glycerine_74 is offline   Reply With Quote