Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2002, 02:32 PM   #1
theholyavenger
Manshoon

The device manager in the the system says that the device is working properly, but the cd burner wouldn't do anything after i insert discs in. I tried opening the e: dirve manually in my computer, but it displays nothing even though i have programs on my disc. I even tried setting the cd burner as the 1st bootable device in the bios but the computer just skipped booting the Win XP disc and go into windows. The only method that i can think of now is that there's a hardware problem related to my cd burner, but i avoided opening my computer and inspecting the cd burner since i know nothing about hardwares. I kinda out of ideas here, so please HELP!!!Thank you in advance.
\"There once was a warrior true,<br />with the sense knocked out of him, too.<br />But in a hamster he found,<br />some wisdom profound,<br />and now where goes he goes his Boo!\"<br /><br />~Crazy Celvan in Baldur\'s Gate II Shadows of Amn
Old 12-30-2002, 02:36 PM   #2
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

A mate of mine had real problems with his burner until he dowloaded a program called "nero". The software that came with it was u/s. (thats unservicable not united states).
Old 12-30-2002, 02:42 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

Sounds more severe than that though. Windows can detect the drive, but the drive cant read discs. Thats pretty bad. All the hardware that you can fix yourself is working (except, maybe, the IDE ribbon cable may be partialy disconnected, but I doubt it).
Old 12-30-2002, 03:09 PM   #4
theholyavenger
Manshoon

I just check the cables connecting to my cd burner and nothing's disconnected. Since my cd burner is my primary disc drive, if i set my bios to boot from cd rom first, then the computer would surely access the disc in my cd burner rather than my hard disk. This way i can format my computer using the Win XP disc. But since the cd drive is not functioning, the stupid computer completely skipped the process and went on loading Win XP, that made it impossible to install a clean Win XP again! Still, any more ideas?
\"There once was a warrior true,<br />with the sense knocked out of him, too.<br />But in a hamster he found,<br />some wisdom profound,<br />and now where goes he goes his Boo!\"<br /><br />~Crazy Celvan in Baldur\'s Gate II Shadows of Amn
Old 12-30-2002, 03:12 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

Boot with a win98 boot disc and see if you can read the CD with that. If so, then go to www.microsoft.com and lookup the XP boot floppy download. Run that program and it will create a set of six floppies that will boot up the same way the CD would, and then let you install from CD.

But if you cant read the CD from the win98 boot disc, you have a hardware failure.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:13 PM   #6
Blade
Emerald Dragon

if it came with drivers you could try installing them, that is if you have another drive that does read disks. As for the booting your hard drive should be on one cable and any other cd/dvd drives on the other. Which cd/dvd drive you select for master doesn't really matter besides it looks at it first. Which device your computer boots from is set up in the bios options you could double check that it is in the right spot and the disk in the right drive. As for the drive not reading disks try cleaning the lenses in the drive it might help.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:28 PM   #7
theholyavenger
Manshoon

As i recalled, i have installed a cracked version of PowerQuest Drive Image 2002 and tried to backup a whole image of my hard drive onto cd-roms. The drive image prompted me for restart before it can burn an image of my hard drive, i did as directed but after the 1st disk it created, a window popped up saying something like an "error and invalid media", from that time on, my cd burner wouldn't function anymore. So, i doubt it's a hardware problem that's affecting my cd burner...

If only there's a way i can format my computer...
Old 12-30-2002, 03:43 PM   #8
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Boot from a W98 boot floppy with CD drivers. If you can read a CD from the DOS prompt, then that program messed up your windows drivers. I don't think this is the case though. Have you been able to boot from your CD before? If so, make sure your CD is set as the primary boot device in BIOS. Then disconnect the HDD and see if your PC will boot from the CD. If not, play taps for your CD drive, because it died a good death. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ummm, sorry. You're probably not amused.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:08 PM   #9
theholyavenger
Manshoon

Ummm...the only problem is that i don't have a win 98 boot disk, can i substitute with the rescue disks that was created with the driveimage 2002 program?

I tried accessing that drive with command prompt but it says that the "drive is not ready", but it has no problem going to my dvd drive...

Also, andrewas, as an IT support, can i email you about my problem?Thank you.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:53 PM   #10
andrewas
Harper

Sure, go ahead and email me. Ill wait till morning and sobriety (+hangover ) before thinking to much more though.

If you can get to a win98 machine, you can create a boot disk on it with

format a: /s
copy c:\windows\command\ebd\*.* a:\

If you boot with that disk, you wont be able to see your harddrive unless you made it fat32, but if your CD-R has any life left in it, you should be able to read a CD.

If you cant, then Im afraid its dead, probably permanently and even if it is reperable, probly cost more to fix than replace. Maybe a dead laser assembly or something would be a simple fix, but I would just go for a new one.