Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2002, 05:21 AM   #11
Davros
Takhisis Follower

quote:
Originally posted by ʆë®Ñï†Ý:
~clapps and does a lil' dance~ I'm about to become an Engineering student! Yes siree!!! Me, would you believe it?! ~proud look~ *peeks around* anyone have nething I should look at/investigate? ~gglz~

*tilts head* heehee great jokes!! ~beaming~ Love the management one too! ~chuckles~ If ONLY management did engineering too! Then they'd actually know what they were talking about. ~sad look and shakes head~ unfortunately too many are just filled with hot air

Heehee, Imperial college london should be fun! ~happy~ London... *dreamy sigh* shopping... ~sinkz into a happy puddle contemplating my next shopping trip~

EDIT: *poutz* can't type... ~rollz eyes~ too much integration has frazzled the poor lil' brain cell which I share with my best friends.

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: ʆë®Ñï†Ý ]

~gigglz n grynzz~ Eternitease in the Institute of Engineers **winkzz @ U - that will liven up the playce** wot type of engibeer r u going 2 b Miss Eternitally . Is Avatart a gingerbeer 2???????? Now keep the language clean on dis thread- i thaought u said "integration" b4 - next thing wee no u kood b throwing terms like Laplace or Wronskian about - I warn you that NE mention of **whispers** ~Jacobi Polynomials~ (shuush) is likely to attract the high off smiting forces of the Enginerr Moderator .

(Oh noooooooo..... I said it - ducks head)
Old 03-06-2002, 05:26 PM   #12
ʆë®Ñï†Ý
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Davros:

~gigglz n grynzz~ Eternitease in the Institute of Engineers **winkzz @ U - that will liven up the playce** wot type of engibeer r u going 2 b Miss Eternitally . Is Avatart a gingerbeer 2???????? Now keep the language clean on dis thread- i thaought u said "integration" b4 - next thing wee no u kood b throwing terms like Laplace or Wronskian about - I warn you that NE mention of **whispers** ~Jacobi Polynomials~ (shuush) is likely to attract the high off smiting forces of the Enginerr Moderator .

(Oh noooooooo..... I said it - ducks head)

~blinkz~ the engineer moderator? *looks around* who? what? where?

*gglz* I sure hope to have oodles of fun wherever I go! ~beaming~ *noddz* make lotsa friends and play with kewl gadgets

I'm gonna be an Electrical and Electronic Engineer. *excited grynz* Avvy's doing a straight Engineering course at Cambridge uni so I guess he's not specialsing at all yet. ~makes a face~ poor baby'll have to learn allllllll of engineering, even the not so fun bits.

Heh, they should make paper out of sugar cane residue ~noddz~ it's very white and fibrous. Then we could keep our trees *beaming* and I expect the processing needed after sugar cane has been processed for sugar is much less than that of processing trees. Therefore it would be more cost efficient! ~clapps~ wouldn't that be great?! Use another industry's waste as our raw material, just like breeder nuclear power stations! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2002, 05:36 PM   #13
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

TOP 20 ENGINEERS' TERMINOLOGIES (AS USED BY ALL CHEMICAL ENGINEERS)

1. A NUMBER OF DIFFERENT APPROACHES ARE BEING TRIED - We are still pissing in the wind.

2. EXTENSIVE REPORT IS BEING PREPARED ON A FRESH APPROACH TO THE PROBLEM - We just hired three kids fresh out of college.

3. CLOSE PROJECT COORDINATION - We know who to blame.

4. MAJOR TECHNOLOGICAL BREAKTHROUGH - It works OK, but looks very hi-tech.

5. CUSTOMER SATISFACTION IS DELIVERED ASSURED - We are so far behind schedule the customer is happy to get it delivered.

6. PRELIMINARY OPERATIONAL TESTS WERE INCONCLUSIVE - The darn thing blew up when we threw the switch.

7. TEST RESULTS WERE EXTREMELY GRATIFYING - We are so surprised that the stupid thing works.

8. THE ENTIRE CONCEPT WILL HAVE TO BE ABANDONED - The only person who understood the thing quit.

9. IT IS IN THE PROCESS - It is so wrapped up in red tape that the situation is about hopeless.

10. WE WILL LOOK INTO IT - Forget it! We have enough problems for now.

11. PLEASE NOTE AND INITIAL - Let's spread the responsibility for the screw up.

12. GIVE US THE BENEFIT OF YOUR THINKING - We'll listen to what you have to say as long as it doesn't interfere with what we've already done.

13. GIVE US YOUR INTERPRETATION - I can't wait to hear this bull!

14. SEE ME or LET'S DISCUSS - Come into my office, I'm lonely.

15. ALL NEW - Parts not interchangeable with the previous design.

16. RUGGED - Too damn heavy to lift!

17. LIGHTWEIGHT - Lighter than RUGGED.

18. YEARS OF DEVELOPMENT - One finally worked.

19. ENERGY SAVING - Achieved when the power switch is off.

20. LOW MAINTENANCE - Impossible to fix if broken.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 03-06-2002, 05:42 PM   #14
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Oh very funny
Old 03-06-2002, 05:53 PM   #15
ʆë®Ñï†Ý
Zhentarim Guard

~rotflmclao~ that is good *gglz*

Keep these wonderful jokes coming! [img]smile.gif[/img]

wanna delete ur repeat post?
Old 03-07-2002, 04:29 AM   #16
Davros
Takhisis Follower

quote:

Heh, they should make paper out of sugar cane residue ~noddz~ it's very white and fibrous. Then we could keep our trees *beaming* and I expect the processing needed after sugar cane has been processed for sugar is much less than that of processing trees. Therefore it would be more cost efficient! ~clapps~ wouldn't that be great?! Use another industry's waste as our raw material, just like breeder nuclear power stations! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

Re-use the waste streams. Great idea Sir, but (as Kryten said to the Cat) with two minor flaws. One, there are no waste streams in sugar processing, and Two, there are no waste streams in sugar processing. Now Miss Eternitease, that might seem like only one mistake, but it was such a biggy that I thought it worth mentioning twice .

