Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 01-18-2001, 01:38 PM   #11
BLACK KNIGHT

OK. Base THAC0 (To Hit Armor Class Zero) is a measure of how hard it would be for you to hit something with AC (Armor Class) = Zero. Meaning what you have to roll on a twenty sided dice (1d20) to hit that person/creature/thing. Experience, Class, Dexterity, and what Armor the person/creature/thing is wearing affects what their AC is.

What Determines your THAC0? What Level your PC is, what type of Character, and how Proficient you are with your weapon of choice.

If their AC is, say 2 and your THAC0 is 5. If you need a 5 to hit armor class 0, then you need a 3 to hit an AC of 2 (the lower your AC, the harder it is to hit you). But what if their AC is -2. If you need a 5 to hit AC 0, and AC of -2 is harder to hit than 0, that makes your roll on a 1d20 needs to be higher than your THAC0 minus their AC of -2. So you would need a 7 (or higher) to hit AC of -2.

Here is the Formula: Take your THAC0 and SUBTRACT their AC (remembering if you subtract a negative, you are really just going to change the second number to a positive and add). Any questions?

Base Damage goes the same way. Each Weapon has a hit dice associated with it. A two handed sword has a 1d10, while a long sword has 1d8. Mace 1d6, Daggar 1d4. The 1dX means that you roll an X sided die with and whatever number is on top, that is your Base Damage. So if you Hit with a long sword, you roll a 1d10. You get a 9. You did 9 points of damage to whatever you hit. So whatever you hit has 9 less hit points than it did a second ago.

The Tricky part comes in with the modifiers.

On Melee Weapons, if you have a high enough Str, you get certain pluses onto your rolls. Take Minsc with his 18/00 STR, he gets a +3 on his To Hit rolls, and a +6 on his damage rolls. So if his Base THAC0 is 5 add his Stregth bonus to his 1d20 roll. His Damage is done in the same way. Just add +6 to whatever you roll for the damage.

In order to use the weapon with no minuses, you have to have one Proficiency slot used on it. (ya know, the pluses beside the weapon). This allows you to not be clumsy with the weapon. Which makes sense. If you have never seen a bow before, does it make sense that you will brandish it nearly as well as the sword that you have practiced with for 6 months? The more Proficiency slots (pluses) you have, the more your pluses. See your guide or manual for a more accurate account.

AND there is the weapon itself. If it is a PLUS +5 HOLY AVENGER, then add 5 to both your to hit roll and your damage roll.

SO, if you have a +5 Holy Avenger and you are double proficient in it and you have a STR of 18/00, you get +1 for you proficiency, +3 for STR, and +5 for the sword itself, for a total of +9 on top of what you roll on the 1d20.

Damagewise (with same scenario) +2 for proficiency, +6 for STR and +5 for the sword gets you +13 on your damage rolls.

WHEW. The worst thing is, this all changes slightly with 3rd edition rules. But you get the idea. It is a lot easier than it sounds. On the above character, when you roll your to hit roll, just add 9 to it. When you roll your damage, add 13.

Hopefully, this answers your question. Armisel is right. Bonuses are good.

BK

Old 01-18-2001, 02:00 PM   #12
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hey, great answer BK.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me, it's really appreciated. Yeah, things are in the manual accepted. IMHO the manual isn't laid out too good and there seems to be a lot of back and forth within the pages to find definitive answers to definitive questions. It's usually during play that my questions come up, personally I've found that I can spend too much time raking the pages for answers...time that I would rather devote to the game itself. It's easier (I don't mean to sound lazy) to post a Q on these boards and I must say that the answers are more descriptive and in depth than those in the manual, as is proven by your great post above....Thanks again.

P.S. Is there a method to find out a creatures/opponents AC prior to or during an attack?

P.P.S. You're obviously informed, are there any ways to permanently increase any of your stat's in BG2...ie the books/tomes in BG1?
Old 01-19-2001, 02:06 AM   #13
Armisael

Nope, no tomes in BG2. At the end you get a few pluses to yer stats, but like I said, it's at the end, and I won't spoil it for you. Only way you can find the AC of something is to check it out in an AD&D monster manual - go here for the online version, BG2 monsters are fairly accurate to their AD&D counterparts - or check it through infinity explorer, which is trickier.