Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-06-2001, 01:12 PM   #41
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Being young doesnt seem so easy these days,sigh
Old 03-06-2001, 01:19 PM   #42
Charlie
Lord Ao

You hit a good point LoA. Kids are forced/need to grow up far too young these days to deal with the difficulties of modern society. That is another socialogical issue that is tied in with this whole thread unfortunately. Seems the innocence of the young is fast disappearing.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 03-06-2001, 01:20 PM   #43
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Hey Guys,

I guess I have to weight in. I was very sad when I heard about Santee. Afteall thats happened here over the last several years, you would have thought we as parents and adults would have learned a thing or too. Every one of us has a responsiblity as an adult to raise ALL of our children. Not just your on. What made this especially difficult for me was the fact that this kid had told an adult that he was thinking about doing this. At that moment that adult should have stopped everything he was doing and sought some kind of help! Instead he told that kid "if I caught you taking a gun to school I'll have you put in jail". I heard that man say that on TV last night. I believe it was the mothers boyfriend. Why could he not have gone to the school with the kid and found out what the problem was and a solution. We cannot ignore our children. We cannot just tell them "don't do this cause you will get in trouble" and assume that that will stop everything. Kids have to be raised 24/7.

I also tend to agree with Draconia on the gun thing. Even if we were to ban all guns in this county (would start a civil war), they would never get them all. Then the only people that would have guns are the criminals. That's kind of an old cligue (or however you spell it), but it's true if you think about it. IF the law abiding citizens turn their guns in and the criminals don't; who has the power?

------------------
Sir Taliesin

Ten Rings there are, and nine gold torcs on the battlechiefs of old...
Old 03-06-2001, 01:29 PM   #44
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

I have a possible soultion to banning the gun, don't ban bullets. Besides even if banning guns worked people would use other things, like swords, their fairly easy to get over here, Hell I've got one.

------------------

Co-president of the Club of Broken Hearts
Old 03-06-2001, 01:35 PM   #45
Gray Mage
Banned User

Sword would be better for a couple of reasons
1. You really can't hide it
2. If your fast you have a better chance
3. You can't get them through Metal Detectors
At least there is a slim chance.

Not to lessen the severity of the question, just a little humor. This is a serious issue.

------------------

Feel My Power

[This message has been edited by Gray Mage (edited 03-06-2001).]
Old 03-06-2001, 01:36 PM   #46
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel:
I have a possible soultion to banning the gun, don't ban bullets. Besides even if banning guns worked people would use other things, like swords, their fairly easy to get over here, Hell I've got one.

ban gun is not the issue man, as i said, gun just happens to play a conveniant tool here.
even if you want to ban the gun, look at those bastards who work in the government... you think they are going to ban this MUTIMILLIONIA industry? this is like tens percent of US GDP... they only worry about macroecnomics growth, and dont really give a f*** about people spiritual states.

Old 03-06-2001, 01:42 PM   #47
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

Grey mage, your wrong there a madmen took a samuri sword to an MP over here a few months back, killed the MPs best friend and nearly the MP.

250, I'm know they won't ban the gun but a soul can dream can't it.

------------------

Co-president of the Club of Broken Hearts
Old 03-06-2001, 01:45 PM   #48
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Being young doesnt seem so easy these days,sigh

Amen, LoA, amen

Charlie, I do agree with you about the availability issue. I am appalled to hear news stories of kids in my own town found standing at bus stops with loaded guns in their possesion. They got them from their drug-dealer parent. Just walked in and picked the damn things up off a table where they lay around waiting for disaster to strike.

I have a friend in NZ who has these 'discussions' about banning guns with others on my list. They end in bad blood and usually mean the participants have to take a break to cool off and start over. So this topic makes me uneasy. But here goes.

I honestly wish this country could or would do what hers, yours and so many others do- not only ban them but ENFORCE the ban. But we have issues with that too. We are a huge monstrosity of a country and when it comes to making hard and fast rules, we play POLITICALLY CORRECT too often. All the pros and cons go round and round and nothing is done. Money and politicians get together and things bog down.

I close by saying that my dad's family has always used guns for sport- deer hunting mostly but my dad is the only one who stopped doing it when he joined the AF at 18. He never went again, didn't care for it. He did two stints in Vietnam and saw horrors I can't begin to truly imagine and he came back admantly opposed to guns in the house. I just naturally assumed that nobody kept a gun in their house for most of my youth. But, the sad fact is, they do for whatever reasons. And many of them are criminal. As some others have mentioned above, we don't even enforce the laws we HAVE on the books in this country. I sometimes think that's the biggest contributor to the trouble we face now.

We Americans are at a point where the violence doesn't seem to phase us as it used to or should. We see it every day in real life and in entertainment -television, movies, games etc. We're bombarded with it day in and day out - media news IS mostly bad and the hottest box office sellers usually involve a lot of gore and explosions. We are saturated with it and kids take it as part and parcel of life. That bothers me more than anything else. To take life for granted- to think that life , yours or someone elses is not worth the time it takes to snuff it out....I find that the most painful "truth" of our society.

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Old 03-06-2001, 02:01 PM   #49
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Yorick--
I totally agree with you on the media issue. It is an unfortunate reality in this country (and probably all countries) that negative (evil) stories sell. I have long since stopped watching the local news b/c of it's biased nature to report only negative or 'heart-wrenching' news stories. The media should be there to report on events, tell the truth of the events, and relate both sides of the event.....however, it always turns into a one-sided, opinionated dialogue from the reporter. It comes down to playing to people's emotions. It is a common statistical practice to not accept data that is "tainted" by emotion. If you have say, a call in poll on a hot issue you are only going to get reponses from people who have strong (either for or against) opinions on the issue....you will rarely get a response out of someone that really doesn't care......the media have latched onto this......they try to report every story so that it provokes those with strong emotions towards the issue.....if they just give the facts w/out the opinions they will take that "middle don't care" ground and will not be able to 'sell' their story.
There are other responses I would like to make...but I will make them in a later post

------------------
Old 03-06-2001, 03:13 PM   #50
Moiraine
Anubis

I am a pretty small woman and I could be beaten quite easily, but I will NEVER buy a gun.
I think of what would happen if a big guy attacked me and took the gun from me ... SO MUCH worse than without the f*** gun ...
I think of what would happen if he didn't take the gun and I would shoot and kill him ... how could I live with the never ending guilt in my head 'I have killed a man, I have killed a man' ...
And I think of what would happen if my son found the gun ...

------------------