The fibres from sugar cane processing are not waste. They are burnt in the factory boilers (instead of fossil fuels) to generate power and electrickery. The sugar mill I used to work for (ie 8 years pre University, in a hellhole responsible for making me give up Chemistry for Chemical Engineering) managed to generate all it's own power and steam, and export 10MW to the local grid. The only purchased power and fossil fuel used was in factory restart. AsI mentioned there are no waste streams from sugar processing - mud is sent back to the farms as fertiliser, molasses is sold off to ethanol and rum distilleries, and sugar is money (well sometimes).

It is a fact of some great mirth, that the compound that is the single worst chemical blight on sugar processing rate and yield is the wonder drug of a million uses when it comes to alumina manufacturing .

BAD Mousey, BAD, BAD Mousey - they were general engineer sayings - someone has shared a pint with Mouse-Boy, so he knows someone is a Chemical Engineer . Although I do recall trying a number of aproaches at work today .
Old 03-07-2002, 12:40 PM   #17
ʆë®Ñï†Ý
Zhentarim Guard

~blinkz~ ohhh oops *gglz* it's just.. after eating my sugar cane I noticed how white and fibrous the left over looked ~grynz~ well thankiees for telling me babes ~smmmooooooooooooooooooocccchheeesss~ *feeling a lil' bit less ignorant* [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]

I shoulda known as soon as I used feeder reactors as a comparison that the whole idea would go down the drain oh dear... it was a "hell hole"? and u gave up chem cuz of it? ~peeps up at u~ but chem is fun....!

"It is a fact of some great mirth, that the compound that is the single worst chemical blight on sugar processing rate and yield is the wonder drug of a million uses when it comes to alumina manufacturing ."

*cogs in head grind to a halt* ~tilts head~ are you talking about alcohol? alumina manufacturing? what's that? How exactly do they get the sugar outtah the sugar cane? I thought glucose was fermented to make ethanol which is useful in internal combustion engines? ~confuddled~ [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2002, 05:26 PM   #18
Davros
Takhisis Follower

quote:
~blinkz~ ohhh oops *gglz* it's just.. after eating my sugar cane I noticed how white and fibrous the left over looked ~grynz~ well thankiees for telling me babes ~smmmooooooooooooooooooocccchheeesss~ *feeling a lil' bit less ignorant* [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]

I shoulda known as soon as I used feeder reactors as a comparison that the whole idea would go down the drain oh dear... it was a "hell hole"? and u gave up chem cuz of it? ~peeps up at u~ but chem is fun....!

"It is a fact of some great mirth, that the compound that is the single worst chemical blight on sugar processing rate and yield is the wonder drug of a million uses when it comes to alumina manufacturing ."

*cogs in head grind to a halt* ~tilts head~ are you talking about alcohol? alumina manufacturing? what's that? How exactly do they get the sugar outtah the sugar cane? I thought glucose was fermented to make ethanol which is useful in internal combustion engines? ~confuddled~ [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Grynzz an winkz 4 Eternity . I should qualify my statement about no waste stream - typically, sugar mills produce about 15% more bagasse (the pithy fibre remains) than the amount required to generate their power and steam requirements. If plants don't have extra boiler and TA cpacity installed (let's face it, not everyone will), then they do have to find a place to dispose of that 15%.

Chem is fun, I agree, but there's no 2 much money or career path in it. The Chem course I took (designed for the Sugar Industry) exposed me to several Chem Eng subjects, and I liked those even more. When I say hellhole - it was a case of please queue up and wait for 20 years for someone to drop off th perch before we will consider you for the smallest promotion. With Chem Eng however, if I want to shift around the world I can do that relatively easily.

The single biggest blight thing - if Sugar cane is burnt, then it rains, the decomposition rate soars. Bacterial attack generates a compound that affects mud settling rate, distorts sugar crystal growth, and kills sugar / molasses iltration rates (centrifugal). That same lil beastie, in the Alumina industry, improves settling in mud and tray thickeners, and is a huge boost to filtration rate. There is almost nothing it cannot do. Oh, you refine Alumina from Bauxite, then you smelt Alumina in Aluminium (yes that last "i" is pronounced ).

You can ferment glucose into ethanol. The common commercial practise however, is to extract most of the sucrose that you can from your sugar cane syrup (about 60% - sell as sugar), then use the remains (molasses - 40%) as the feed source to the ethanol plant.

Sugar out of sugar cane - my u arsks a lots o questionables . The steps are :
1) - Shred cane
2) Squeeze out juice roller mills
3) Heat it up and hold for 40 mins to destroy natural starch
4) Add lime and heat to 104 deg C - flash back to just under atmospheric boiling point.
5) Add flocculant and settle out mud (typically soil from the farms)
6) Evaporate to syrup to increase supersaturation
7) Evaporate some more - seed with existing sugar crystals (finely grinded) and grow sugar on these
8) Seperate the sugar xals from molasses via centrifugation
9) dry xals - raw sugar .

Wow - long posterooney thing huh .
Old 03-08-2002, 08:57 AM   #19
Moiraine
Anubis

quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
TOP 20 ENGINEERS' TERMINOLOGIES (AS USED BY ALL CHEMICAL ENGINEERS)

1. A NUMBER OF DIFFERENT APPROACHES ARE BEING TRIED - We are still pissing in the wind.

Pissing in the wind is an approach I haven't yet tried. Seems promising ...