Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 12-16-2003, 03:00 AM   #1
sagtattman
Dungeon Master

can anyone help i have just upgraded my computer with a brand new second hand computerand i would like to know how to shift my saved games fromthe old to the new one i have saved the games on to floppy but now im stuck or am i going about it wrong altogether?????????????? if any one can help i wont have to start from scratch again thanks sagtattman
sagtattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 03:45 AM   #2
Radek
Red Dragon

What's wrong? What have you done to your saved games?
Old 12-16-2003, 06:20 AM   #3
sagtattman
Dungeon Master

sorry im a bit of a dope when it comes to these things the situation is i have saved my saved games to floppy disc . i still have the old computer with saved games on it , both systems are running ME new and old . my problem is that i dont know how to transfer my saved games on floppy to the new computer or even where to start . i can open the floppy on the new one but i dont know where to go from there . if i put CD 2in it starts up as a new game with no party members at all (clean slate) and no saved games . like i said i know stuff all when it come to these things but im enjoying the game so much and it looks like its running a lot better on the new system i dont want to loose all my hard work . i have still got it all on the old system but if i have to dump it and start again so be it (but i would rather keep going from where i left off ). i hope some one can make sence of what im talking about and hopefully help me out thanks sagtattman
Old 12-16-2003, 08:26 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Hi sagtattman!!

This won't be that difficult - I'll try to walk you through it all.

You not only need the saved games which should be in the save folder, you also need the roster.dat file as well. If you don't know where to find that, check the folders in your W&W directory. If your files are listed alphabetically, you should find it pretty easily - I think it may actually be in the same folder as the saved games but I no don't have W&W installed on this machine.

Once you have all your saved files and the roster.dat on your floppy, pop that into the new machine.
NOTE WHICH FOLDER these files were in on your old machine - again, I think it is the "Save" folder
Open your windows explorer and click to access your floppy drive.
You should then see a list of your saved games and roster.dat. Select them all - you can do that from the menu or click on the top most file and while holding down the shift key hit the END key - they should all be highlighted.

hit CONTROL C (copy) (hold down the control key and then hit the "c" key)
now you can either change your window to the W&W save folder or open another window and change to the W&W save folder.
Once you are in the Save folder hit CONTROL V (hold down the control key and then hit the "v" key).
You should then see that your files are being copied to the Save directory.

IF the roster.dat file was not stored in the Save folder on your old machine, copy it to whichever folder it was in on the new machine.

Hope I haven't confused you!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 06:36 PM   #5
sagtattman
Dungeon Master

thanks wyvern heaps im pretty slow when it comes to thinking about stuff but i have got it sussed out now had to down load winzip to get the games onto the floppy but they are on there now now i have to download winzip on the new one and i should be right iam thinking it would be better to load up wizards from the cd first then load up the floppys ill give it a go and let you know how i go thanks again sagtattman
Old 12-18-2003, 07:45 PM   #6
sagtattman
Dungeon Master

hi just me again ihave transferd all the files over and looked high and low for the roster.dat but cant find it anywhere is it possibale that it is called something else?? i will try to get a friend to have alook from this end and see what he can find thanks again heaps sagtattman
Old 12-18-2003, 09:42 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

On my system, roster.dat is found in the main W&W install directory. It's not in the save directory. Try looking there [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 05:27 AM   #8
sagtattman
Dungeon Master

thanks bungleau found it ok installed it as per wyverns instructions and i dont know what went on but ive got all of my party with the extras that i made no problems but i didnt get any of my saved games and because i took a trip back to valeia to visit old friends after getting the mavin sword looks cool but getting back to it i have got no saved games but all of my party have still got all of thier aquired skills i have to go over all the old ground which hopefully wont take to long ah well its that stuff that happens all the time ill accept it unless some one else has got any ideas but it is running a lot better than on the old system quicker clearer better so thanks for all the help sagtattman
Old 12-19-2003, 09:58 AM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Wow! That's a lot of words in one breath [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you didn't get any saved games, then you didn't move over the contents of your save directory properly. You should restore roster.dat to the W&W level, and put all the save games in the save directory below it, overwriting anything that might be there.

But if you're satisfied, just go out there and kill something [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:03 PM   #10
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I hate to ask this - did you remember to unzip the save game files into your SAVE folder? I always seem to overlook the most obvious things so no insult is intended!

With Roster.dat in the W&W folder (Thanks Bungleau!) and the save game files in the Save folder, they should show up when you play W&W.

Hope you are able to get it sorted out!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote