Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2000, 11:17 AM   #1
Davin

I thought Warlocks got access to all spell types? I converted my Wizard over and joined the Temple, but they will not train me in Spirit or Vine. Do only Clerics who convert get those and lose access to Sun and Stone or am I missing something? Also, is it just me or are there WAY too many 1s being rolled during levelling-up. I don't consider myself a power-gamer, but if I had taken the first roll on all my Paladins level-ups, I would have had 20 hps at 6th level... and this with an 18 Fortitude at Level 1! Given that you can't back out of levelling-up AND you can only reload from town, this becomes a tedious, time-consuming process just to get a decent roll. I mean, shouldn't a high Fortitude significantly increase your MINIMUM gain? (except if you are still trying to surpass your previous class level)

Old 10-12-2000, 11:28 AM   #2
analander
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Regarding the Warlock spells, it is an error in the manual and the game.

The Warlock quest refers to them as 'master of all magiks' and the manual (p. 26) states "Excepting Warlocks and Zenmasters, who are eligible to learn all books of magic...". Would that it were so.

After changing classes you can learn spells from a previously available spell book at half the normal rate as long as you've reached the character level in the new class equal to the spell level in question and have also attained at least the matching skill level for that book. Aside from this and in my experience, converting a character to a Warlock only enables them to learn Moon and Fiend spells in addition to the carry over described above. So a Wizard changing to a Warlock will never be able to learn Spirit or Vine spells.

- John
http://www.tk421.net/wizardry/
Old 10-12-2000, 11:38 AM   #3
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Warlocks can LEARN all spell types, but its very ambiguous how this works. True, they only learn Moon and Fiend magic on their own.

Have you seen my post about changing classes and learning all magics? Say you had a wizard who had sun and stone and made him a paladin. He could only learn more sun and stone magic if his magic skill for sun and/or stone was twice the level of the magic (say for instance, level 10 to get a level 5 magma bomb spell). As I said before, you can spend some time and get all the magic of a spell type before changing, or switch to warlock.

If this same wizard switched to warlock, and lets say they had a level 2 sun and level 3 stone, as a warlock you could learn level 7 in both sun and stone provided you increased their spell levels to 7 respectively. But as noted above, you'd need twice this in any other role that couldn't learn that magic. And you can only have a level 12 in any skill, so the most you could get is level 6 spells, and this is after having a ridiculously high level in a certain magic.

Now, what you can do is start as a wizard (the only class that learns stone besides Valk and ZM), then become a scout to learn vine, then warlock to get moon and fiend. Then lastly, paladin or monk for spirit. Huzzah, you got em all!

About the HP issue, just relax about it! Remember you will get lousy increases until your new level surpases your old one. Right now I have a level 12 Barbarian with about 130 HP. She had about 90 or so, then in one level she got 36 HP. No kidding, she is a Dwarf race. Usually around levels 10-12 your characters get lots of HP. But, this is only if you were a little weak to begin with, this game is programed so you dont have to play the reset and regain level game. You will only frustrate yourself if try and do this. Be patient with those little 1 HP increases, soon enough they will get a big boost which will make a smile on your face for sure.

Also, my Gnome Paladin got 30 HP in one level, and at level 11 she has 125 HP. Just be patient, and your warriors will get the goodies in due time.

Take it easy

Scronan