Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2004, 07:36 AM   #11
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

you know, we should make a sticky with a whole bunch of links for spyware and antivirus free online scanning and stuff to save you guys the hassle of retyping it all the time. thanks btw.

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-07-2004, 08:13 AM   #12
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Larry: is it safe to just delete these files?
Old 08-07-2004, 10:16 AM   #13
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
Larry: is it safe to just delete these files?
I removed them, and nothing bad has happened, if that is what you mean. If they have control of your browser, you'll just have to reasign the homepage is all.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:53 AM   #14
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

I use Zone Alarm Pro and i highly recommend it, even the free version is great, I’ve got nothing bad to say against zone alarm, it protects efficiently and reliably, although it sometimes screws up the program list, that is the programs i have given internet rites, which is annoying, but other than that, go with zone alarm.

[ 08-07-2004, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Intrepid ]
Old 08-07-2004, 01:58 PM   #15
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Educate, please, dear Willow. What do you find that ZA is lacking? If I'm not using a good (or good enough) tool, I'd just as soon change it.
You don't get IP-blocking, which is VERY nifty when dealing with virus infected computers. You get safety zones, a bunch of *bad word* that interferes with normal internet activity etc. Sure it's handy very handy if you simply want install and surf wihtout having to do anything yourself (Norton's firewall is also one of these). But if you want a firewall that doesn't interfere unless you specifically tell it to, then ZA is not for you. If I were to recommend a free one, go with Outpost. It's user friendly and very, very good! Oh and it beats the dang out of Zonelarm. [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you want to invest in a firewall get outpost pro or Sygate pro. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Ooopsie, wrong quote.

[ 08-07-2004, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 08-07-2004, 04:47 PM   #16
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

ZA Pro has IP blocking.

I also don't understand what you mean about ZA being obtrusive. Once you've set it up, ZA is very unobtrusive - unless a piece of software is trying to access the internet without your knowledge. That kind of obtrusive I want.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:10 PM   #17
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... so far, you haven't convinced me, Willow. ZA has, among its zones, a Blocked Zone. I can take that IP and stick it in there, and if I decide to like it later, I can move it back.

I have noticed that the privacy control thing is really annoying, but I turn it on and tell it to hide itself. It stops bothering me then, and keeps on working.

Soooo.... what else am I missing? Pray tell... I'd rather be smart than right [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:03 AM   #18
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I detected it and removed it with : http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan

None of my spyware searchers/blockers caught it.
Only this program (link) did.

thanks larry, when i finally did a search it actually caught 10 viruses hiding in my computer.

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-08-2004, 04:38 AM   #19
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Only delete those files Larry say, dont overdo the thing about viruses they are pretty rare anyway, i use a virus scan IF i think i have it and in most 99% i dont have it so in 15 years i got only 4 viruses om my computer.
Only thing to remember is to NOT i say NOT open any attachment mails if you dont know the person who sendt it.
So those Zonealarm and thingys is annoying you dont get any viruses browsing the net and posting like here and i also turn of the broadband modem when i'm not on the net that is secure as hell!
And not all you find with virus scanner is viruses it is spyware they remove those too the virus scanners so don't worry if Norton (virusprogram) or a spyware progran like AdAware find 100 thingies it is only spyware thingys that are not any dangerous only annoying and slow down your computer

So use the Spybot and AdAware once in the week then you are pretty safe and viruscanners ONLY if you think you have one not all the time that is time vasted!

Zonealarm?? sheesh get rid of it asap only crap it dont do nothing good exept make you feel more safe and it dont i have seen the code it uses and it is SO easy no way to use it is only humbug !!

So the thing is turn of the modem when you are not online then turn it on when you are thinking browsing the net simple as that.

I also rekomand you to use the "spam" filter in Hotmail if you use Hotmail it is wery good! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-08-2004, 05:59 AM: Message edited by: Megabot ]