Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 05-25-2001, 02:20 PM   #1
onthepequod
Quintesson

Ok now I'm curious!

I initially came to these boards for BGII. Subsequently, I found myself (not quite sure how it happened), frequently on the general discussion board where I’ve seen Moni and RudeDawg talking about W&W. So my question for any of you who have played BGII is, how does it compare to W&W? What do you like better about W&W and what do you like better about BGII?
onthepequod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 02:26 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Well, it's like comparing apples to oranges. They're both fruit, and W&W and BGII are both role-playing games.

BG2 is set in a strictly Advanced Dungeons & Dragons(TM) universe known as the Forgotten Realms, using 2nd edition rules. It uses a 3/4 down view 3rd person interface, and supports multiplayer capability.

Wizards & Warriors is a 1st-person view game in which your viewpoint is from that of the characters, not from someone watching way overhead at a 3/4 angle view. It does not follow the AD&D system, but has defined its own, strongly based off of the Sir-Tech Wizardry series.

Both support multiple classes and races, both have extremely intricate worlds, and both are addictive, from what I can tell. The nit-picky rules in BG2 drive some people mad, and the somewhat less than intuitive interface in W&W drives others mad.

That's an EXTREMELY cursory overview. Black Knight and RudeDawg can probably fill you in better on their viewpoints between the two games.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 02:32 PM   #3
realbinky
Elminster

I am a diehard D&D'er. I consider D&D the grandaddy of all fantasy RPG. BGII is one of the best adaptations, and I love it. Plus the story is just remarkable. It feels very much like your party is in Faerun. However, that's the way it feels. Your party. In W&W, the story is weak (get the big weapon, kill bad guy), the techincal pieces are weak (crashes, bugs, harware support issues - where BGII was freakin solid for its size). BUT you feel more like it is you. The first person makes it more YOU oriented. When you spin around, and someone is attacking, you jump, and feel like it is swinging/casting at YOU. In BGII monsters attack your party, you feel a bit disconnected. I love to play BGII, but I can play W&W and my wife likes to watch along too.
realbinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 02:32 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

BTW, good to see you here, Onthepequod!

Duhhhh, I just noticed who it was who was posting! Well, that's me being a dingdong again, hehe!

Both RudeDawg and BK are really enjoying the game (W&W) from what I can tell. Cloudy's jury is out on this so far , and we haven't seen Lord of Alcohol around for awhile, so we don't know on that.

Cheers!
-Sazerac
Old 05-25-2001, 02:43 PM   #5
mdalos
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am a die-hard RPG person...loved baldurs gate...loved icewind...love final fantasy...so it took me about a day to get into the W&W type game...but now i am absolutely hooked. They are completely different types of games but both great at what they do! Enjoy!

Michelle
mdalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 03:13 PM   #6
Benihaha
Dungeon Master

My 2 cents worth....
I've played BG2 quite a bit and started W&W a couple of weeks ago, but the big difference that I noticed is that in BG2 you can Dual class (once) or Multi-Class but you're stuck with those classes. In W&W you can switch roles alot. My goal is to play thru as one or two classes and then start over so by the end I'll have a bunch of characters that can do almost anything. BG2 is a very enjoyable game but I do feel that W&W 'pulls' you into the game more.
Benihaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 05:34 PM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the W&W board, onthepequod!!!!

(Like your handle! Just rewatched the Peck movie version of Moby Dick not that long ago)

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 09:26 PM   #8
Mr-Eiz
Drow Warrior

I love both games
but WW is better
you can do things out of since
in BG yu have to do this before you can do that
but in WW you can go back and what you missed

------------------

Hi Ho Hi Ho
It's of to play we go

T H A N K S
Eiz
Mr-Eiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 09:34 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr-Eiz:
I love both games
but WW is better
you can do things out of since
in BG yu have to do this before you can do that
but in WW you can go back and what you missed

Oh, I see! What you mean is that BG2 is fairly linear? In a way, W&W is, but you can do things out of sequence between major events (like you can't get to Ishad N'ha before you complete the Crypt, but you can do anything you want to around the Valeia area before that point.)

Good point, Mr-Eiz!

-Sazerac
Old 05-25-2001, 09:39 PM   #10
Tkoto
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well i've never played BG2, but i can say i have Ice Wind dale, and BG1 under my belt. I think there totaly diffent, and i wouldn't want to choose one. I love W&W for its large range of charater options, and im a sucker for eye candy, W&W has great graphics, and the charater models are enjoyable to drool at. So in my current state of mind i would choose W&W.

------------------
Tkoto is offline   Reply With Quote