Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-27-2001, 01:37 PM   #1
Vanyel
Dungeon Master

Ok, I know, basicly, how the "rules" of the game run. But I was wondering if anyone could tell me where, for free (like posted on line) can I find a book of D&D rules or something. I just don't know enough about them to understand some things. Like THACo, or why a -ac is better than a +ac. I mean I'm not a moron, I know that -5 ac in good, but why? also, how "long" are casting times? What is the speed factor of all my weapons. Which is better 2D4+2 or 3D6? How do to Spells and Hp numbers get picked each time you level up? I know I'm asking alot, but These are the things that bug me the most. You know, the "little" things.

------------------
Hey Big Bird!!
It's time for the counter game!!

Count The Shells,
Suck-A-Duck!

~General of the Dark Overlord's Army of Darkness~
Old 08-27-2001, 02:23 PM   #2
I Give Up
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm not sure about a free online source for the rules but I know how you could do the research for free. Go to a comic book store or a similar store and pick up a Player's Handbook 2nd:edition and thumb through it until you find your answers. Hope I helped. 2d4+2 = 2, 4 sided dice plus a bonus of 2. THACO is best as a negative number because your victim that you attack must subtract your THACO from theirs to calculate their saving throw. (2{their THACO} - -5{your THACO}=7) They must roll a 7 or higer to save themselves from damage. I hope I'm not butchering the rules here but that's my understanding. Each turn/round is about 6 real seconds, so casting time would be the number of rounds listed in the manual times 6 seconds. As far as the spells and HP go up for each level I just refer to the charts in the manual or in the player's handbook. Anyone feel free to step in and fill in the blanks that I'm sure I left.

------------------
--Retreat is not an option--

Old 08-27-2001, 03:21 PM   #3
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

One correction: spell casting time and weapon speed is in Segments, not rounds. One segment is one tenth of a round. Weapon speed only affects the First strike with the weapon, if you have 3 attacks/round, you will hit 3 times not matter the speed of your weapon. Also, let's say two fighters are fighting. Both have 3 attacks per round. One has weapons speed 2, the other 4. Then the one with speed 2 will hit first, then the other, they will alternate hits until both make 3 attacks.
Old 08-27-2001, 04:58 PM   #4
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Actually weapon speed is just the base # used in who determines who attacks first. Every round iniative is rolled and the weapon speed (and any initiave modifiers) are added to your initiative roll to see who attacks first.
Old 08-27-2001, 05:42 PM   #5
DEADMAN
Manshoon

You can try looking for a 2nd ed AD&D rules, but there getting scarcer since 3rd ed took over. But on THACO ( to hit armor class 0) this means if your character has a THACO of 7 it means your character needs to roll a 7 or higher on a d20 resulting in a 1-20 result. So your character has a 70% chance to hit ac 0. Now on a negative armor class you just add this so on a ac -7 you add this to your THACO, so you need a 14 now, so only have a 40% chance to hit.On a positive # like ac 5 you subtract so would need a 2, the lowest you can go since a 1 is a fumble.This is not as confusing as I make it, I' m just bad at explaining. To clarify on damage dice like 2d4+2 and 3d6. On 2d4+2 you do roll 2 4 sided dice resulting in 2-8 with a bonus of +2 so resulting in a range of 4-10. while 3d6 has a range of 3-18, so is better because of a better chance of higher damage with a average damage range of 9-12. This of course counts on the number generator in BG2 works like rollinig dice. With weapons its best to look at minimum damage to max damage potential if you dont want to go through the headache of figuring probabilty sich as broadsword 2d4 against longsword 1d8.On speed factor, the lower the better and best to look in the back of the manual since its there, and casting times are in the spell descriptions, but work pretty much the same. On hp there in the book again but I play where you get max hp per lvl.So a fighter class recieves 10 plus con bonus since he recieves a d10, for fighters con also gets a better bonus over 16 unlike everybody else. Barbarians are a d12, clerics/druids are a d8, thieves and bards a d6 and mages a measly d4 . After 9th lvl classes recieve a fixed amount and no con bonuses, for ex a fighter will start recieving 3hp from lvl 9 on. On spell levels best to look at the tables in the manual.This is getting quite long isnt it. Hopefully I got everything. Tell me if you need to know how hp work for multi classing.
Old 08-27-2001, 11:08 PM   #6
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

And hit dice is the number of rolled dices of character's Hp right?

For example, 4 HD Monster 4d6 + 6 HP

I may be wrong, if I'm wrong in any point please correct me
Old 08-28-2001, 02:08 PM   #7
DEADMAN
Manshoon

On hit dice for monsters there figured on a d8 so a 4 hit dice monster would roll 4 d4 for a result of 4-16 hps, bonuses are only added if in the monster description such as 4d4+2.
Old 08-28-2001, 03:32 PM   #8
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

4d4 or 4d8? If monsters roll d8 it must be 4d8 right? 4-32
Old 08-28-2001, 03:41 PM   #9
Neb
Account deleted by Request

4d8.
Old 08-29-2001, 12:45 PM   #10
DEADMAN
Manshoon

yep, 4d8, was thinking on something else and forgot to double check, sorry